• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Read N' Carry - Richmond Public Library, Main Branch 8/15/12 5PM-7PM

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
fish-in-fishing-nets-vector.jpg

Ain't gonna catch anything I want with that rig. :uhoh:

Tanner

wow talk about timing! As soon as he said "what if there were a law that said no african americans accept allowed by law" All the while there was a black man leaving the library in the background! :banghead: :uhoh: :shocker:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
wow talk about timing! As soon as he said "what if there were a law that said no african americans accept allowed by law" All the while there was a black man leaving the library in the background! :banghead: :uhoh: :shocker:

I'd say the timing was perfect. It just emphasizes the absurdity of their wording. :rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Virginia is a Dillon Rule state and the General Assembly did not authorize any signs regarding guns = therefore the signage is illegal, even if it were not misleading to the average reader.

I think we need to start hammering this home a little more.

I'd like to hammer it home a lot. Think our next stop should be Richmond City Council.

TFred

I think we need to start hammering this home a little more.

I'd like to hammer it home a lot. Think our next stop should be Richmond City Council.
We need to take a lesson from the NRA and the ACLU. Pick two or three open-and-shut violations of 15.2-915, file suit, win and collect fees and expenses. Once word gets out that this is how it happens, I suspect we will find the localities much more complaint than they are right now.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't started putting the video together yet, but since channel 12 was trying to get library patrons to say they didn't like the idea of guns, I talked to a few outside. One in particular wanted a GSL sticker, so I gave him one. Then he wanted to say something.

Here is his un graded, un edited and down rezed comment.

[video=youtube;Flpc3wRvxD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flpc3wRvxD8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Growing very fond of saying, "The public just isn't drinking the Kool-Aid any longer." That man gets it!

VCDL President

Centurion
I haven't started putting the video together yet, but since channel 12 was trying to get library patrons to say they didn't like the idea of guns, I talked to a few outside. One in particular wanted a GSL sticker, so I gave him one. Then he wanted to say something.

Here is his un graded, un edited and down rezed comment.

[video=youtube;Flpc3wRvxD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flpc3wRvxD8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Excellent, Peter! I can't wait to see what other good stuff you have up your sleeve...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The "carrying concealed weapons is prohibited, except as permitted by law" policy has been removed from the handout provided at the main desk and is annotated as being revised on Aug.12, 2012 - that was Sunday. Apparently someone thought it was important enough to do immediately and that it could not wait until normal working schedules on Monday. :lol:

BUT a check of their website this A.M. reveals the following is still listed:
"Carrying concealed weapons is prohibited, except as permitted by law."
http://www.richmondpubliclibrary.or... Regulations for Conduct in Library_R8-12.pdf

The misleading, inaccurate information is still being offered to the public :banghead:

Would it be too much to ask that the Library's right hand be allowed to be in sync with their left hand?

BTW - OC is not "permitted by law" - in fact statute law does not mention open carry at all.
Just another way this rule is wrong, so very wrong.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You can't buy this kind of publicity!

Richmond Times-Dispatch:
http://www.wric.com/global/Category.asp?c=190525&clipId=7619108&autostart=true

Channel 6:
http://wtvr.com/2012/08/15/library-gun-protest-richmond-virginia/

Channel 8:
http://www.wric.com/global/Category.asp?c=190525&clipId=7619108&autostart=true

Channel 12:
http://www.nbc12.com/story/19290231...richmond-library-rule-with-open-carry-read-in

Thanks for the excellent show of support, especially to the women - your dedication is golden to the cause of freedom and RKBA.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
By the way, how are things over at the Library of Virginia with regards to lawfully possessed firearms? It's a much nicer place to visit than the Richmond Library.

A while ago they had a large sign in front of their front doors. They were contacted. While not under the preemption law they decided there was not a problem with folks OCing or CCing so long as they did not create noise by shooting up the place.

stay safe.

ws91420

I posted this AM

Everyone needs to think for a moment. How many times have you passed someone that is carrying with a valid CHP. You wouldn't know because it is concealed. The way the library has the rule currently you can open carry but not concealed carry and quote a section of the Virginia code. That section says nothing about being able to restrict concealed carry much less open carry in a public library. If someone were going to do some malicious with a gun or other weapon at a library do you think they would really care about the rules.

The main issue is the wording of the rule is ambigious(sp). It is saying you can open carry and conceal carry weapons as allowed by law. My take on what they are trying to say is that you can conceal carry with a permit but that is the only type of weapon that can be concealed by law. That is having to read into the intent of the way its worded, but different people can read into it different things. At no time in the interview did the library spokesperson say they were not allowing them to have guns in the library.

And this also

Also this article had over 23 comments last night and since been reposted and all those comments are no longer here. I would like to know what happend to those since people were expressing their freedomof speech and now they seem to be censored..

Thundar

Yep///the soccer moms are up in arms.

This whole library carry issue gives me the giggles just thinking about what it does to Mame BaCote. She is the delegate from my district. She is the one that puts in the legislative proposal to allow localities to regulate library carry every year. The only thing that would be better for me is if we had a Newport News library carry campaign (Her district is Newport News). Pursed lips, cross eyed stare and steam coming out of her ears, a completely frustrated gun grabber. Just the thing to make me smile.

Arma1911

Congratulations for a terrific event at the Richmond Library! Thank you to everyone who showed up to help and support ALL Virginia gun owners. I am in NoVA so I am sorry that I wasn't able to participate at this event. But thanks again to all!

ws91420

It's funny the first article in RTD prior to the event seemed PRO for the writers viewpoint. The writer that covered the event seemed to put a more ANTI slant on it. I guess that is the way the paper can stay neutral by having two different writers give opposite views on the same subject instead of providing an unbiased accounting of the news. If you only read one or the other articles you won't get the whole story.