• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westminister City Parks

GTShooter

Good day all,

yesterday a friend and I hit the Westminister City Park to do some fishing, we caught two stripped bass and 1 catfish BTW....... Anyhow, I was not sure what the law was regarding OC in City Parks so I did not OC. Can someone shed some light in the matter. Ive heard OC in a City Park is not allwed but State Parks are OK, how does that work?

LoneEchoWolf

Good day all,

yesterday a friend and I hit the Westminister City Park to do some fishing, we caught two stripped bass and 1 catfish BTW....... Anyhow, I was not sure what the law was regarding OC in City Parks so I did not OC. Can someone shed some light in the matter. Ive heard OC in a City Park is not allwed but State Parks are OK, how does that work?

Are you talking a public park, just a bit confused by what you mean by City Park. If your talking a Park within the city that is public and under the jurisdiction of the City Government then they can prohibit carry in there park but there must be clearly visible signs on all entrances and exits saying it is prohibited, under Colorado Preemption. otherwise it is completely legal. As long as its not Denver then its prohibited without signs. If thats not what you meant let me know what you mean by City park and ill try to help you out.

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Last edited:

PikesPeakMtnMan

C.R.S. 29-11.7-104 lets cities and towns ban OC on city property IF signs are posted at all entrances. It looks like Westminster at least has a law prohibiting OC (City code 6-2-10) but unless they also have signs posted then it's not enforceable.

OC is definitely allowed in state parks because OC is our state's only constitutionally protected method of carry.

EDIT: Slightly OT but this just occurred to me: the CRS states that " If a local government enacts an ordinance...or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a...specific area, the local government shall post signs..." so I'm curious if Westminster DOESN'T have signs posted then are they in violation of the law because they have a city ordinance in place...?

Last edited:

GTShooter

Well the name of the Park is Westminister City Park located at 10455 Sheridan Blvd Westminster, CO 80020-4135 yes it is a public park. So it would seem your input is correct. I will keep and eye out for signs at the entrance of parks from now on.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Deserteagle8338

Well the name of the Park is Westminister City Park located at 10455 Sheridan Blvd Westminster, CO 80020-4135 yes it is a public park. So it would seem your input is correct. I will keep and eye out for signs at the entrance of parks from now on.

Thank you!

You can open carry there and there are not any signs banning open carry although the rec center there does have a sign on the door saying no guns, aka no open carry inside the building