• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Ohio, new to OC

cabledawg

Hey there OC'ers. Just got stationed here at Wright Pat AFB in January, got a good group of gun advocates in my shop and the Mrs and I have decided we are going to exercise our 2A rights to carry. Working on CCW permit, but in the meantime, I'll be OCing my new best friend.

My first question to y'all is this: to present a "professional" image, what do you typically wear when OCing? I dont own slacks, but thought jeans and polo would suffice for winter time, but have no idea what to do in the summer time. I have khaki shorts, but nothing that would support a full frame all day. Maybe just tighten up the belt a little more?

Second question: I couldnt find a clear answer on the laws regarding out of state residents OCing here in Ohio. I maintain a Washington residency (many benefits, not going into detail here) so I do not have an Ohio DL or ID. How am I going to be affected by this?

Thanks in advance!

ZeroC

You do not need to have ID on you to OC in Ohio in public where permitted to carry a firearm. But the rules of carrying in a motor vehicle are a pain in the butt. While traveling in a motor vehicle you must unload all ammo from all firearm parts, no loaded mags or speed loaders are allowed to be in a vehicle where the firearm they go to is present regardless of where in the car any of the parts are.

cabledawg

Thanks ZeroC on the ID issue. Already read up on the transport hence why we are working on the CCW permit. But in civvies, I'd like to OC as much as possible. Even modified a SERPA holster to fit my Taurus 92 with the railed frame.

Makarov

Hey I work at WPAFB as a civilian. Im trying to organize an open carry meet and greet. If interested u can contact me by email or go to the thread that's says "New O/Cer" to read more.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

Hey there OC'ers. Just got stationed here at Wright Pat AFB in January, got a good group of gun advocates in my shop and the Mrs and I have decided we are going to exercise our 2A rights to carry. Working on CCW permit, but in the meantime, I'll be OCing my new best friend.

My first question to y'all is this: to present a "professional" image, what do you typically wear when OCing? I dont own slacks, but thought jeans and polo would suffice for winter time, but have no idea what to do in the summer time. I have khaki shorts, but nothing that would support a full frame all day. Maybe just tighten up the belt a little more?

Second question: I couldnt find a clear answer on the laws regarding out of state residents OCing here in Ohio. I maintain a Washington residency (many benefits, not going into detail here) so I do not have an Ohio DL or ID. How am I going to be affected by this?

Thanks in advance!

I generally just wear whatever I would normally wear. Which while out and about is generally just jeans and a shirt, whether it be a somewhat nice t-shirt or a collared shirt. I'm in the USAF as well, reservist out of Youngstown, and assuming you keep your hair as neat and short as mine, you should look pretty "professional" wearing just about anything normal. The few people who have talked to me while OCing have always thought I was some from of law enforcement.

cabledawg

Thanks for the reply, Hare. I've OC'ed a few times since the original post, but just around the neighborhood and up to the gun range. Until I get my CCW, I probably wont OC anywhere else because of the hassle to unload in the vehicle. Wouldnt be bad if I could just drop the mag and lock the case, but to unload and reload a mag every time I get drive or get out somwhere is nuts. That and it just doesnt look right to be at the back of the vehicle loading two mags before you go into a store. It's not wrong or illegal, but doesnt look right to most folks.

As for the shorts thing, I found a better belt that supports the weight of my PT92, just have to re-adjust every so often. The neighbors were curious at first, but dont even bat an eye now when they see me out and about. And I'm really impressed with how fast my kids picked up gun safety. I'm using snap caps to train with and they've done well in clearing procedures. :banana: