Thread: a little confused about carrying in vehicle...

a little confused about carrying in vehicle...

hello everyone,im new to the site and new to open carrying and have been getting myself familiar with the laws but one has me somewhat confused,i understand i can have it in a vehicle glovebox or in plain sight but is in my holster considered plain sight? where i live they routinely have sobriety checkpoints and i don't want to get stopped at one and go to jail because it was in my hip holster and not in the glovebox or layed up on the dash..any help is greatly appreciated and im loving the site..

While I cannot cite a particular KY law, I will say, DO NOT ever put a loaded pistol on your dash or on your seat...very very hazzarous if you have an accident...nothing to do with mans law, it's the law of Physics you need to worry about there. OK

I wear mine on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    While I cannot cite a particular KY law, I will say, DO NOT ever put a loaded pistol on your dash or on your seat...very very hazzarous if you have an accident...nothing to do with mans law, it's the law of Physics you need to worry about there. OK

I wear mine on my hip.

oh yea i completely agree on what your saying,i always just keep it in the center console but was just wanting to know if it's legal for me to keep it holstered,as it seems one cop could say im concealing on my person but another could say it's in plain site..has me confused.lol

Quote Originally Posted by kythunder View Post
    hello everyone,im new to the site and new to open carrying and have been getting myself familiar with the laws but one has me somewhat confused,i understand i can have it in a vehicle glovebox or in plain sight but is in my holster considered plain sight? where i live they routinely have sobriety checkpoints and i don't want to get stopped at one and go to jail because it was in my hip holster and not in the glovebox or layed up on the dash..any help is greatly appreciated and im loving the site..
    It is perfectly legal to carry a handgun openly in your vehicle. As long as you are not attempting to conceal it, you are find. And you can not only have your handgun in your glove box, but in any container or pocket installed by the manufacturer. Hope this helps!
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post

I wear mine on my hip.
    For future note; I suggest you, and him, and anyone else who wishes to keep it on their dashboard, to do as I do, VELCRO AWW YEAHHH! Velcro, or just get a second holster and screw it into your dashboard.

Laws [of nature at-least] are meant to be broken, with man-made stuff to help!
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Activist Member
    Yes, you can leave your firearm in its holster while driving. Just because your body is obstructing an officer's view from your drivers side window, it does not constitute concealing your weapon. You can keep your firearm or other deadly weapon in ANY factory installed enclosed storage compartment, not just the glovebox (KRS 527.020).
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Yes, you can leave your firearm in its holster while driving. Just because your body is obstructing an officer's view from your drivers side window, it does not constitute concealing your weapon. You can keep your firearm or other deadly weapon in ANY factory installed enclosed storage compartment, not just the glovebox (KRS 527.020).
    thank you everyone for the replies,i had already knew about concealing it in a vehicle just wasn't clear to me if i could leave it holstered but now i feel much better about it..thanks for the great help and love the info this site has to offer..