• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Sticking to his guns" the 4th and final county press article

lapeer20m

edited with full text. "Sticking to his guns" county press article

http://mcp.mihomepaper.com/news/2012-08-08/Front_Page/Sticking_to_his_guns.html

http://mcp.mihomepaper.com/news/2012..._his_guns.html

Sticking to his guns
Persons carrying guns may now bring weapons into sheriff lobby.
By Krystal johns
Lapeer—Jason Harrison is a good example of someone who stands up for what he believes is right, even when government officials have a differing opinion, and in this case his diligence paid off. Harrison, a North Branch Township resident, has been speaking to the Lapeer County Commission, Sheriff’s Department, and Prosecutor Byron Konschuh since June about his concerns that the sign on the front door of the Sheriff’s Department prohibiting people from bringing firearms into the lobby was illegal.
Since he first brought the issue before the commissioners, it has been a back-and-forth debate over different laws and the interpretation of those laws, but on Monday Sheriff Ron Kalanquin told The County Press that he had, in fact, moved the sign from the outside door to the locked inner door instead, so firearms can be carried into the lobby of the Sherriff’s Department, just not beyond.
“It appears the statute that we were relying on before was a bit muddy,” Kalanquin said.
Upon hearing the news, Harrison was excited. “I would like to thank the sheriff, the prosecutor, and the county commissioners for making this happen,” he said. “Removing the signs from the door of the lobby is a victory for all law-abiding citizens who carry firearms for personal protection. The latest reports from Michigan State Police indicate that there are more than 335,000 valid concealed pistol license holders in the state.”
Michigan Compiled Laws 801.262, which was cited as the reason for prohibiting firearms inside the Sheriff’s Department—which is shared by the Lapeer County Jail—stated that a weapon can’t be brought onto the jail grounds or into the building “for the use or benefit of a prisoner.” “It’s difficult to interpret people’s actions,” said Kalanquin, referring to determining why a person has brought a gun into the building.
Kalanquin is asking people to consider refraining from bringing their firearms into the building at all, even if it is allowed by law. He once again brought up the January 2011 incident during which Lamar D. Moore walked into the Detroit Police Department’s Northwestern District station and opened fire, shooting four police officers.
We respect (Harrison’s) rights, but let’s respect those who have a very difficult job, too,” Kalanquin said.
Harrison said he is happy with the outcome.
“It was never about just me. The issue has always been about preserving the rights of all law- abiding citizens,” He said. “I don’t think that the sheriff or anyone else was purposely trying to restrict citizens’ rights. I am sure the sign was posted with good intentions and the fact that they lacked the authority to do so was simply an oversight. I appreciate that the sheriff and others took time to research the law and eventually come to the conclusion that the sign should come down.”

Last edited:

scot623

"Kalanquin is asking people to consider refraining from bringing their firearms into the building at all, even if it is allowed by law. He once again brought up the January 2011 incident during which Lamar D. Moore walked into the Detroit Police Department’s Northwestern District station and opened fire, shooting four police officers.
We respect (Harrison’s) rights, but let’s respect those who have a very difficult job, too,” Kalanquin said.
Harrison said he is happy with the outcome."

Pffftt...whatever.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
"Kalanquin is asking people to consider refraining from bringing their firearms into the building at all, even if it is allowed by law. He once again brought up the January 2011 incident during which Lamar D. Moore walked into the Detroit Police Department’s Northwestern District station and opened fire, shooting four police officers.
Harrison said he is happy with the outcome."

Pffftt...whatever.

<sarcasm>
I bet that sign has stopped at least a half dozen people who wanted to go on a rampage. </sarcasm>

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

<sarcasm>
I bet that sign has stopped at least a half dozen people who wanted to go on a rampage. </sarcasm>
The mention of the Detroit fiasco is not followed,as always,by the facts of situational awareness failures and a long list of other failures,but used to steer(control)Citizens away from their Rights! Living in a "mythical" free crime zone(public property) is foolish and Lazy(situational awareness-always ON) even in a LEO lobby!