• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I love exploring Lexington

DrakeZ07

I really do enjoy Lexington, it's one of my favorite cities to explore, even if I've grew up around and near it. Oh, the things you find, and the people you meet, when you spend the day down town with a couple friends, and OC'ing while enjoying yourself. Anyway! to the point of this post!

I thought I'd bring it up to everyone's attention that I've stumbled across three businesses that welcomed my open carrying, and have some of the nicest, and coolest employees I've met in a while at any given business in this fine state.

My friends and I was very hungry this morning, and having decided to do a random day trip to the big city, for shopping, exploring, and a "girls day out", so to speak, we was fighting over a place to have our breakfast. One was wanting something nice and fancy, the other was wanting something quaint and small, and I just wanted somewhere cheap. So, we drove all around new circle, tates creek, harrodsburg, Winchester rd, and ended up on Leestown rd. Neither of us was familiar with the area, but, this hole in the wall diner place in a runned down old strip mall caught our eyes. Meadowthorpe Cafe, is a nice lil restaurant, claims to have the "voted best burgers", and they cooked up a hearty breakfast that beats cracker barrel for me, xD. Their very OC friendly, as we stood at the order line up, and the dude cooking, who took our orders said "awesome peace, thanks for coming in, we need more like ya". Very cozy lil place, the food was good, and didn't cost an arm and a leg, and although coffee was a buck 70 a cup, it was very worth it.-- At checkout, I told the nice lady there, that I appreciated her and her diner and staff being so welcoming of our constitutional rights, and that I'd recommend her diner to other OC'ers; which she must have enjoyed enough, to give the three of us a free slice of cheese cake.

After getting our fill of breakfast/brunch, and under the effects of the rich sugar high of the home made cheesecake, we started off towards down town, parking at the library garage, and walking around down town, doing mostly window shopping and catching up on things. Somehow, we ended up on Woodland ave, or street, or something, and as we was starting to come down off our sugar high, we found this cute and cozy pie place, called Missy's Pies! First off to note, the waiting line to order and pay, barely big enough for two people to be in line, but oh. my. gods. the pies, so many of them. Anyway, we ordered our Lil slice of diabetes to each of us, and I got in a friendly conversation with a Arabic/Islamic female, a lil older than me, with a head scarf thingy, who was behind the counter. She said she didn't see many people carrying a gun, and asked some questions about it, about owning one, and carrying it, and stuff. I didn't detect any hostility, or trolling from her, so, I gave her some papers I keep on me at all times when OC'ing in towns, directing her to handgunlaw, and Holland v commonwealth, etc. Again, mentioned I'd tell other OC's about her stores OC friendliness, and for that, I got a very awkward hug by this very kind Arabic lady, xD

And finally, we stopped by a lil hookah place near the UK book store. I don't recall the street it was on, but it was like, off the hookah or something like that. The did serve alcohol by the drink, so I complied with the laws as I remembered them, and took out the mag from my pistol, put it in my pocket, so I was unloaded OC'ing while in there. I didn't know if they made more than 50% of their profits with food, or alcohol, couldn't really tell to be honest, but I played it safe. I got a comment about it by a waiter hippy college starving artist type guy, who was very friendly, and I just told him I'm a Law abiding Cit, nothing more, when he asked if I was LEO. I didn't have any bad, wrong probs, and well yea, it was a good place because they didn't seem to care that I was OC'ing, so they still get top marks and my recommendation.

I've OC'd in Lexington many times before, with and without friends accompanying, and each time I do, I always come across a couple people who are just as off the wall as our entire state is, in a good way, and I come across a couple places that just stands out as being really cool places to hang out at; and that's what keeps me going back to Lexington, and why I honestly believe, of the many cities and town's I've lived in, been to, and walked around in, from L.A., to Chicago, to Dayton, and back home to KY, I honestly feel personality wise, and OC wise, that Lexington is my favorite town to explore and carry on in.

In case it's not obvious, this is my detailed OC AAR [After-Action Report], Sorry for going on and on, xD I think that hookah we had wasn't as legal as the waiter swore by, that or that's some strong tobacco xD

Curtis C

the only place i know on your list is off the hookah, and i don't even smoke just remember seeing it a time or two. next time your in lex eat at joe balonas, good italian food.

j.bones

I'll have to give the meadowthorpe cafe a try.. i've drove past it more times than i can count but have never stopped in.. thanks for the little review

j.bones

Drake, do you or any of the other fine folks on here know of a really great cigar shop in Lexington? *LOL*

I know they've opened a Cigar bar here on the north side of Nicholasville withen the past year or so.. it's about 5 minutes south of fayette mall off of Nicholasville Rd. at Brannon Crossing.. though never been in there or have any info on it