Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 138

Thread: Henderson handgun registration.

  1. #1
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Henderson handgun registration.

    I am getting ready to send the following to the Henderson City Attorney’s office. There are several ordinances on the books that need to be removed but I think the best shot is to take them on one at a time. I have done some research and it looks like this program is costing the city approximately 150K a year and not a single case can be pointed to that was solved by the use of this ordinance (In 58 years). If this can be removed then Henderson, like Boulder City, would be a registration free zone within Clark County.

    Hopefully this one will not take a year to straighten out.

    Comments?
    TBG

    Mr. Zentz
    I have some questions regarding the City Ordinance below.

    Henderson Municipal code 8.98.030:

    It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police.
    (Ord. 67, 3, 1954)


    1. As this is still being enforced as shown by recent arrest records *, when did the City of Henderson stop registering concealable firearms in favor of Clark County registration?

    2. As the ordinance clearly states the registration must be with the Chief of Police, and I am told by acting Captain Dane Mattoon that the Henderson Police keep no record of the “Blue Card” registration that they conduct on behalf of the county, that all registrations are forwarded to Metro, under what authority has the Chief abrogated his duty under this ordinance to the county?

    3. As there is no means for registering with the Chief of Police as is called out in 8.98.030, how can this ordinance be enforced?


    4. Under what authority as an incorporated city can the Henderson Police carry out Clark County registration? You may note that Boulder City has no requirement to register firearms and is therefore exempt under state law. Does Henderson have a code that allows their officers to enforce county ordinances as it does state law? If so, please provide the city code.


    5. State preemption provides under SB-92 that a resident of this county who falls under registration will have 72 hours to comply. Those moving here have 60 days. The city was obligated under this provision to amend its ordinances. In addition to the above, how can 8.98.030 be valid as it has no provision for the grace period?

    6. Please provide any written agreements between the City and METRO regarding implementation and enforcement of the county ordinance 12.04.110.

    12.04.110 - Registration of pistols within seventy-two hours. Any resident of the county receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within seventy-two hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff's office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication.

    Thank you very much for your anticipated cooperation in answering these questions.

    Regards



    * Phinney, Darrell Blake, was arrested in Henderson on 05/21/12 for among other things 8.98.030 the Henderson code for unregistered concealable firearms.

    * Watkins Iii, Robert Allen, was arrested in Henderson on 04/06/12 for among other things 8098.030 the Henderson code unregistered concealable firearms.
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 08-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I love it. I only noted a few punctuation errors, but they did not detract from the effective point of the letter. It would be very cool to turn on a few lights in the minds of Henderson officials. We already know the county won't listen to reason, but when they are the only ones left, I think it will a lot easier for the State to step in.

    Anyone know what happens in Mesquite? They have their own police, so I am assuming they are an incorporated city with their own laws.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I love it. I only noted a few punctuation errors, but they did not detract from the effective point of the letter. It would be very cool to turn on a few lights in the minds of Henderson officials. We already know the county won't listen to reason, but when they are the only ones left, I think it will a lot easier for the State to step in.

    Anyone know what happens in Mesquite? They have their own police, so I am assuming they are an incorporated city with their own laws.

    Geeez, you're a bigger grammer nazi than my wife, who by the way already caught my agregious errors and fixed them.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    ... my agregious errors ...
    You mean egregious?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  5. #5
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You mean egregious?
    Nope, agregious, I'm from the midwest. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go worsh my hands.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    So would it help if their City Attorney (or council) received letters from others as well? Would it have less impact if it came from someone not a Henderson resident?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    So would it help if their City Attorney (or council) received letters from others as well? Would it have less impact if it came from someone not a Henderson resident?
    Right now I don't want to do anything else. Not until I get an answer. I'm guessing that they will tell me to hang on while they go through all the city codes. Our new C.A. has ordered his department to audit all city codes and ordinances and get rid of or rewrite those that are outdated.

    If this is the case, I will then go into the monetary end of it to stress the importance of getting rid of a costly, failing ordinance. If you heard the news this morning you know that the union representing the Henderson beat cops agreed to a 2 year wage freeze. This could not have happened at a better time for our cause. When they find out that they can't keep up with inflation and feed and clothe their children, but the city can run an overly burdensome program with no benefits, they should be angry about it.

