• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kangaroo's here in fayetteville

fayettevillin

can u OC in the kangaroo stores ive checked all the ones i frequent and they have no signs up talked to one of the guys i buy my lotto from everyday and he said they didnt allow it, i told him with no signs posted its legal and nc is a open carry state he said nope still ..anyone have any expierence with oc in there establisments?

bc.cruiser

can u OC in the kangaroo stores ive checked all the ones i frequent and they have no signs up talked to one of the guys i buy my lotto from everyday and he said they didnt allow it, i told him with no signs posted its legal and nc is a open carry state he said nope still ..anyone have any expierence with oc in there establisments?

"We all" wish you would stop that. If you don't ask, they may not tell. Don't remind them!:banghead:
Until someone at an unposted business tells you that you cannot carry at that location, do so and do it without fanfare. The guy you talked to probably had never thought to address the issue before; now you are on notice at that store. (Which one was it?)

fayettevillin

"We all" wish you would stop that. If you don't ask, they may not tell. Don't remind them!:banghead:
Until someone at an unposted business tells you that you cannot carry at that location, do so and do it without fanfare. The guy you talked to probably had never thought to address the issue before; now you are on notice at that store. (Which one was it?)

the roo on the corner of cumberland and hope mills...hes one of those no it all clerks that think the store wont run if hes not around if u see a blue mitsubishi hes there!

WalkingWolf

the roo on the corner of cumberland and hope mills...hes one of those no it all clerks that think the store wont run if hes not around if u see a blue mitsubishi hes there!

If he is not the manager ignore him. I have open carried in every Kangaroo around my area, and some outside, for years. Unless it is posted don't worry about it.

bc.cruiser

In 2 Kangaroos in Fayetteville today (Cliffdale @ Raeford, Cliffdale @ Rim) and 1 in Spring Lake ( 210 near Ray Rd), nobody cared enough to comment. Have previously been in the one at Cliffdale/Reilly Rd, Reilly/Morganton also non-events.

Same story at Northern Tool.

nobama

+1. Please dont do that.

rotorhead

I have yet to see a Kangaroo express here in Fayetteville posted against guns (oc or cc), but other stores in other towns are posted. For example, the Kangaroo Express on HWY 70 in Goldsboro is still posted against concealed carry, despite recently being the location of a robbery attempt. In that robbery, the criminal showed a gun and attempted to rob the store. Another customer recognized what was going on and pulled out his own gun and shot the robber in the head, thus ending the crime.

The other customer was not charged for any crime.

I contacted the HQ of Kangaroo Express to have them email their specific policy concerning customers carrying in their stores, but I've yet to receive a response. As best I can tell, it appears that it's up to the individual stores.

WilcoHess, on the other hand, responded positively and does not restrict customers carrying in any fashion, cc or oc. I contacted them in response to an incident where one of their cashiers told me that I could not carry in that store. It was strange because no employee, manager, or district manager had ever mentioned that to me in over 20 years of carrying in that one store. So, I contacted their main office and received a positive response in less than 24 hours. The cashier had talked recently with his manager and was confusing their policy against their employees carrying at work, with that of their non-policy of customers carrying.

So, WilcoHess: good to go. Kangaroo Express: still unknown officially so just watch for signs.

muccione

I had a SM in Conover, NC tell me the same thing. I left my $30 worth of purchases on the counter and left. I emailed and call the corporate office.The Vice President called me and I was told that they to follow state law. And was welcome at any of their stores.
She also informed me that the DM was contacted and he would let the SM know what the "policy" is. She also said that it would go out to all the DMs to let the staff know and this should never happen again... When I when back to the store the SM apologized.

Most of the time employees think that customers MUST follow the employee handbook. They say things like "it says so in the employee handbook". Just ask them for the customer handbook. And remind them that your NOT an employee.

Call corporate and tell them the employees name and they will fix it.

frodo0602

respond by

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how to respond to situations like this, all the while keeping in mind our main goals: educate ourselves and others, and make carrying in any fashion more accepted until we are back to our basic right to bear arms with zero infringement on that right.

1. Always carry a copy of current laws, statutes, etc, to educate people about our rights and to back up your own words and actions.
2. Once approached negatively, remind that person of your rights and ask to speak to the manager.
3. If the manager replies with the same, ask "are you asking me to leave?"
4. If they say yes, then tell them you will comply, but you are going to write corporate in regards to their gun policy, will not frequent their stores or spend money in their establishment, and will put them on a "gun unfriendly list." This statement and action shows them what they will lose when they don't allow gun owners to carry in their stores.
5. Leave peacefully :)
6. Follow up on that letter to corporate, and follow up again, and again, until they finally give you an answer. If corporate says they don't allow guns, then we won't go to their stores. If corporate says they have no problem with it...
7. Return to store/manager with their response. Rinse and repeat with corporate if the store manager is still giving you issues.
8. Finally post your experience on OCDO so we can all learn!

