• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new 9mm pistol.

voodooguns

Hello, I am looking for a new 9mm pistol. I really like 1911 models they feel good in my hand and I like the weight. The price does not matter to much for me I was hoping to spend under 650$. I want a rail so I can add a flashlight or a laser. Im not to picky about how much ammo but i would like around 10-12 rounds, I want the abillity to use a high cap mag. The more magazines the pistol comes with, the better, if it comes with a holster and magazine holser thats awesome! Bottom line I need a durable, reliable, good quality, 9mm pistol. Thanks!

si vis pacem para bellum
only the dead have seen the end of war
-plato

09jisaac

I would always recommend looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P. It is a professional grade firearm designed for military and police (m&P). It holds 17+1 but I do not know of any magazines with a high capacity. It is highly similar to the Glock but many thinks it has a better feel. Both are firearms of high quality and fine capacity. The Glock, though, you can easily find 33(?) round magazines for it.

If I am not mistaken, all M&Ps come standard with a rail.

Lastly, they fit your budget.

BFDMikeCT

My M&P VTac 9mm. Love it. I did not like the feel of the glock in my hands. This on the other hand felt great. The grips are shaped better for the hand. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344465191.908226.jpg

voodooguns

@09jisaac and @BFDMikeCT thank you I will look at the m&p models on Saturday when I go to the gun shop.

BFDMikeCT

Spoke to a LEO today in my home town. They just switched from sig to M&P and went from 9mm to .45 caliber. He loves the new M&P and says its really really accurate.

CCinMaine

I have a Ruger SR9c. I love it. Rail, accurate, and came with two mags. A 10 round a 17 round. Msrp around $500?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My thoughts exactly. AND get a trigger job. Otherwise get a Glock.

That's not to say that other guns such as FNP's and XDM's aren't just as capable, but for me, the preference would be the M&P.

I have three M&P's and I have modified the trigger in all of them. My 9mm Pro Series and my .40S&W(both 4.25") have the Apex USB (Ultimate Safety Block) which completely removes the gritty/sandy feeling in the pre-travel. And it makes the trigger smooth throughout its travel. The Pro Series has an improved sear so that with the USB is very sweet. My .45ACP (4") has the Apex DCAEK installed but I didn't use the trigger spring that comes with this kit. Instead I used the OEM factory spring to get a 5 pound pull. The break is almost 1911 like in its feel. Very crisp.

As for my Glocks, I have modified all but one of them with after-market trigger parts. The Glock responds quite nicely to mods and can deliver a very good trigger.

Last edited:

twpetry

Hello, I am looking for a new 9mm pistol. I really like 1911 models they feel good in my hand and I like the weight. The price does not matter to much for me I was hoping to spend under 650$. I want a rail so I can add a flashlight or a laser. Im not to picky about how much ammo but i would like around 10-12 rounds, I want the abillity to use a high cap mag. The more magazines the pistol comes with, the better, if it comes with a holster and magazine holser thats awesome! Bottom line I need a durable, reliable, good quality, 9mm pistol. Thanks!

si vis pacem para bellum
only the dead have seen the end of war
-plato

My emphasis added

You sir, need a Springfield XD or XDm: between the two take your pick of 4",4.5",5",5.25" barrel lengths and up to what? 19 rounds in the XDm? 1911-style grip safety and grip angle. 3 position rail, and all the XD/XDm goodies for free? Yup :D

Numenor

My emphasis added

You sir, need a Springfield XD or XDm: between the two take your pick of 4",4.5",5",5.25" barrel lengths and up to what? 19 rounds in the XDm? 1911-style grip safety and grip angle. 3 position rail, and all the XD/XDm goodies for free? Yup :D

This completely... though don't discount the sub-compacts either. The 3" XD's also have a rail mount on them. =)

WalkingWolf

A warning about flashlights on semi autos. It seems Glock had some problems with cracking frames on a model used by a police dept, a problem I believe they remedied. But now the Marines are having problems with the test MP45 pistols cracking before 12,000 rounds, they are also being shot with a flashlight. Might be a good ideas to practice without the flashlight, unless night shooting.

twpetry

This completely... though don't discount the sub-compacts either. The 3" XD's also have a rail mount on them. =)

I don't know, if i'm going down to a 3" barrel i'm probably going to want something thinner and lighter than an XD. IMHO there are better options in the sub-compact arena: glock 26/27 for example is 6 oz lighter, or i'd go for a single stack. Don't get me wrong I love XDs, but the 3" versions are kinda the odd man out, they just aren't competitive in that category.

Numenor

I don't know, if i'm going down to a 3" barrel i'm probably going to want something thinner and lighter than an XD. IMHO there are better options in the sub-compact arena: glock 26/27 for example is 6 oz lighter, or i'd go for a single stack. Don't get me wrong I love XDs, but the 3" versions are kinda the odd man out, they just aren't competitive in that category.

The Glock's may work for some, they don't for all. I personally can't stand their grip style/angle. Also that weight given for the XDs is with the mag included, the 20oz Glock weight is w/o the mag.

IMHO they are a better gun, but as has been said before, it is all subjective.