• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video from Maine, how would you handle this encounter?

davidmcbeth

Banned
just turn around and walk away ... if he stops you, then the cop has an issue .. no RAS here ... no lawful activity by the cop...

Fallschirjmäger

The main object of the officer talking to you is to keep you talking. Every answer leads to another question, every question directs more to criminal activity.
"Just give me your first name, so we can be friendly" leads to "Do you live around here?"
Do you live around here just leads to "what do you do for a living?"
What do you do for a living just leads to 'what's your boss' name?"

Officer Friendly is looking for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity
Officer Friendly is looking for probable cause to make an arrest
Officer Friendly is looking for a criminal
.... Officer Friendly is looking at you.

Answer ONLY the questions required of you for a Voluntary Encounter or Investigatory Detention according to the laws of your State.
Disengage, disengage, disengage.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Good on him for staying on point, asking "Do you suspect me of a crime?" again and again as the officer attempted to deflect and evade the question.

There's only ONE reason for someone to attempt to evade a simple question like that, boys and girls, it's because the answer isn't something the officer wants to admit.
Hammer the question, again and again and again.