• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new 9mm pistol.

Haz.

My personal opinion, the Beretta 92 Steel 1, 9mm, cannot be beaten. If one can buy one in the states is another question. I was told by some people on another forum, they are not available in the USA any more? Is that correct?

Cheers, Haz.

Last edited:

Kotyaer

FNX-9, 17+1 capacity, positive grip, decocker/safety, and fairly light weight for a full-size.

Wolfstanus

I would go m&p it's ergos feel like a 1911 to me and the mag release is in about the same spot. It's easier to take down than a glock or 1911. I sold my m&p though.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I would go m&p it's ergos feel like a 1911 to me and the mag release is in about the same spot. It's easier to take down than a glock or 1911. I sold my m&p though.

Man any easier and the pistol will self strip & clean itself for you. :p

On topic - you have been giving many good suggestions. Please let us know what you get and what you like/dis-like about the pistol after you get some range time in with it.:D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Tactical SS

I own a Glock 17, I had an XDM, and I've shot the M&P. With that said I definitely am keeping my Glock, I want an M&P, and I sold my XDM to my dad so I can shoot it whenever. It's a perfect combo.

The 17 is a great all around firearm. Standard capacity of 17+1 with the option of 19+1 and 31 or 33 +1. All factory mags and extensions. It's a nail driver. I love it.

The XDM was a great gun. The grip was a little slick for my taste, but that could be solved by a multitude of sleeves or tapes. It was a really fun gun that I am glad is close by.

The M&P's are great. I think the grip is also a little slick, but I'm a fan of really grippy guns. Again, there are many cheap ways to solve that problem. It's a really accurate firearm. Our State Patrol traded in their USP's for M&P's a few years ago. There has one been one "incident", but I can't disclose any info on that. It was what we call an operator error. I know a few Troopers and they love them. One has even purchased the compact, more CC friendly variant.

All in all, if I was doing it again (I just did this a few weeks ago), it would come down to the Glock 17 and the M&P. I decided to go with the Glock 17, but I am taking a serious look at the M&P full size .45's.

px4guy

My emphasis added

You sir, need a Springfield XD or XDm: between the two take your pick of 4",4.5",5",5.25" barrel lengths and up to what? 19 rounds in the XDm? 1911-style grip safety and grip angle. 3 position rail, and all the XD/XDm goodies for free? Yup :D

The M&P range and carry kit is pretty decent too. Pistol, interchangeable backstraps, 3 - 17 rd mags, Blade Tech holster and mag carrier, and Uplula mag loader. I prefer the M&P gear to the XD gear, and although I wouldn't use either holster for EDC, it works well for range use. Also, the M&P kit can usually be found for quite a bit less than an XDm. That being said, I would never buy a firearm based solely on the extras that come with it. I tried both, and the M&P just fit my hand better. Also it ended up shooting like a dream right out of the box with no trigger work. I'd heard several complaints about the M&P trigger, but the APEX kits seemed pretty affordable and easy to install in the event that I got one with a bad trigger.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
OP wants a 1911ish gun but double stack 9mm?

CZ P01

You still have a steel (and aluminum) frame / slide, you still have the exposed hammer, and you get GREAT ergonomics.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I don't know if they make them any more, but you could always go for a Para-Ordnance P18-9. That has 1911 frame, with double stack mag, and 18+1 rounds of 9mm.

WalkingWolf

SARCO has both Israeli and FEG Hi-Powers for less than $300. Hi-Powers are only 13 round though, 14 with one in the pipe.

tomrkba

Looking for a new 9mm pistol.

Hello, I am looking for a new 9mm pistol. I really like 1911 models they feel good in my hand and I like the weight. The price does not matter to much for me I was hoping to spend under 650$. I want a rail so I can add a flashlight or a laser. Im not to picky about how much ammo but i would like around 10-12 rounds, I want the abillity to use a high cap mag. The more magazines the pistol comes with, the better, if it comes with a holster and magazine holser thats awesome! Bottom line I need a durable, reliable, good quality, 9mm pistol. Thanks!

Why not get a 1911 style pistol in 9x19mm? Save up a bit since they cost more than $650.

I recommend the Springfield Armory EMP in 9x19mm. It is a really good gun. It is very concealable and very accurate. Mine had no trouble with cheap Tula ammunition or quality cartridges from Speer. It comes with everything you need except ammo and more magazines. One guy on the 1911 Forum cuts the magazines flush for a very reasonable rate and does a beautiful job.

Read this thread on Todd Green's current test 1911 in 9x19mm. He's currently up to something like 16,000 rounds with eight stoppages.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/7310

Another great choice is the Browning Hi-Power Mk III. These guns do require some work. Add night sights, have the trigger tuned, bevel the magazine well, dehorn it (especially on the left side where the safety enters the notch--it's razor sharp) and refinish. These guns carry really well in an inside the waistband holster.

Last edited: