• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a little confused about carrying in vehicle...

kythunder

hello everyone,im new to the site and new to open carrying and have been getting myself familiar with the laws but one has me somewhat confused,i understand i can have it in a vehicle glovebox or in plain sight but is in my holster considered plain sight? where i live they routinely have sobriety checkpoints and i don't want to get stopped at one and go to jail because it was in my hip holster and not in the glovebox or layed up on the dash..any help is greatly appreciated and im loving the site..

hermannr

While I cannot cite a particular KY law, I will say, DO NOT ever put a loaded pistol on your dash or on your seat...very very hazzarous if you have an accident...nothing to do with mans law, it's the law of Physics you need to worry about there. OK

I wear mine on my hip.

kythunder

While I cannot cite a particular KY law, I will say, DO NOT ever put a loaded pistol on your dash or on your seat...very very hazzarous if you have an accident...nothing to do with mans law, it's the law of Physics you need to worry about there. OK

I wear mine on my hip.

oh yea i completely agree on what your saying,i always just keep it in the center console but was just wanting to know if it's legal for me to keep it holstered,as it seems one cop could say im concealing on my person but another could say it's in plain site..has me confused.lol

hotrod

hello everyone,im new to the site and new to open carrying and have been getting myself familiar with the laws but one has me somewhat confused,i understand i can have it in a vehicle glovebox or in plain sight but is in my holster considered plain sight? where i live they routinely have sobriety checkpoints and i don't want to get stopped at one and go to jail because it was in my hip holster and not in the glovebox or layed up on the dash..any help is greatly appreciated and im loving the site..

It is perfectly legal to carry a handgun openly in your vehicle. As long as you are not attempting to conceal it, you are find. And you can not only have your handgun in your glove box, but in any container or pocket installed by the manufacturer. Hope this helps!

DrakeZ07

I wear mine on my hip.

For future note; I suggest you, and him, and anyone else who wishes to keep it on their dashboard, to do as I do, VELCRO AWW YEAHHH! Velcro, or just get a second holster and screw it into your dashboard.

Laws [of nature at-least] are meant to be broken, with man-made stuff to help!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yes, you can leave your firearm in its holster while driving. Just because your body is obstructing an officer's view from your drivers side window, it does not constitute concealing your weapon. You can keep your firearm or other deadly weapon in ANY factory installed enclosed storage compartment, not just the glovebox (KRS 527.020).

kythunder

Yes, you can leave your firearm in its holster while driving. Just because your body is obstructing an officer's view from your drivers side window, it does not constitute concealing your weapon. You can keep your firearm or other deadly weapon in ANY factory installed enclosed storage compartment, not just the glovebox (KRS 527.020).

thank you everyone for the replies,i had already knew about concealing it in a vehicle just wasn't clear to me if i could leave it holstered but now i feel much better about it..thanks for the great help and love the info this site has to offer..