• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry

SPOProds

I tried doing a search and couldn't come up with anything. I know that Maine preemption law states that no municipality may make stricter firearm laws than the state. However, I read somewhere that by statute carrying on college campuses is illegal. I can not find the statute that relates to this. Can someone help me out please.

CCinMaine

I don't know about any statute but I've heard the same. Maybe check federal. That's why regular schools are no nos. If I had more time I'd look.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SPOProds

Federal law doesnt apply to colleges, only elementary and secondary schools. Locked my firearm in the trunk just to be on the safe side. I'm at KVCC, which has a campus wide tobacco ban! I know you may subject to academic sanctions but would like to know if by law its legal to carry.

SPOProds

Thanks boyscout! I read that statute but hadn't gotten around to looking up the definition yet.

MainelyGlock

Mine stays [double locked] in my trunk while I'm at my classes. The school I go to forbids it, but I am uncomfortable going anywhere without my Glock.

boyscout399

Mine stays [double locked] in my trunk while I'm at my classes. The school I go to forbids it, but I am uncomfortable going anywhere without my Glock.

I hope you park off campus. School property is off limits and I don't approve of breaking the law. Work to get the law changed.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I hope you park off campus. School property is off limits and I don't approve of breaking the law. Work to get the law changed.

You are correct. Luckily, I know someone who lives about a mile away from the school I go to and can park there. It's a pain, but it also saves me the $80 a semester parking fee!

SPOProds

Somes schools have a provision that you can leave your gun in your vehicle. Not sure if that contradicts state law.

I know at Kennebec Valley it's no firearms on premises at all. And their smoking policy bans smoking on school grounds period. If your caught smoking anywhere but INSIDE your car they give you a ticket.

boyscout399

Somes schools have a provision that you can leave your gun in your vehicle. Not sure if that contradicts state law.

I know at Kennebec Valley it's no firearms on premises at all. And their smoking policy bans smoking on school grounds period. If your caught smoking anywhere but INSIDE your car they give you a ticket.

B. The prohibition on the possession of a firearm does not apply to the following persons, if the possession is authorized by a written policy adopted by the school board:
(1) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm for use in a supervised educational program approved and authorized by the school board and for which the school board has adopted appropriate safeguards to ensure student safety; and

(2) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is stored inside a locked vehicle in a closed container, a zipped case or a locked firearms rack while the person is attending a hunter's breakfast or similar event that:
(a) Is held during an open firearm season established under Title 12, Part 13 for any species of wild bird or wild animal;

(b) Takes place outside of regular school hours; and

(c) Is authorized by the school board.

So the school cannot make it legal by having a policy that allows it unless you're attending a hunters breakfast outside of school hours during hunting season, or attending a hunters safety course...

Last edited:

boyscout399

A member of another forum I'm on has a different opinion.

I tried just copying the text in my post but can't on my phone. So here's the post link

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2704981

It's location in the Statute structure doesn't matter. What matters is the text of the statute. They could put a statute in that title dealing with "selling marijuana at gas stations" and it wouldn't mean only gas stations in elementary schools. The text of the statute says "an approved private school" or "a public school". The definitions for "approved private school" and "public school" found in that title include colleges. The person in the other forum is wrong. You probably wouldn't be able to convince him that he's wrong, but if he got caught, he would be found guilty.

SPOProds

Thanks boyscout i was very confused. Can you cite their definitions though... the public school definition i believe includes colleges which is why i cited out. But the approved private school redefinition appears to only include elementary and secondary. Thanks appreciate it. Mush trying to make heads or this of this.

boyscout399

Thanks boyscout i was very confused. Can you cite their definitions though... the public school definition i believe includes colleges which is why i cited out. But the approved private school redefinition appears to only include elementary and secondary. Thanks appreciate it. Mush trying to make heads or this of this.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Asec1.html:
2. Approved private school. "Approved private school" means a private school approved for attendance purposes under chapter 117.

So you must go to chapter 117:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Asec2901.html:
A private school may operate as an approved private school for meeting the requirement of compulsory school attendance under section 5001-A if it: [RR 2005, c. 2, §12 (COR).]1. Hygiene, health, safety. Meets the standards for hygiene, health and safety established by applicable law and rule; and
[ 1985, c. 797, §20 (AMD) .]

2. Is either:
A. Currently accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; or [1981, c. 693, §§5, 8 (NEW).]

B. Meets applicable requirements of this Title pertaining to private schools and the department's requirements for approval for attendance purposes adopted under section 2902.

As you can see, a school is an "approved private school" if it meets hygiene standards and is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges. I'm pretty sure all the colleges in Maine are accredited...

Here's the New England Association of Colleges and School's list of accredited Maine Schools:
http://cihe.neasc.org/about_our_institutions/roster_of_institutions/#Maine

I don't know of any colleges that aren't on that list. It looks pretty darn complete to me.

SPOProds

Yep. That's exactly what i did. I had the same conclusion upon reading it. Just wanted to make sure i followed it correctly. Thanks again

Eta: the part that throws me off is " compulsory" since colleges are not compulsory.

Last edited:

boyscout399

Yep. That's exactly what i did. I had the same conclusion upon reading it. Just wanted to make sure i followed it correctly. Thanks again

Eta: the part that throws me off is " compulsory" since colleges are not compulsory.

It's just saying that attending any accredited private school satisfies the compulsory requirement to attend school for all children aged 7-17. Compulsory has nothing to do with the definition of "approved private school" only that attending any "approved private school" meets the requirement of the other statute.

SPOProds

It's just saying that attending any accredited private school satisfies the compulsory requirement to attend school for all children aged 7-17. Compulsory has nothing to do with the definition of "approved private school" only that attending any "approved private school" meets the requirement of the other statute.

I think I've got it down now.