• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield Oregon

papa smurf

i am looking for clirification on an issue. i have heard opencarry is legal in springfield, illegal in springfield, and illegel in springfield parks and recreation areas. also i have heard it is not legal to carry loaded.not legal to caryy chambered..... bvlah blah blah. calling leo get more confusion so is there someone who can spell out the details in plain english for those of us who are confused.

hermannr

i am looking for clirification on an issue. i have heard opencarry is legal in springfield, illegal in springfield, and illegel in springfield parks and recreation areas. also i have heard it is not legal to carry loaded.not legal to caryy chambered..... bvlah blah blah. calling leo get more confusion so is there someone who can spell out the details in plain english for those of us who are confused.

I can't find the reference right now, but it is my understanding that the City Of Springfield does have a Parks and recreation district restriction on UNLICENSED carry...They have no say if you have a CHL and you can OC or CC everywhere ORS 166 says you can with a CHL.

So, can you OC in Springfield? Yes, and no. With a CHL, yes you can.

Without a License to carry you cannot loaded carry (OC or CC) in a City of Springfield Park, or a parks and recreation controlled building, however, unlicensed you can loaded OC in the City of Springfield.

Yes, I read the law, and so should you...I'm just sorry I could not get you a link...I'll keep trying

ok, here it is: (My bold)

5.286 Possession of Loaded Firearms Prohibited.
Except as provided in ORS 166.173(2), it shall be unlawful for any person to possess any loaded: firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive powder, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic mechanism at any public park and recreation district facility open to or frequented by the public, including, but not limited to, parks, roads, buildings, and parking lots. This prohibition shall not apply to activities sponsored or authorized by a park district. The above offense is punishable as a violation and subject to a fine not exceeding $720.00 pursuant to SMC section 1.205. [Section 5.286 amended by Ordinance No. 6169, enacted May 15, 2006; further amended by Ordinance No. 6173, enacted May 15, 2006.]

As you will see from this (5.118 Weapons—Unlawful Discharge or Use of a Dangerous Weapon) the discharge is prohibited in teh City itself, but not the carry. The restriction on UNLICENESED carry is only with parks and recreation facilities.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Does eugene have a law like this and what site do you use to look up eugene laws please?

Usually I search for the city I'm looking for and "municipal codes". So for Eugene, this site comes up: http://www.eugene-or.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/Index/262

Offenses is the section likely to prohibit firearms, so I clicked on that. Interestingly enough, I found this unconstitutional law:

Weapons - Discharging Firearms. Except on established ranges, no
person other than a peace officer in line of duty shall discharge a gun,
including spring or air-actuated pellet gun, air gun or BB gun, or other
weapon which propels a projectile by use of gunpowder or other explosive,
jet, or rocket propulsion.

No exception for self-defense means unconstitutional in my book.

Dogbait

Usually I search for the city I'm looking for and "municipal codes". So for Eugene, this site comes up: http://www.eugene-or.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/Index/262

Offenses is the section likely to prohibit firearms, so I clicked on that. Interestingly enough, I found this unconstitutional law:

ORS 166.172 - Authority of city to regulate discharge of firearms
(1) A city may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within the citys boundaries.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.
(b) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.
(c) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §3; 2009 c.556 §2]

Would the city ordinance be VOID under 166.170 - State Preemption if it lacks the required exemptions?

hermannr

ORS 166.172 - Authority of city to regulate discharge of firearms

Would the city ordinance be VOID under 166.170 - State Preemption if it lacks the required exemptions?

I would say that they could charge you, but it would not stick...in a SD situation, In the other other situations, it would depend on your lawyer. Yes, it does not have a provision for SD exemption, or even for your discharge of a weapon in support of LE (that does happen, like the guy in TX that took out a person with a rifle firing on a LEO.) Poorly written, possibly completely void because of the oversight.