    I will then appeal to the Mayor and City Council as I did on the last issue and try to get it heard before a Council meeting. At that time I will need everyone who can to write and or ask to speak to their council members. I really think that in this time of economic chaos that they will have to listen about this awful waste of police resources.

    If we can get Henderson to listen to reason then it gives us some mighty big ammunition to use against the County, Las Vegas and N. Las Vegas. If there is anyone who lives in N.L.V. who can do a little background on ordinances and go after them on this issue I think they might be ripe as they are flat, busted, broke. I'm guessing it is costing them near as much as Henderson. A little media attention and they might just sit up and take notice.

    Thanks for the offer Mac.


    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  8. #8
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I love it. I only noted a few punctuation errors, but they did not detract from the effective point of the letter. It would be very cool to turn on a few lights in the minds of Henderson officials. We already know the county won't listen to reason, but when they are the only ones left, I think it will a lot easier for the State to step in.

    Anyone know what happens in Mesquite? They have their own police, so I am assuming they are an incorporated city with their own laws.

    As to not get off topic here I have started a new thread about this.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    answer from City Attorney

    I forgot to post this but I did get a response from Bob Zentz, Assistant City Attorney. As I guessed he said they are working on going through all the city codes and that when the CA's office
    issues its recommendations it will be debated in a City Council meeting and I was welcome to attend. Well, thank you sir.

    I have now written the Mayor and City Council Members with a CC to the City Manager, Chief of Police and City Attorney. It worked with the parks and city buildings, who knows, twice in a row?

    I talked about the cost and illegality of the city registration ordinance and suggested that they may not want to see this land in court.

    I'll post the letter later.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Letter

    Here is a copy of what I sent.

    TBG



    Mayor Andy Hafen
    Council Members Gerri Schroder, Debra March, John Marz, Sam Bateman
    Henderson City Hall
    POB 95050
    Henderson NV 89009-5050

    Dear Mayor and Council Members,

    I have been in contact with the City Attorney’s office concerning outdated firearms ordinances
    still on the books and in some cases still being enforced. Assistant City Attorney Robert Zentz
    has let me know that our new City Attorney Josh Reid has instructed his office to examine all
    city ordinances and review them as to any modifications or deletions needed. Unfortunately
    there are ordinances still on the books that are in direct violation of state law and are still
    being enforced.

    As you know in 1989 and then again in 2007, the Nevada State Legislature took full pre-emption
    of firearms laws within the state. The only exceptions they allowed were discharge of firearms
    and handgun registration within Clark County.

    Under SB-92, passed in 2007, all local ordinances not in compliance with state law were given a
    set time to be modified or removed. The City of Henderson did not modify the handgun registration
    ordinance, HMC 8.98.030, so therefore it is null and void.

    Henderson Municipal code 8.98.030 reads:
    It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other
    firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police.

    In order for this ordinance to be valid, state mandated language as directed by SB-92, would need
    to have been added, stating that a resident has 72 hours upon Purchasing or bringing a handgun into
    the jurisdiction to get it registered. It further would have needed to contain language stating that
    anyone moving into or remaining in the jurisdiction for more than 60 days would have to register their
    handguns. As you can see it contains neither. The registration would have to be with the Henderson
    Chief of Police, not the Sheriff, and he would therefore have to be the holder of those records.

    At some point a decision was made to have the Henderson Police Department register firearms under
    County Ordinance 12.04.110 commonly referred to as the “Blue Card registration”. I have asked the
    City Attorney’s office how the Chief of Police of the City of Henderson would have had the authority
    to abrogate that responsibility under HMC 8.98.030 to the county? As an incorporated city, Henderson
    is not required to conduct registration for the county nor is it subject to county ordinances within
    the incorporated city. A.C.A. Zentz did not directly answer this question.

    As Boulder City and Mesquite were incorporated cities at the time of pre-emption and did not have a registration ordinance in force
    at the time, the citizens of those cities have never been required to register their firearms. As the Henderson code is no longer valid,
    and has not been for some time, its citizens are not required to register either.

