• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Winnebago citation

Vitaeus

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So I would gather that if the RV is one the road, its a vehicle but in a trailer park, its a home..

Its a retarded ruling, like all other exceptions to the 4th amendment....they can secure the motor home and get a warrant...police can secure a car and get a warrant. If the people are out of a car or RV, then why is not a warrant required? Its bad case law that requires so many twists and turns to get to where they got, you know its bad case law.

sudden valley gunner

Another great dissent by Sanders, and another watering down of rights by the majority.

Vote Sanders!

I gotta say though the lady was dumb for wandering around during a stop.

Fibresteve

My wife and I just took the class required to get our Oregon CHL last week. The class included some WA state law. One of the things the instructor told us was once you park your motor home, travel trailer or camper that it is considered your home. Is this not true?

Vitaeus

I expect the answer to that would be ...Maybe. The cited case deals with a traffic stop as the initial encounter, if you mean parked in a campground or RV lot, I expect the answer would be yes,parked at a gas station or some other temporary stop, I doubt it.

The other question is does anyone have a cite for how long/convoluted your trip to or from a .060 exception can last?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I expect the answer to that would be ...Maybe. The cited case deals with a traffic stop as the initial encounter, if you mean parked in a campground or RV lot, I expect the answer would be yes,parked at a gas station or some other temporary stop, I doubt it.

The other question is does anyone have a cite for how long/convoluted your trip to or from a .060 exception can last?

LE is going to have some discretion in this manner...

View attachment StarksResponse8-17-11.pdf

Difdi

I'm not aware of any rulings on that in Washington. I've run across mention of that from other places, most recently in Washington D.C. (definitely not a good place for gun owners).

From what I've read, if you're going direct, you're covered. If you stop for lunch on the way, you're probably covered, but might not be; You should be, but not all courts and cops agree. In one of those D.C. examples I mentioned, an emergency trip to the hospital on his way home got a guy in serious hot water.

If you go in the morning and do two dozen errands "on your way" back home, then you probably are not covered.

TechnoWeenie

FLETC states that it's both, depending on circumstances.

If it's mobile, then the mobile conveyance exception to the 4th applies.

If it's stationary, and not readily mobile (engine not running, or wheel chocks out, or awning deployed, etc etc), it's a 'home'.

I don't know how WA interprets it, but the feds interpret it as a home when not in motion.