• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assisted LEO's with Senior driver!

DWCook

Activist Member
Long story short here, I followed what first was a suspicious driver possibly intoxicated all the way from I-35 South Bound here in Lenexa, Kansas. I was on the phone with several dispatch agencies from Lenexa PD, to State Trooper, and then to Johnson County Sheriff. I stayed on the phone and followed the driver two car lengths behind, while keeping dispatch from Joco updated on the drivers status. The senior was swirving from left to right, could not get his vehicle straight at all. I did not get any assitance from authorities until I reached Gardner as dispatch alerted Gardner, KS Police Department and they were waiting on the ramps to the I-35 N and S. When Gardner PD took over and lit their sirens up the senior would not stop, he kept driving on the emergency lane. So I pulled in front of the senior to slow him down to a stop. The PD were behind him, so I figured I help. I did not get close to the driver, I merely was a car length away in front hitting my breaks to enable the tail lights. He eventually stopped as he came within two feet of possibly 2mph bumper tap lol. Anyways at the time the PD nor did I know what the status of the driver was, PD thought the guy was intoxicated as he did swerve when the PD took over following him. We did not know it was a senior driver until they finally got him to pull over.There were from my view at least four squad cars with their lights and sirens on following him, when we stopped it ended up being eight police cars all pulled off on the side of I-35 South Bound exit after the Gardner Exit.

Johnson County Sheriff dispatch requested me as I was following the driver to have my hazards on so the squad cars can recgonize who is who. We started from I-35 75th street all the way Gardner, pretty good drive. I did not get any other assists during this little drive from any agency besides Gardner PD. Couldnt figure out why others weren't jumping in. It ended up being a 35mph slow chase with the PD in the emergency lane. Nothing bad happen nor charges were pressed cause the senior was not medically sound as I was told. He had a hard time remember and explaining, he was going in an out of conversations and questions. Oh and when I was following him we were only doing 40 to 45 MPH the entire way.

Figure I share, I felt good assisting and making sure the driver went home safe. I say I spoke pretty clear to Johnson County Sheriff dispatch as I gave them mile markers, exits, speed, driver status, etc. Over all I think I did good, like I said it feels great helping out the PD. Oh spoke with one of the Gardner police officers, we kicked the bucket even after the officers left. Showed him the coins we all just got, and told him about the organization. He was very friendly, and was all for everyone owning firearms. Told him about the site, so he might possibly poke in and introduce himself :) Hopefully :)

Only thing I will gripe about, I passed through Merriam PD territory, Lenexa, Olathe and none of them even got on the highway. Wasn't any police assist until Gardner. But I still feel good in assisting the PD and making sure everyone was safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like it might have been diabetic shock (hypoglycemia - low blood sugar), but could have been any of a number of other medical issues.

Thanks for looking out for the rest of the motoring public and sticking with it till the authorities showed up.

I'm just curious -
Nothing bad happen nor charges were pressed cause the senior was not medically sound as I was told. He had a hard time remember and explaining, he was going in an out of conversations and questions. Oh and when I was following him we were only doing 40 to 45 MPH the entire way.

Figure I share, I felt good assisting and making sure the driver went home safe.
-
are you saying that after all that the driver went home in his own automobile which he drove? That could be downright scary!:uhoh:

Did you give the Gardner PD officer the password so he does not get mugged on his first post?;)

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
-
are you saying that after all that the driver went home in his own automobile which he drove? That could be downright scary!:uhoh:

The elderly driver said he was just going to McDonalds .. the police thought his journey would end there...

Nice story. All ended well (except for those diners in McDonalds who unluckily choose the booths by the north wall).

twoskinsonemanns

Long story short here, I followed what first was a suspicious driver possibly intoxicated

Glad the senior is ok.

You often follow driver's you suspect are driving intoxicated and slow down in front of them to stop them on the road?

SFCRetired

Just another reason that old people on the roads scare me.

And this old person is just as scared of the young lunatics who think that they are immortal and have the driving skills of a Formula One driver. Most of them do not have the driving skills to go as fast as they do.

How do I know? Years of driving at speeds that would get me put under the jail here, but that were legal where I was. Don't know how they are now, but when I was there, the German autobahn system, with very few exceptions, had no speed limit. I took the time to take lessons in how to drive at those speeds and owned cars that could go in excess of 140mph. Wouldn't do it now, though. My reflexes have slowed too much.