    The cost to the County to administer the Blue Card program is in the neighborhood of two million dollars
    a year, and it has registered in excess of 1.1 million handguns since 1973. The Sheriff has been unable
    to point to one single crime solved because of it in the past sixty plus years. He has been asked this
    by citizen groups as well as past Commission Chair Rory Reid and Commission MemberTom Collins.
    In light of this I have researched the cost of this program to the City of Henderson and have been in
    contact with Acting Captain Dane Matoon of the Henderson Police Department. With the information obtained
    in that search I have estimated that the cost to the City of Henderson is in the area of $150,000.00 per
    year. As with the Sheriff, the Henderson Police Department is unable to show any cost/benefit to the
    people of Henderson. Why would it? Only honest citizens follow the law. Criminals don’t
    register.

    In these hard economic times it just does not make sense to continue a program that is sixty plus years
    old, and at a tremendous cost, has shown absolutely no proof that it has been a benefit to the citizens
    of the City of Henderson. This on top of the fact that it is unenforceable under Nevada Statutes.
    I strongly urge the City Council to move quickly on stopping this unenforceable waste before it ends up
    in litigation. The citizens of this city deserve to have their limited resources used more wisely. As the
    patrol officers of this city have had to give up cost of living raises in the next two years, it is
    ridiculous to spend this kind of money on an illegal and useless program. I for one would rather have
    another cop on the street.

    Respectfully



    Cc: Josh M. Reid C.A; Jacob Snow C.M; Patrick E. Moers C of P
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 10-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    That was beautiful.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by mac702 View Post
    that was beautiful.
    this.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487

    Re: Henderson handgun registration.

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That was beautiful.
    This. I like how you covered all of the angles they would try to use. Nice.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Carry On

  14. #14
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    They acknowledge they have the letters.

    Just got an email.

    TBG

    Dear ,

    Thank you for taking the time to write to the Office of the Mayor & City Council regarding your concerns over our firearm ordinance. We will make sure to deliver your letters to the Mayor and Council, and to our staff for their review and response. We hope that you will continue to work with us to ensure that our city is the best it can be for us all.

    Sincerely,
    Kimberly Gordon
    Office of the Mayor & Council

    #efm 12-137032
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    update as of today 12-12-12

    No response so I emailed the gal that responded to me that the letters had been received and asked her for an update. No response.

    Emailed the Mayor on 12/10/12 demanding an answer to the points of my letter.

    12/12/12 got a snail mail response from a new player at the City Attorney's office. Pretty much the same as the last letter I got with a bit more inane nonsense thrown in for good measure. I might add that not only did he not respond to most of the points of my letter, on the ones he did he left himself open to a good left hook which I will throw. He also needs a remedial letter writing class. I guess communication skills are not required to be a City Attorney.

    The battle continues.

    TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 12-13-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    Here is a copy of what I sent.

    TBG



    Mayor Andy Hafen
    Council Members Gerri Schroder, Debra March, John Marz, Sam Bateman
    Henderson City Hall
    POB 95050
    Henderson NV 89009-5050

    Dear Mayor and Council Members,

    I have been in contact with the City Attorney’s office concerning outdated firearms ordinances
    still on the books and in some cases still being enforced. Assistant City Attorney Robert Zentz
    has let me know that our new City Attorney Josh Reid has instructed his office to examine all
    city ordinances and review them as to any modifications or deletions needed. Unfortunately
    there are ordinances still on the books that are in direct violation of state law and are still
    being enforced.

    As you know in 1989 and then again in 2007, the Nevada State Legislature took full pre-emption
    of firearms laws within the state. The only exceptions they allowed were discharge of firearms
    and handgun registration within Clark County.

    Under SB-92, passed in 2007, all local ordinances not in compliance with state law were given a
    set time to be modified or removed. The City of Henderson did not modify the handgun registration
    ordinance, HMC 8.98.030, so therefore it is null and void.

    Henderson Municipal code 8.98.030 reads:
    It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other
    firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police.

