• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mesquite

The Big Guy

It was asked on another thread what the laws were in Mesquite NV concerning registration.

No there is no ordinance concerning Registration. Therefore as I understand it, Mesquite being an incorporated city (May 1984), citizens of Mesquite do not have to register their handguns. That makes Boulder City and Mesquite registration free zones within Clark County.

Though the city ordinance concerning conceal carry points to and follows state law, it could be interpreted as banning open carry within the city limits. It is actually an illegal ordinance as it would come under preemption no matter how you look at it because it was codified in 2008.

I wonder if anyone lives up in Mesquite who could correct them on this?

TBG

5 -1-10: FIREARMS AND WEAPONS:
A. Concealed And Dangerous Weapons:

1. Carrying Concealed Weapons Restricted: It is unlawful for any person within the city to wear, carry or have concealed upon his person any dirk, dirk knife, pistol, sword in case, slingshot, brass knuckles or other dangerous weapon without proper authorization of the county and state as required by the current Nevada Revised Statutes.

2. Proof Of Permit: It is unlawful for any person to carry a concealed weapon without also carrying proper proof of current required permits upon his person.

3. Exceptions: The provisions of subsections A1 and A2 of this section do not apply to peace officers in the regular discharge of their duties, or to persons acting or engaged in the business of common carriers.

4. Penalty: Any person who violates any provision ofsubsections A1 and A2 of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as provided in section 1-4-1 of this code. (Ord. 398, 3-25-2008, eff. 4-17-2008)

B. Discharging Firearms:

1. Discharge Prohibited: Except as provided in subsection B2 of this section, any person discharging any gun or pistol within the city is guilty of a misdemeanor.

2. Exceptions: The provisions of subsection B1 of this section do not apply to:

a. Necessary self-defense or the defense of one's family or property.

b. A civil officer in the discharge of his duty.

c. A licensed shooting gallery or a lawful breastwork for target shooting. A lawful breastwork must be a wall sixteen inches (16") thick, six feet (6') high in the back, six feet (6') wide, with side wings one foot (1') thick, six feet (6') high in the back, six feet (6') flaringly to the front, and six feet (6') high of adobes, brick or other equivalent material.

d. Legal hunting of animals. (Ord. 11, 8-16-1984)

DooFster

Does this type of registration law also apply to my wife and I who live up on base? We are technically our own city and don't have registration laws except the "register them to the base" rule...

The Big Guy

Does this type of registration law also apply to my wife and I who live up on base? We are technically our own city and don't have registration laws except the "register them to the base" rule...

That's a real good question. What is your official state of residence? Can you check through channels on what the military’s view on this is? I'd be curious to know.

TBG