Thread: Kicked out of jacksonville mall

Kicked out of jacksonville mall

I was kicked out of Jacksonville mall last week for OCing my Springfield 1911. My wife and I made it through 2 stores within the mall and when we was exiting the second store the security officer was waiting for me at the door. He informed me that I am not allowed to carry my firearm in the mall. I informed him that there was no signs posted in the entrances so it is legal to OC. He further explains that he is aware of that and they are currently getting some put in place, he also hands me a "Code of Conduct" card wich has "no weapons allowed" on it. I told him even though it was legal for me to OC in the establishment because they have failed to have it posted I would gladly leave and inform all my friends that are gun owners that the Jacksonville mall is against the 2nd Amendment and the right to protect yourself. I then emailed the mall manager and explained to him that I would no longer be a customer if I am not allowed to protect myself or my family in their establishment and will let all gun owners know how they feel about our rights, i also let him know that i would gladly return once they changed their policy.

Banned
    The mall manager will not care ... the stores you frequent will...contact the owners if you want to get this point across.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The mall manager will not care ... the stores you frequent will...contact the owners if you want to get this point across.
    Looking through the store directory for the mall, I would investigate the OC policy for the smaller retailers as well as Sears, JC Penny and Belk. If you can get one or more of those stores on your side, and some of the smaller ones you might have a chance...otherwise, their "code of conduct" will likely stand.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    I was kicked out of Jacksonville mall last week for OCing my Springfield 1911. My wife and I made it through 2 stores within the mall and when we was exiting the second store the security officer was waiting for me at the door. He informed me that I am not allowed to carry my firearm in the mall. I informed him that there was no signs posted in the entrances so it is legal to OC. He further explains that he is aware of that and they are currently getting some put in place, he also hands me a "Code of Conduct" card wich has "no weapons allowed" on it. I told him even though it was legal for me to OC in the establishment because they have failed to have it posted I would gladly leave and inform all my friends that are gun owners that the Jacksonville mall is against the 2nd Amendment and the right to protect yourself. I then emailed the mall manager and explained to him that I would no longer be a customer if I am not allowed to protect myself or my family in their establishment and will let all gun owners know how they feel about our rights, i also let him know that i would gladly return once they changed their policy.
    Just as a heads up, even though you weren't in the wrong by entering without it posted, even if an establishment isn't posted if the owner/manager or someone acting on their part (security) ask you to leave or disarm and you refuse it is still breaking the law even though it's not posted. I'm not implying you didn't know this, just wanted to put it out there for anyone that may not know that tidbit.

Also, in my researching, I haven't found a mall yet that actually allowed carrying either concealed or open. Few are posted properly if at all. They expect you to read the fine print in a code of conduct and some go as far as listing this policy on their website only. I just avoid malls due to this ignorance on their part.

It is pretty much the way it is for all the malls, I don't do business with them for that reason. I am not sure though that they can make decisions for private business on the mall property though. They pay their rent, they should have complete control of the property they lease.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It is pretty much the way it is for all the malls, I don't do business with them for that reason. I am not sure though that they can make decisions for private business on the mall property though. They pay their rent, they should have complete control of the property they lease.
    All leases come with terms of some kind. In the case of malls, it is probably to abide by the owners' rule of not allowing weapons. Even if the store itself isn't posted, many times the signage at the entrance to the parking lot will have it noted.

Like most of the rest, I don't go to the mall if I can get what I'm after somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    All leases come with terms of some kind. In the case of malls, it is probably to abide by the owners' rule of not allowing weapons. Even if the store itself isn't posted, many times the signage at the entrance to the parking lot will have it noted.

Like most of the rest, I don't go to the mall if I can get what I'm after somewhere else.
    Last time I was in a mall was about ten years ago, but they did not seem to be doing well, many empty spaces. It might be time for them to stop trying to keep people out. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by EmtFFKev View Post
    Just as a heads up, even though you weren't in the wrong by entering without it posted, even if an establishment isn't posted if the owner/manager or someone acting on their part (security) ask you to leave or disarm and you refuse it is still breaking the law even though it's not posted. I'm not implying you didn't know this, just wanted to put it out there for anyone that may not know that tidbit.

Kev I was going to post the same thing so the thread wouldn't have misinformation in it.

As for the part I made bold text, I think you're wrong. Hillbilly sounds like he had it wrong and sincerely thought he was doing the guy a courtesy by complying.

Exact same situation happened to me in Crabtree mall in Raleigh. Doors not posted so I carried on through, got stopped by mall special police but I KNEW that I'd be trespassing if asked to leave. Unfortunately we hit a "snag" in the discussion when they continued to demand my ID and I refused, all the while stating I would be happy to leave upon hearing of their no guns policy for the first time. So they arrested me and charged me with obstruction. Friday night at Wake Co. detention sucks balls. Case was later dismissed and firearm returned.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    Kev I was going to post the same thing so the thread wouldn't have misinformation in it.

As for the part I made bold text, I think you're wrong. Hillbilly sounds like he had it wrong and sincerely thought he was doing the guy a courtesy by complying.

Exact same situation happened to me in Crabtree mall in Raleigh. Doors not posted so I carried on through, got stopped by mall special police but I KNEW that I'd be trespassing if asked to leave. Unfortunately we hit a "snag" in the discussion when they continued to demand my ID and I refused, all the while stating I would be happy to leave upon hearing of their no guns policy for the first time. So they arrested me and charged me with obstruction. Friday night at Wake Co. detention sucks balls. Case was later dismissed and firearm returned.
    Actually I did understand this law. It is technically legal to carry in an establishment if not posted however it becomes a tresspassing charge if they ask you to leave and you refuse. That is why I left peacefully and took my buisness with me.

Have you followed up with a lawsuit? What was the charge?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Sounds like an unlawful arrest, to me. http://constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm