• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit To Purchase

ScottE

I'm new here and to gun ownership. I'm taking a Basic Handgun class and Permit Course next month. I'd like to have a gun purchased and in my hands for the Permit Course. It appears that I need to apply for a Permit To Purchase. I have the form. I am purchasing from a web site that will be shipping it to a FFL dealer in MN. My question is, on the Permit To Purchase form, on the first page is a section called DEALER INFORMATION. Is that information supposed to from the dealer/web site I'm purchasing the gun, or the dealer where I'm picking up the gun?

I went to the dealer where I plan to pick up the gun, and they seemed rather unsure, and then eventually said this section is in regards to the dealer where I'm buying the gun from. But I have my doubts.

Anyone else have to go through this that would know. Seems really odd and it shouldn't be this difficult. The process doesn't seemed to be spelled out as clearly as it should be.

ScottE

Nevermind, I figured it out. After calling my local police department, and then going there to turn in the form, it turns out that section doesn't need to be filled out at all. Sure would have been nice if it would have stated that on the form. I was told I should have my approved Permit To Purchase in 7-10 business days.

tjkruck

Make sure you have had a feel for the firearm.you like. Being that you are new to firearms. Advise you not to purchase a firearm because it the one you want, purchase.the firearm because it feels comfortable in your hands, when you pull up to the sights they are aligned and that you like the trigger pull.. etc. IMO

ScottE

Permit To Purchase just arrived in the mail - approved! :banana:

Only took 4 business days to process and arrive in my mailbox.

Hill Bill E.

I agree with TJ. Try and get out to the range, and shoot a few different handguns.

What feels right and works for one person, isn't always right for another.

I have seen many people buy a handgun, and then either not like how it shoots, how it fits their hand(s), or that it is not easy to carry.

When that happens, the gun doesn't get used. It either gets sold/traded in at a loss, or sits in the gun safe.

A lot of permit to carry classes will have a variety of guns that you can try out, different makes and calibers.

Some shooting ranges offer this as well. It's best to find one that works for you, before buying one.

Good luck, and be safe!

HB

YounGunSR9c

reaearch

I'm guessing the website your using is budsgunshop.com or cheaper than dirt, decide which caliber and price range your looking @ on the website then narrow it down to 5-6 guns and go to gander, holdnd get a feel for all of them...
A lot of ranges have popular weapons for you to rent, chances are you will be able to fire the gun before you buy.

And if you plan on open carrying make sure you have the availability to buy a serpa or thumb lever release type of holster for it.

ncwabbit

get out and 'rent' guns and contact the instuctor of your upcoming class if they have firearms for you to use during the course...then go back and rent something you have narrowed down then buy something that fits your hand and will suit your shooting purpose(s) instead of a piece of junk that is a pain to carry and use...

wabbit

tjkruck

I'm guessing the website your using is budsgunshop.com or cheaper than dirt, decide which caliber and price range your looking @ on the website then narrow it down to 5-6 guns and go to gander, holdnd get a feel for all of them...
A lot of ranges have popular weapons for you to rent, chances are you will be able to fire the gun before you buy.

And if you plan on open carrying make sure you have the availability to buy a serpa or thumb lever release type of holster for it.

+1 on that, and +1,000,000 on the gander. Cabelas sucks

Carry on

ScottE

I ended up purchasing a Glock 23. I plan to conceal carry with a White Hat Max Tuck with combat cut iwb holster. Took my Carry Permit class last Sunday and submitted my Carry Permit application 2 days ago. After I get my permit I plan to take some tactical training classes so I'll be more prepared to react and stay alive should a real life incident occur.

robdoar

Funny nobody has noted that the permit to purchase has major issues...

What major issues?

They have to issue or deny in 7 days per MN statute .

It is possible for dealers to initiate the paperwork, which is when that section would be used. For example, you did not have your permit to purchase but you showed up at a gun shop to buy a handgun (or a scary looking black rifle). The gun shop with initiate the paperwork and hold on to your firearm until they got approval.

Gov. Dayton vetoed a bill that would have eliminated this redundant check (NICS is done at time of purchase anyway) .