• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member, greetings

Alpine

Hi there. I've been reading these forums for a long time now and I finally decided to join up.

A little background on who I am. As my handle suggests, I am a big time alpine skier. My education is in political science and I worked in politics for a few years in Alaska and Washington but didn't stay in long as I got burnt out fast and my net result is that I don't trust either of the parties, they are both basically the same. I switched professions to my other hobby, computers, and now I work in the tech field here in the sound area. I am pretty decent with both hardware and software.

I've always been interested in firearms rights ever since I was a kid and I grew up listening to the stories my grandfather would tell about the old west and what California used to be like in the early 1900s. I am a big history buff and enjoy researching that kind of stuff. Politically I used to be very liberal and in some areas I still am, but I've become very libertarian and mostly I've come to wish the government would just leave people alone.

I grew up shooting Springfield single shot bolt-action rifles, but after high school I didn't really keep up with shooting through college and haven't really shot a gun much in the last decade, though I do have Big Game Hunter for the xbox. :lol:
I've always been fascinated by self reliance and I am one of those guys who likes to do everything himself. I've watched crime and human decency spiral down in the last 30 years here and I've seen gangs take over Pierce and King County. I've lived all over the US, in every single region and even Alaska and Hawai'i, but I came back to WA because I love this place the most.

I actually found this site over a year ago looking at youtube videos of people open carrying and some of the problems they faced with ignorant citizens and ignorant/nasty LEOs. Interestingly enough, I have an uncle in the King County Sheriff's office who actually knows Dave Workman, so I will try and get him onto this site too since he is also an open carry advocate. I've listened to Dave on Komo 1000 radio many times and I enjoy his firearms rights segments.

I really want to let you guys know how much I respect what you're doing. The resources and knowledge you have compiled is impressive and there is quite a supportive community here.

I plan on getting a couple different firearms for my family, as well as a CPL for my wife and myself, though I plan on open carrying whenever possible. I plan on getting a home defense weapon and I've thought about the Taurus Judge due to its versatility and the great Taurus warranty. I'm wondering what people think about that particular firearm? I also plan on getting my wife, who is normally terrified of guns, some training classes and a pistol for herself as well. I've seen the Cornered Cats website and I'll be showing it to her soon. Any recommendations on a pistol for her? A further note: I tend to be biased towards revolvers since I am a bit paranoid and semi-autos can jam, though I am not deeply knowledgeable about this aspect of firearms and would welcome any tips or advice you have to offer.

Anyway, I figure that's a long enough post, don't want to bore you right off the bat. I look forward to becoming an active member of this community.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

2nd Saturday of each month 9am.

Federal Way Crossinghttp://www.starbucks.com/store/7253/

1401 South 348th Street
M101
Federal Way, WA 980036882 US
253-927-0593

So, I'll see you there then?

Vitaeus

Take your wife to an indoor range that has a rental gun case. She can try out various weapons and hopefully find one that fits her comfort level.

My wife and I use Bullseye Range in Tacoma, but I am sure there are others nearer to you.

WOD

Welcome to OCDO! Great introduction, I hope you find a home here. Now, as far as semi-auto pistols go, they aren't as bad as you might think, or have been led to believe. Glocks are highly reliable, simple, and cost effective. They aren't as pretty as a Sig Sauer or a S & W, or Colt etc., but they do what is expected of them when you need them to. I also agree with Vitaeus, take your family out to a local range that rents pistols and try out as many as you can afford to, before you buy one. It'll save you inconvenience later down the way. For the Mrs., the same applies, let her choose what works for her, you'd be surprised at what some women choose to carry! If she's relatively new to firearms, you might also consider a .22 plinker, just to burn rounds through it for practice, and the kids can shoot them easily too.

My buddy brought his daughter here a couple weekends ago, because she wanted to learn to shoot a pistol he bought for her (when she's old enough to carry by WA law). He let her shoot her gun first, and she didn't like it.. at first. Then we switched her to a .22 pistol and let her work with that for a bit. Then she shot her pistol again, and a .357 mag, a .45 long colt, and a .44 mag, then my AK, then back to a 10/22 rifle, and lastly she shot my .45 auto G 21. Later this month, she's coming back with two other women, because she had a good experience and encouragement, and coaching. My buddy and I may not be NRA certified instructors, but we have a vested interest in her well being and safety, so we're not going to teach her the wrong way. Unlike many of the YouTube videos where a guy hands a girlfriend a big huge gun, and laughs hysterically when she freaks out from it, or it hits her in the face and knocks her on her arse... not funny.... not cool.

