• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another law abiding citizen arrested for breach and interference...

WalkingWolf

I couldn't put a number on it, and I can only speak on my city and my experiences...all I know is i've been to several "major" 911 calls (gunshots, MWAG, person shot, armed robbery in progress...) where we show up and there's no one in sight. The caller is anonymous...you walk around a bit and talk to a few people passing through, and no one saw or heard anything. Either someone is testing our response time, or they are distracting us to commit another crime elsewhere. Of course I can only speculate....

And I know of two other specific incidents where the caller had a minor problem, but called in a major incident to get a quicker police response.

OK but were other major crimes reported some place else while this was happening? Sounds like prank calls to me.

Fallschirjmäger

Skinnedknuckles

Does anyone know what charges were actually filed, if they have been amended, and when his hearing is scheduled? The "news" has been quiet for several days, it seems, ever since we were told by the mayor that regardless what is legal, we should do what HE thinks is right.

brk913

Court on Wednesday, Judicial will have this updated by Thursday morning, we'll know if the prosecutor will pursue the case then...

luckyykid

OK but were other major crimes reported some place else while this was happening? Sounds like prank calls to me.

I'm sure some are pranks, but yes major incidents have occured while responding to these other calls.

Sometimes, they literally just wait for officers to leave the area. Just the other day an officer was sitting at a hot corner for about an hour. He got dispatched elsewhere, and within 5 minutes of him leaving, they had gunshots come in right where he was 5 minutes earlier.

H8Rain

I'm all for standing strong for our rights, but how about a little common sense (from both sides). Considering what just happened in CO I wouldn't be surprised if I were approached by the police in this situation and I would be more than happy to let everyone know (including the police) that I am a legal and responsible gun carrying owner. The last thing I would do is be difficult, again, considering what just happened in CO. With that said, I would then expect the police to realize everything is on the up-and-up and let me continue with my evening.

Everything I'm reading seems to imply that this guy was not cooperating. I even read that he may have been laughing at the police! What do you expect is going to happen.

Now with that said, let's just say this CO thing never happened. Then it's a different story. Of course this whole thing could be a waste of my breath if it actually comes out that he did in fact cooperate with the police, which is what his attorney is saying.

It's just my opinion, but a little common sense can go a long way. Know when to fight and know when to bit your tongue and cooperate a little. Choose you battles carefully.

Rich B

I'm all for standing strong for our rights, but how about a little common sense (from both sides). Considering what just happened in CO I wouldn't be surprised if I were approached by the police in this situation and I would be more than happy to let everyone know (including the police) that I am a legal and responsible gun carrying owner. The last thing I would do is be difficult, again, considering what just happened in CO. With that said, I would then expect the police to realize everything is on the up-and-up and let me continue with my evening.

Everything I'm reading seems to imply that this guy was not cooperating. I even read that he may have been laughing at the police! What do you expect is going to happen.

Now with that said, let's just say this CO thing never happened. Then it's a different story. Of course this whole thing could be a waste of my breath if it actually comes out that he did in fact cooperate with the police, which is what his attorney is saying.

It's just my opinion, but a little common sense can go a long way. Know when to fight and know when to bit your tongue and cooperate a little. Choose you battles carefully.

A little common sense?

Ok, lets try that:

Common sense:
1) It is common sense to carry a firearm into a theater. Crime happens in theaters. People shouldn't need Aurora to prove that, but whatever they need I suppose.
2) Considering this man went through the trouble to conceal his firearm (perhaps not to your liking, but who cares?) when he had no legal requirement to do so, I would say he was using common sense in worrying about people who want to send men with guns after other people who do things they don't agree with.
3) Not having any idea what is going on and not responding with haste when you are sitting in a theater and a bunch of men with flashlights and guns are suddenly in your face? That is common sense and it is to be expected. I am concerned that any officer or firearm carrying citizen would expect anything different.

Not common sense.
1) Sending 20 officers with guns drawn into a theater because there might be a man with a holstered firearm is the definition of 'no common sense'. If NHPD wanted to 'protect' the people inside, they could have sent an officer into either screen that they suspected the man to be in to sit/stand there and watch a movie ensuring there was a well intentioned person with a gun in the room.
2) Evacuating a theater and detaining, searching and seizing the occupants when there is no allegation of a crime? That is not common sense.

Aurora does not make firearm carry something anyone has a duty to hide. If anything, now is the time to hide your firearms less. Be proud that you have made the commitment and investment to protect yourself and your loved ones.

As for your assertions that this was some kind of OC stunt and that he was 'not cooperating', I have yet to see any evidence of this, but I have seen plenty of evidence including Mr. Hwang's statement as well as the police statements to the press.

Common sense would suggest that trying to invent something to be upset about when a fellow armed citizen is arrested for breaking no laws is silly.

DDoutel

I agree with Rich.

In case you guys haven't seen this... Mr. Hwang's Press Conference. Interesting to note at the very end of the video is Mayor DiStefano's comment that "sometimes, just because something is legal doesn't make it right." It is the Police's job to enforce the LAW, which is meant to be cut and dried, NOT RIGHT AND WRONG, which is, until codified into law, subjective in nature.

DocWalker

I also agree with Rich, we shouldn't stop doing something we are legally and might I say morally able to do to protect our families. If someone shoots up a bank should the US Constitution be suspended in all banks. We need to stop bending to the PC crowd and keep protecting our families and rights as Americans.

brk913

Just imagine if any of us were sitting in that theater as well, what do you think the NHPD would have done during their illegal frisking of anyone they could get their hands on (pun intended) and found one of our guns even though we were not the ones whos gun sighting prompted the call? Would we have been arrested too? I can't wait to see the update on the Judicial website in the morning...

Rich B

Just imagine if any of us were sitting in that theater as well, what do you think the NHPD would have done during their illegal frisking of anyone they could get their hands on (pun intended) and found one of our guns even though we were not the ones whos gun sighting prompted the call? Would we have been arrested too? I can't wait to see the update on the Judicial website in the morning...

I can tell you I would not have cooperated...

brk913

I wish I could say I would do the same, not sure what I would have done facing that situation, but if I complied and allowed myself to be frisked would they have charged me with BOP too since the complaining witnesses seem to have vanished by the time the NHPD got there, guessing anyone carrying would have been arrested if the Chief had his way....