FWIW, every time I see my doctor, I ask her to evaluate me as far as whether or not I should continue driving. The day she, or anyone else that I will listen to, says I need to give up the car keys, I will.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just another reason that old people on the roads scare me.

Old people are cool ... they were much cooler 20 yrs ago with all the WWII vets walking around and if you moaned about something, they would tell you what they went through and that you're an ingrate.

They are usually straight shooters that can be cranky ... what ya gonna do? Punk.

SFCRetired

Well, if you must give up the car keys will you then give up your firearm(s)?

It would hinge on why I gave up the car keys. If it's a physical issue, then I doubt it. If it's onset dementia or Alzheimer's (or some other issue that would impair my judgment), yes, I would. But not to you!:lol:

Actually, I plan to live to be a hundred years old and then get shot by a jealous husband with an eighteen-year-old wife!!;)

FWIW, yes, I do know what a cell phone is. No, I do not text at all. Also, my car is bluetooth enabled. So, when I'm talking on the phone and driving, I'm talking through my car with both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. I don't even like that small distraction.

Jack House

Old people are cool ...
Ya know, one of the reasons the experts theorize for crime going down is because all the baby boomers are too old to commit crimes.
eusa_whistle.gif

Freedom1Man

Yes but one thing you don't have to worry about is them TEXTING, most people his age don't even know what a cell phone is.....lol

Just today. I saw one old man back a truck into his own car and then a still older man could not figure out how to back his car BETWEEN 2 white lines.

In MD I almost broad sided an older couple because they pulled out in front of the F250 I had with a full load plus trailer and could not figure out why I was upset with them.

Yes, I also have a problem with those who text and drive too. I never saw any point in doing it. But I could drive a stick shift with a phone held against my ear with my shoulder.

Old people in general buy cars that are way to big for them to handle (my grandmother was one of them while she was alive) and the can't figure out how to park them between lines, go around a corner with out rubbing the curb, etc.

It's not JUST old people or even ALL old people it's just those are the ones that stand out. Kinda like certain races tend to be more tied to gangs and crime. Not everyone of those races are tied to gangs and crime it's just that most of the people in those gangs and committing crimes are of certain races.

Certain races are tied to being suicide bombers kinda thing.

DWCook

Activist Member
No I do not often follow other drivers if I suspect them of something. Only reason why I followed this individual was because right after 75th and I-35 South, he almost creamed into a Nissan Titan. I did not want other motorist having to risk getting hit by the driver. That is the reason why I followed, also the PD thanked me a long with the Sheriffs Department for helping on keeping the roads safe.

cabledawg

Kansas cops suck for response to bad drivers, especially on the turnpike. Shortly after we moved to Wichita, we had gone to El Dorado and on the way back came across a guy driver his 1 ton p/u and stock trailer like a 75 mph bulldozer. He had run two cars off the road trying to pass them and had us pinned to the center divider when we refused to let him bully us. Called in the make/ model and plate numbers of both the truck and trailer only to be told "we have a unit in the area". Never saw anyone for the next 20 minutes as we tried to keep up with him (he sped up to 90 when he realized we were most likely calling him in). He eventually got off the turnpike and we'd hoped that dispatch had contacted the tollbooths to stop him. We sat on teh side of the highway just past the off ramp and watched him slow down, pay his toll and drive off. We informed the 911 operator what had happend and hung up. I did my civil duty to the extent that I could.

Rewind about ten years and there was an incident at our church one night. As evening service was letting out, a couple of girls came blasting through the parking lot almost hitting two parked cars then nearly running over a woman (close enough she had her hands on the hood). My wife called 911 as we hopped in our car and took off after them. About 10 minutes later and chasing them all over town, they finally bailed out into an apartment complex. We sat down the street until two patrol cars showed up. They went to the apartment and out come two girls matching the description we gave. Both were taken into custody and we later found out that both were 14 and one was drunk. They had stolen the car from the mother of one girl and gone joyriding. While not openly advocating pursuit, the one officer said they could have never found them as the car model is common and the girls had pulled off the plates hoping they wouldnt get called in.