This Saturday we are doing a Litter Crew on I-5 (see the Armed Litter Crew thread for details), maybe we'll see you there!

1911er

Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the forum you will find a lot of great information on here (and some you should take with a grain of salt) but all in all we are just like minded people trying to advance the knowledge of the average citizen.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Good introduction, nice to have you aboard.

I actually found this site over a year ago looking at youtube videos of people open carrying and some of the problems they faced with ignorant citizens and ignorant/nasty LEOs. Interestingly enough, I have an uncle in the King County Sheriff's office who actually knows Dave Workman, so I will try and get him onto this site too since he is also an open carry advocate. I've listened to Dave on Komo 1000 radio many times and I enjoy his firearms rights segments.

Dave Workman is already a member here, has been for quite some time... Or where you talking about your uncle in the KCSO?

Alpine

2nd Saturday of each month 9am.

Federal Way Crossinghttp://www.starbucks.com/store/7253/

1401 South 348th Street
M101
Federal Way, WA 980036882 US
253-927-0593

So, I'll see you there then?

I have some stuff to do up near Burien later in the morning but I'll try and stop by and meet some of you if I can get to sleep anytime soon.

Vitaeus

Take your wife to an indoor range that has a rental gun case. She can try out various weapons and hopefully find one that fits her comfort level.

My wife and I use Bullseye Range in Tacoma, but I am sure there are others nearer to you.

WOD

Welcome to OCDO! Great introduction, I hope you find a home here. Now, as far as semi-auto pistols go, they aren't as bad as you might think, or have been led to believe. Glocks are highly reliable, simple, and cost effective. They aren't as pretty as a Sig Sauer or a S & W, or Colt etc., but they do what is expected of them when you need them to. I also agree with Vitaeus, take your family out to a local range that rents pistols and try out as many as you can afford to, before you buy one. It'll save you inconvenience later down the way. For the Mrs., the same applies, let her choose what works for her, you'd be surprised at what some women choose to carry! If she's relatively new to firearms, you might also consider a .22 plinker, just to burn rounds through it for practice, and the kids can shoot them easily too.

My buddy brought his daughter here a couple weekends ago, because she wanted to learn to shoot a pistol he bought for her (when she's old enough to carry by WA law). He let her shoot her gun first, and she didn't like it.. at first. Then we switched her to a .22 pistol and let her work with that for a bit. Then she shot her pistol again, and a .357 mag, a .45 long colt, and a .44 mag, then my AK, then back to a 10/22 rifle, and lastly she shot my .45 auto G 21. Later this month, she's coming back with two other women, because she had a good experience and encouragement, and coaching. My buddy and I may not be NRA certified instructors, but we have a vested interest in her well being and safety, so we're not going to teach her the wrong way. Unlike many of the YouTube videos where a guy hands a girlfriend a big huge gun, and laughs hysterically when she freaks out from it, or it hits her in the face and knocks her on her arse... not funny.... not cool.

This Saturday we are doing a Litter Crew on I-5 (see the Armed Litter Crew thread for details), maybe we'll see you there!

Thanks for the suggestions, that's a good idea. I need to look for a place like that near Maple Valley. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the ltter pickup @ 11, but I might be able to swing by the gathering @9 for a little bit depending on if I get to sleep quick enough, ha.

Dave Workman is already a member here, has been for quite some time... Or where you talking about your uncle in the KCSO?
I'm trying to get my uncle to join, he actually knows Dave Workman from outside of here so hopefully that will be another incentive for him to join.

Thanks for the warm welcome 1911er.

golddigger14s

Welcome!
To see different type of guns in action WAGUNS is having a big shoot on the 18th. You can see everything from .22 to 50 ca. out there. Info:
http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=7455

If you can't make the Sat shoot (like me), I will be going out to the same spot on the 15th. This invite is for anybody, not just Alpine.

Thanks for the invite, I'll check my schedule.