Some tips: Make sure you record if possible, and make sure you get names/dates/times at a minimum. Have extra copies of items such as the NC handout on another thread to leave with people.

That's seems to be a frequent tactic from others that I've read here on OCDO. I haven't had to deal with this personally yet. It seems to be a good standard practice for many others on this site that has yielded good results without getting arrested :)

kdogg0987

Shell is OC friendly.

I work at a Shell station in North Carolina. We do not have signs posted and are a friendly to those that OC. I myself carry openly, not while working but before my shift and afterwards. I would respect any business that asked me to leave due to the presence of my handgun. But I would make contact with high ranking officals in said business.

Many times i have had very meaningful conversations with customers that carry. Some have to OC and some have CCW's. Most times it ends up with us trading stories or setting up dates to go out and get some target practice in.

To fayettevillin I hope you get to carry in those stores you frequent so much. I'm sure the clerks you are friendly with would love to keep a good customer happy and coming back. Without the customers us clerks at these stores would not have jobs very long.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard OCDO kdog - nice story straight out of the gate.

Puts a new meaning to the shell game doesn't it - long live OC friendly clerks :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how to respond to situations like this, all the while keeping in mind our main goals: educate ourselves and others, and make carrying in any fashion more accepted until we are back to our basic right to bear arms with zero infringement on that right.

1. Always carry a copy of current laws, statutes, etc, to educate people about our rights and to back up your own words and actions.
2. Once approached negatively, remind that person of your rights and ask to speak to the manager.
3. .....

Can we stop right there, please?

Crying that your rights are being infringed only applies to what the government does to you. You have no rights on someone else's property - only the privileges they grant to you. (Yes, the government tells them there are certain things they cannot do, but those are not "your rights".)

Having the facts at hand, and asking to speak to the person in charge are good things. But remember you have no rights there, only privileges that they can withdraw at any time they want to.

That being the case, you and the OC concept as a whole migt be better served by saying things like "I meant no offense in my behavior. I open carry because <___> and make sure I obey all the laws, which if you would like to see are here on this piece of paper." The exact words do not much matter so much as that you come across as someone who is concerned with behaving appropriately and within the law, and are willing to help the person in charge know what the laws are regarding carrying firearms.

Asking them if they are throwing you out is just like saying there were no signs saying no firearms - they might not have thought of doing that until you brought it up. So do not bring it up. If they want to throw you out they will let you know without you asking.

Telling the person in charge that you are going to contact the people over their head rarely helps. It often is seen as childish and/or petty, and it can give the person in charge the idea to contact higher headquarters first with their side of the story that supports what they did. When you finally contact the next level you are playing catch-up.

If higher management responds to you saying they are comfortable with not throwing you out (the backwards way of saying they will not oppose OCing) and you go back and wave it at the person who you had first contact with, all you are doing is rubbing it in their face. They probably have already been contacted and told not to oppose OCing. If not, it is not your job to tell them that. Going back to whoever informed you that OCing is OK and informing them that the word apparently has not yet trickled down to the person in charge is well and good, as long as you do not appear to be whining or come across as demanding that "something be done" or the person in charge punished/fired.

Our goal ought to be making friends and being accepted, as opposed to being petty whingers who think that they have rights on someone's private property.

Most certainly share the results of your efforts here on OCDO. If you overcame initial opposition we want to share your accomplishment and know there is another business that understands that merely wearing a handgun is not evil intent or a threat of harm. If you could not get that result we want to know so we do not suffer the same mistreatment you endured.

stay safe.

frodo0602

Can we stop right there, please?

I do understand that our rights stop where the rights of others begin, and indeed we have no rights on others' private property. So, i'm sorry i came off that way. And i'm definitely not advocating immature whinning. Each and every encounter should be done with respect to all individuals involved. last, i don't know how others experiences have gone as far as passing of information. As i stated i have never had to follow this path myself. however, my experience is: ignorant people (for the most part), maintain their ignorance unless forced to do otherwise. Going back to inform, was not meant to be misconstrued as rubbing it in someone's face, but more to ensure the desired changed was effected.

Thanks for pointing out some nuances of this approach; i feel the same about most but may not have come off that way. I think the only thing we disagree on is following up to ensure that the management team is aware of Corporate policy. I personally feel that the follow up is required for one of the main goals i stated in the original post: making it more accepted. I don't want us to continually fight the same battles, and I don't have the optimism you do about the correct information being dissemenated.

I might feel a little different once i have one of these encounters myself. I will post of course to get feedback similar to what you have provided already. I think we can both agree that no matter the details, each encounter should be handled to highlight OCers favorably, as a respectful, law-abiding group. Thanks for the response.