    In order for this ordinance to be valid, state mandated language as directed by SB-92, would need
    to have been added, stating that a resident has 72 hours upon Purchasing or bringing a handgun into
    the jurisdiction to get it registered. It further would have needed to contain language stating that
    anyone moving into or remaining in the jurisdiction for more than 60 days would have to register their
    handguns. As you can see it contains neither. The registration would have to be with the Henderson
    Chief of Police, not the Sheriff, and he would therefore have to be the holder of those records.

    At some point a decision was made to have the Henderson Police Department register firearms under
    County Ordinance 12.04.110 commonly referred to as the “Blue Card registration”. I have asked the
    City Attorney’s office how the Chief of Police of the City of Henderson would have had the authority
    to abrogate that responsibility under HMC 8.98.030 to the county? As an incorporated city, Henderson
    is not required to conduct registration for the county nor is it subject to county ordinances within
    the incorporated city. A.C.A. Zentz did not directly answer this question.

    As Boulder City and Mesquite were incorporated cities at the time of pre-emption and did not have a registration ordinance in force
    at the time, the citizens of those cities have never been required to register their firearms. As the Henderson code is no longer valid,
    and has not been for some time, its citizens are not required to register either.

    The cost to the County to administer the Blue Card program is in the neighborhood of two million dollars
    a year, and it has registered in excess of 1.1 million handguns since 1973. The Sheriff has been unable
    to point to one single crime solved because of it in the past sixty plus years. He has been asked this
    by citizen groups as well as past Commission Chair Rory Reid and Commission MemberTom Collins.
    In light of this I have researched the cost of this program to the City of Henderson and have been in
    contact with Acting Captain Dane Matoon of the Henderson Police Department. With the information obtained
    in that search I have estimated that the cost to the City of Henderson is in the area of $150,000.00 per
    year. As with the Sheriff, the Henderson Police Department is unable to show any cost/benefit to the
    people of Henderson. Why would it? Only honest citizens follow the law. Criminals don’t
    register.

    In these hard economic times it just does not make sense to continue a program that is sixty plus years
    old, and at a tremendous cost, has shown absolutely no proof that it has been a benefit to the citizens
    of the City of Henderson. This on top of the fact that it is unenforceable under Nevada Statutes.
    I strongly urge the City Council to move quickly on stopping this unenforceable waste before it ends up
    in litigation. The citizens of this city deserve to have their limited resources used more wisely. As the
    patrol officers of this city have had to give up cost of living raises in the next two years, it is
    ridiculous to spend this kind of money on an illegal and useless program. I for one would rather have
    another cop on the street.

    Respectfully



    Cc: Josh M. Reid C.A; Jacob Snow C.M; Patrick E. Moers C of P
    Very good letter! The only difference between you and I is that I would not rather have another cop on the street. But, that's another topic.
    Last edited by ed2276; 12-13-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Grammer: See Big Guy, I'm not the only one with grammar problems

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    No response so I emailed the gal that responded to me that the letters had been received and asked her for an update. No response.

    I guess communication skills are not required to be a City Attorney.



    TBG
    Au contraire, mon amie! It appears that the City Attorney in question does possess communication skills--chief among them, obfuscation--along with goal post shifting and the ability to side-step or ignore probative, well-reasoned questions.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    TBG,

    You might try utilizing NRS 239 to get them to come off of the info, and if the info is incriminating enough they may just give in to you one more time! While it may not read as sexy as the kick a$$ letter you sent, not responding to a NRS 239 request is a class C felony. Henderson City Attorney knows this first hand. he phoned me after I requested some public documents and told me i was out of luck, and if I did not like it to sue him, I wrote him back and cc'ed and the Josh Reid guy and threatened citizen arrest. I signed for my documents two days later... and they could not have been nicer. Oh yeah it was about 350 pages and they decided the copy fees were on them.
    So here is an example on how to request what you need in NRS 239 format:

    Pursuant to NRS Chapter 239 I hereby request the following:

    1. Any document in the City's possession containing the authority with which the city of Henderson has been registering concealable firearms since preemption in 2007.
    2. Any document file or other media containing the the number of firearms in the database, in the possession of the Henderson Chief of police.

    Etc. Etc. If you are interested in this method, let me know and we can put lots of stuff in 239 format. The extra work might just make them give it up. I have learned this about Govt. They cannot remain relevant if they go away, so they master the art of making us go away! DO NOT GO AWAY.

