• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uncommon Legal Question

1848_Dragoon

Hi guys,
Im new to this forum (just made this account about an hour ago), and I have a kind of unusual question. If you're under 21, you can't legally purchase a handgun in Ohio, so I'm assuming you couldn't legally carry one either. But, what about a black powder pistol, such as a cap and ball revolver? You only have to be 18 in Ohio to purchase one, and you don't have to get a background check. I have purchased several from a local black powder shop, and the process isnt any harder than buying a pocket knife. So if I can legally purchase it and own it in Ohio, does this mean I can legally open carry it? I have searched EVERYWHERE for an answer to this question, and I have come up with nothing. Mostly because nobody has ever asked about it. Im assuming that I can legally carry it, but I just want to make sure before I get arrested, haha.

Im not saying Im going to carry a cap and ball revolver, this is really just out of curiosity. It would be better than being unarmed, and if you keep up with it (cleaning, and such...) its just as reliable as any other gun in my opinion. As I said, I own several cap and ball revolvers and the accuracy of ALL of them is astonishing (9 inch groupings at about 60yds). But I guess that's expected with an 8 inch barrel, haha.

Almost forgot to mention that under federal law, any gun that employs a purcussion cap, matchlock, or flintlock is not considered a firearm. Now, state laws vary concerning this, but I can't find anything in the ORC about muzzle loaders at all.

Any and all help will be appreciated, thanks guys!

ZeroC

Technically you should be good i think. others might know better.

ORC 2923.11

(L) “Dangerous ordnance” does not include any of the following:

(1) Any firearm, including a military weapon and the ammunition for that weapon, and regardless of its actual age, that employs a percussion cap or other obsolete ignition system, or that is designed and safe for use only with black powder;

Last edited: