• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Salt Lake Libraries(specifically the Sandy/Draper libraries)?

Steinmetzify

I've looked, and the only thing I can find is an old news clip for the Deseret News about restricting OC in libraries; does anyone know if this is still in effect?

I find myself in the rare position of having the day off, and was planning on stopping by the Sandy library. Just wondering if people have ever OCed there and if it's allowed or not?

Thanks,

S

aadvark

Steinmetzify:

It is Legal to Carry a Firearm into a Public Building in Utah..., so as long as The Public Building does NOT Qualify as a 'Secure Facility'.

Local Governments are Preempted from Regulating Firearms in Utah, so Salt Lake County or Salt Lake City CANNOT Regulate in This Subject-matter.

However, in Order to either: 1. Load The Firearm, OR 2. Conceal The Firearm; You must have a Permit Issued by Utah or a State in which Utah Reconizes.

aadvark

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Unless someone can point to a piece of STATE level legislation authorizing the prohibition on the possession and / or carry of a firearm in a PUBLIC Library in the State of Utah it would be a violation of STATE LAW to enforce such ban or policy!

Please see: http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE53/htm/53_05a010200.htm

53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

Renumbered and Amended by Chapter 382, 2008 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WordPerfect 53_05a010200.ZIP 2,580 Bytes

and further: http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050000.htm

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

Enacted by Chapter 5, 1999 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WordPerfect 76_10_050000.ZIP 2,133 Bytes

any questions?