    Kudos to the BIG GUY

  19. #19
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    TBG,

    You might try utilizing NRS 239 to get them to come off of the info, and if the info is incriminating enough they may just give in to you one more time! While it may not read as sexy as the kick a$$ letter you sent, not responding to a NRS 239 request is a class C felony. Henderson City Attorney knows this first hand. he phoned me after I requested some public documents and told me i was out of luck, and if I did not like it to sue him, I wrote him back and cc'ed and the Josh Reid guy and threatened citizen arrest. I signed for my documents two days later... and they could not have been nicer. Oh yeah it was about 350 pages and they decided the copy fees were on them.
    So here is an example on how to request what you need in NRS 239 format:

    Pursuant to NRS Chapter 239 I hereby request the following:

    1. Any document in the City's possession containing the authority with which the city of Henderson has been registering concealable firearms since preemption in 2007.
    2. Any document file or other media containing the the number of firearms in the database, in the possession of the Henderson Chief of police.

    Etc. Etc. If you are interested in this method, let me know and we can put lots of stuff in 239 format. The extra work might just make them give it up. I have learned this about Govt. They cannot remain relevant if they go away, so they master the art of making us go away! DO NOT GO AWAY.

    Kudos to the BIG GUY

    Great idea. I will take a look into that. I have another idea or two also. In my opinion it is always best, after reason fails, to surround them and make them scream.

    Let us keep in mind that Josh Reid got his job because of lobbying by his dad. They were able to lower the standards/requirements for the job in order to make him eligible to assume the post of Henderson City Attorney. Unfortunately the Mayor and Council rely on him to give them legal advice.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  20. #20
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Letter from Henderson A.C.A. Michael J. Oh

    The following is a response to my letter to the Mayor and Council Members of Henderson. It was from Michael J. Oh, Assistant City Attorney.

    TBG


    Dear Mr. XXX

    The Office of the City Attorney is in receipt of your letter dated October 10, 2012, to the Mayor and City Council reference the City of Henderson firearm ordinance. The City Attorney's Office has been asked to respond to the letter.

    Regarding your concerns on the registration of firearms, the Henderson Police Department will accept registration of a firearm at the police station for individuals who are required to register a firearm pursuant to the Clark County Code. However, this registration is done as a courtesy for the citizens of Clark County. When a person comes into the Henderson Police Department to register a firearm, they are allowed to come into one of the police stations and submit the registration to the regularly scheduled desk officer. Once the information is obtained, a blue card provided by LVMPD is provided to the registrant and the information is forwarded directly to the LVMPD for further processing. It is my understanding there is no additional cost incurred by the Henderson Police Department as an officer is regularly scheduled at the desk of each police station. Additionally, providing this service for the citizen does not reduce the number of officers patrolling the streets.

    Finally, you have expressed concern regarding the Henderson Municipal Code relative to firearms. As previously stated by Mr. Zentz' email to you in September 6, 2012, the City Attorney's Office is still in the process of reviewing the Henderson Municipal to ensure the Code is up to date. As you can appreciate, this process will take some time in order to accurately update the code. Nevertheless, it is expected that there will be changes to Title 8. When the changes are complete, the amendments will be presented to the City Council at their regularly scheduled meetings where the public is encouraged to participate to make comments or voice concerns for the city Council to consider.

    We welcome your participation when the amendments are presented to the City Council. The meeting agendas may be located at:

    http://henderson.siretechnologies.co...etresults.aspx.

    Sincerely,

    Michael J. Oh
    Assistant City Attorney.
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 01-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  21. #21
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    My answer an request for information.

    The following is my response to the letter above, and request under NRS 239 (thanks Tread). Please excuse the formatting as I can't get it to cut and paste correctly on here, but I think you will get the message.

