Thread: Here is a good one for all of you. What does it mean when they say AUTHORITY!

Lightbulb Here is a good one for all of you. What does it mean when they say AUTHORITY!

This not a trick ? but, its a very serious one that needs to be adressed ASAP. Lets see who understands it. Please give me your input.

When I hear 'Authority" I think expert in a given context. For example I know a Professor who I would consider an authority in networking.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    it means that, if you recognize it, you are voluntarily placing yourself under that person/organization because you believe yourself to be lesser than them
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Authority = control.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Smile

Authority = CADL (Capital Area District Library)

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Banned
    "authority" is one that has the power, granted by the legislature, to perform the tasks and actions associated with the law the legislature passed.

Banned
    Cadl

Banned

Angry

^^^ WTF is with the auto censoring lower case?!? Acronyms need to be all caps.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-07-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    ^^^ WTF is with the auto censoring lower case?!? Acronyms need to be all caps.
    If you had mixed the initialism into an actual sentence, it would have left it as all-caps. But since your entire post consisted of all-caps, the forum software puts it into title case automatically. This is a merciful provision for those new or stubborn people that don't realize how much slower it is to read something that is in all-caps.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    I thought it was there to help stop people from yelling on threads, something that even I loathe.

Authority is always relative, until you get to God. Up to that point, someone is putting something into that position of temporary (to some degree) authority. These authorities often do not recognize their powers as delegated, nor their responsibility to their constituents, nor their temporary nature, unfortunately.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    power, granted by the legislature.
    Where does the Legislature derive the authority to grant power?

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Where does the Legislature derive the authority to grant power?

Bronson
    Presumably, from the people who approved their constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Presumably, from the people who approved their constitution.
    [SARCASM] Wait, you mean the Legislature doesn't actually have any power of its own?! It only has the power that we give it? People need to know about this. This. Changes. Everything. [/SARCASM]

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by MRMIKE40CAL View Post
    This not a trick ? but, its a very serious one that needs to be adressed ASAP. Lets see who understands it. Please give me your input.
    What this means is we better start a Rally about our Govement braking laws. You Can not use any form of Goverment(city, township) to make another form of Goverment calling it an Authority. This is happening all over Michigan. We need to all stick together and expose this to the media. This is illegal and unconstitutional!

LETS TAKE ACTION!

What this means is we better start a Rally about our Govement braking laws. You Can not use any form of Goverment(city, township) to make another form of Goverment calling it an Authority. This is happening all over Michigan. We need to all stick together and expose this to the media. This is illegal and unconstitutional!

LETS TAKE ACTION!
    I don't understand why you did not just post this in your original post. What's up with the guessing games?
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Banned
    Maybe he's just new at this. He's got a post count of 12, let's treat him like we want him here, and maybe he will stay.

I kinda like the suspense. Look how many of you payed attention?

cast.... reel... BAM! Truth bomb...

Lightbulb

LETS TAKE ACTION!
    Agreed. I'd say even with most of us joking note no one denied it's a form of government.

I've asked several friends without being on the subject of guns "is the Kalamazoo South County Fire Authority a local unit of government? They all said Yes. We need to get a definition in the law that an Authority IS a part of local government.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Agreed. I'd say even with most of us joking note no one denied it's a form of government.

I've asked several friends without being on the subject of guns "is the Kalamazoo South County Fire Authority a local unit of government? They all said Yes. We need to get a definition in the law that an Authority IS a part of local government.
    And as soon as the word "Authority" is added to the law the name will change to... oh.. I don't know...

Library Coalition..

Library Council..

Because, in my humble opinion, this whole thing really isn't about guns at all.... it is all about setting a precedent that units of government can establish an entirely separate and unaccountable to the law.... unit of government simply by changing the name.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 08-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.