    TBG

    01/21/13

    Josh Reid, City Attorney
    Henderson City Hall
    POB 95050
    Henderson NV 89009-5050

    Dear Mr. Reid,

    I am in receipt of a letter from Assistant City Attorney Michael J. Oh dated December 10, 2012. There are several points I would like to make regarding
    this communication. Firstly, as is typical, it did not respond to many of the questions raised in my letter to the Mayor and Council members dated
    10/10/2012.
    The letter stated that there is a desk officer scheduled at the times during which handgun registration is taken so it adds no additional expense to the
    city. Are you saying the desk officer has nothing better to do, so he might as well spend this time taking un-required registration on behalf of Clark
    County? Perhaps that job needs to be eliminated thus saving the city much needed funds. In fact, it has been recommended to the city that it stop staffing
    this position with a sworn officer. This recommendation was made by the International City/County Management Association. This Association was hired by the
    City of Henderson at a cost of $80,000.00.

    Anyone in business should be able to tell you that there is a cost associated with every task assigned to an employee. This cost is referred to in terms
    of man-hours.

    This letter, as did a previous one from A.C.A. Zentz, seems to indicate that it is ok for the city to continue to enforce its illegal codes until such
    time as the City Attorney’s office gets around to reviewing all city codes and making a recommendation to the Mayor and Council. Perhaps the citizens
    of Henderson should put the city on notice that we have decided not to obey any city ordinances until such time as this review is completed. The city
    must obey state law as we the citizens must obey city ordinances.

    Pursuant to NRS Chapter 239 I hereby request the following:
    1. Any document in the City's possession containing the authority with which the city of Henderson has been registering concealable firearms on behalf
    of the County since preemption in 2007.
    2. When did the City of Henderson stop registering handguns in favor of County registration? Please provide a copy of any agreement or ordinance
    authorized by the council between the City of Henderson and Clark County.
    3. Any document file or other media containing the number of firearms in the database, in the possession of the Henderson Chief of police per HMC 8.98.030,
    which were registered before the city turned this responsibility over to the county?
    4. If there are no records, when were these records purged?
    5. How many arrests have been made under municipal code 8.98.030 since 2007?
    6. Of these arrests, how many resulted in convictions, including case numbers and dates with names of those arrested?
    7. How many of these charges have been dropped?
    8. How many of these arrests have resulted in acquittals?
    9. How many firearms have been seized by Henderson Police under 8.98.03 since NRS 268.418 came into effect in 2007 even if there were no charges filed?
    10. Per NRS 202.340, what are the dispositions of those firearms?

    I look forward to a timely reply.

    Sincerely,

    XXX X XXX

    CC: Andy Hafen, Mayor
    Jacob Snow, City Manager
    Council Members Gerri Schroder, Debra March, John Marz, Sam Bateman
    Don Turner, President, Nevada Firearms Coalition.
    Dan Reid, State Liaison, National Rifle Association.
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 01-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Since they have desk sergeants (and presumably others) with nothing better to do, it shouldn't take long for someone to get the answers.

    Nicely written.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  23. #23
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    488

    Henderson handgun registration.

    Very nice. The desk job certainly does not need to be filled by a sworn officer. It's a receptionist job with an officers pay. Something off about that IMO.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Well, I remember when Metro's desk was staffed by a sergeant. You could go in, and he actually knew what he was doing. He handled handgun registration and other business.

    Now, the ladies at the desk are clueless. I've yet to do a handgun registration since where I didn't have to correct them on what a gun was or what numbers to use.

    I think the desk should be staffed by a cop. I also think there should be no handgun registration so this guy can actually do cop stuff.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  25. #25
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Request received.

    I just received the following email:

    TBG


    Dear XXX XXX,

    Thank you for your request received on 01/29/2013 regarding Records Requests>Other. It has been assigned ID# efm 13-150008.

    You will receive a response to your request within 5 business days. If you should have any further questions please feel free to contact us again and refer to the identification number above.

    Below is a link to your case in Contact Henderson. You may access your case(s) at any time when logging into Contact Henderson. You may add additional information or view any correspondence on the case with the City of Henderson. If you need to retrieve your Username and Password, please click on the "Lost your password" link, from the Contact Henderson-City of Henderson Login page (link below), and the information will be sent to your registered email address.

    https://clients.comcate.com/myfeedba...w=554091&id=90

    Sincerely,
    City of Henderson
    http://www.cityofhenderson.com
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •