• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you NoVA members tracking this one?

1911 Enthusiast

Believe this was the Hooter's shooting accident a couple weeks ago.

Anyone know anything about his attorney?

ChrisBohn.jpg

Bob1

I'd been wondering what came of that incident and had been meaning to call the court to find out the disposition details. Thanks for the case number, I'll try to attend the hearing and report back.

I was going to suggest this thread merely be rolled into the original thread for continuity but can't seem to find it. OCDO search engine has never been the best.

Steeler-gal

I'm betting he has a family/friend connection to the lawyer.

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

unrequited

I'd been wondering what came of that incident and had been meaning to call the court to find out the disposition details. Thanks for the case number, I'll try to attend the hearing and report back.

I was going to suggest this thread merely be rolled into the original thread for continuity but can't seem to find it. OCDO search engine has never been the best.

Deleted thread:
http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?105361-ND-NoVA-Hooters

CHILINVLN archived the post here:
http://pdfcast.org/download/nova-hooters-gun-discharge-incident.pdf

Last edited:

Bob1

Unrequited, one of your links pointed to a black hole and the other to an off-site archive.

So what's the story here? Did VCDL's Executive Member Ed Levine delete the original thread under some ridiculous misconception that removing a theretofore series of civil posts without discussion (he certainly didn't contact me and I was the OP and I see him weekly) would somehow throw the media off the trail of a negligent discharge despite the presence of a local videocast? OTOH, as unrequited just showed, nothing dies on the web...the omnipresent WebCrawlers ensure that.

Heck, even an OCer can have a brain fart and do something dumb. Rather than trying to act like it never happened by attempting to delete all references to the occurrence, we should treat the incident as an open-book teaching tool and use it to reinforce common-sense gun safety. For darn sure not give the antis an opportunity to label us as hypocritical...i.e., perfectly willing to discuss topics which show 2A supporters in a positive light but also perfectly willing to go to extraordinary lengths to hide topics which demonstrate we are just as fallible as any other slice of society.

Am I annoyed? Damn straight!

Actually, I didn't even know Ed was an OCDO admin monitor entrusted with the power of a site delete key.

unrequited

Unrequited, one of your links pointed to a black hole and the other to an off-site archive.
Yup, dunno the back story. I saw it on another forum, did some sleuthing, found links to the deleted thread, and by varying up google search terms, the pdf came up in the results. I don't know why the thread was deleted. I'm just as interested in this embarrassing incident as I am about when OC is non-eventful.

ChinChin

I know in the past, when there were ND's at the Dulles show, there was a push to hush it up as to not put the ability to hold gun shows in the Dulles expo at risk. Given the state of those shows in the last few years and the decline in quality vendors. . .i don't see the loss of that show as a negative.

unrequited

I know in the past, when there were ND's at the Dulles show, there was a push to hush it up as to not put the ability to hold gun shows in the Dulles expo at risk. Given the state of those shows in the last few years and the decline in quality vendors. . .i don't see the loss of that show as a negative.
I haven't gone to a show there since 2007. With budsgunshop, midwayusa, shootersdiscount, sgammo and others, there's sadly no compelling reason to shop local anymore. NoVA Firearms has great service, and I have FFL'ed a bunch through them, but it's so so hard for local shops to competitively price, especially when you add in state sales tax, regardless of FFL fee. Not really on topic, but yeah, I agree, the Chantlily show only serves one purpose, and that's to gain exposure to our hobby to people who aren't already a part of it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

So what's the story here? Did VCDL's Executive Member Ed Levine delete the original thread under some ridiculous misconception that removing a theretofore series of civil posts without discussion (he certainly didn't contact me and I was the OP and I see him weekly) would somehow throw the media off the trail of a negligent discharge despite the presence of a local videocast? OTOH, as unrequited just showed, nothing dies on the web...the omnipresent WebCrawlers ensure that.

Heck, even an OCer can have a brain fart and do something dumb. Rather than trying to act like it never happened by attempting to delete all references to the occurrence, we should treat the incident as an open-book teaching tool and use it to reinforce common-sense gun safety. For darn sure not give the antis an opportunity to label us as hypocritical...i.e., perfectly willing to discuss topics which show 2A supporters in a positive light but also perfectly willing to go to extraordinary lengths to hide topics which demonstrate we are just as fallible as any other slice of society.

Am I annoyed? Damn straight!

Actually, I didn't even know Ed was an OCDO admin monitor entrusted with the power of a site delete key.

:lol:private joke Bob:lol:Ask me in person one day:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

As rediculous as it might be to try and steer this trainwwreck back on course -

Could someone please explain to me how a ND at Hooters is related to the Dulles gunshow?

Yes, I know that the guy went to the gunshow before he went to Hooters, and that any time there is six (or 2, or 378) degrees between any shooting and a gunshow the press is going to blame the gunshow. Just like any shooting within the same county as any school becomes a "school shooting". But that does not mean we should follow their line of - what's the word for the opposite of "reasoning"?

stay safe.

ChinChin

As rediculous as it might be to try and steer this trainwwreck back on course -

Could someone please explain to me how a ND at Hooters is related to the Dulles gunshow?

Yes, I know that the guy went to the gunshow before he went to Hooters, and that any time there is six (or 2, or 378) degrees between any shooting and a gunshow the press is going to blame the gunshow. Just like any shooting within the same county as any school becomes a "school shooting". But that does not mean we should follow their line of - what's the word for the opposite of "reasoning"?

stay safe.

Man went to the GS at Dulles Expo
Man purchased handgun
Man then went to Hooters, located across the commerce park after GS
Man handled firearm in unsafe manner.
Man caused firearm to discharge.
Man inflicted injury to companion at table with said firearm.

I grant you no direct correlation in this instance, but there is undeniable indirect correlation.

I in no way mean to express guilt nor fault of the Dulles Expo center nor the venue which ran the event at the expo center. My comment was meant to highlight the caliber (pardon the pun) of the clientele which I’ve seen frequent the GS in the last few years. This factor in addition to the *constant* disregard to public safety displayed by said clientele (e.g. sweeping of vendors, sweeping of other patrons), coupled with the trend to have at least 1 or 2 ND’s per year related to this particular GS, coupled with the inexplicable and continued attendance of non-firearm vendors (e.g. guys selling coins, guys selling magazines, guys selling artwork of wolves and eagles, guys selling Nazi paraphernalia, guys selling cheap reproduction ninja swords, et al) as well as the low percentage of any true deals too be found as opposed to buying online. . .I intended to highlight how this most recent issue cemented to me, in my own estimation how the negatives outweigh the positives in continuing to support or provide revenue to this venue.

Again, this recent incident (Hooters) occurred outside of the Expo Center and has no *direct* liability to their operation that I am aware of; however given this person came directly from the GS, it tells me that the level of patronage by the apparent “lowest common dominators” is still as prevalent as in previous shows. I do not want to be associated with an organization with such little regard for the safety of their customer base.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Man went to the GS at Dulles Expo
Man purchased handgun
Man then went to Hooters, located across the commerce park after GS
Man handled firearm in unsafe manner.
Man caused firearm to discharge.
Man inflicted injury to companion at table with said firearm.

I grant you no direct correlation in this instance, but there is undeniable indirect correlation.

I in no way mean to express guilt nor fault of the Dulles Expo center nor the venue which ran the event at the expo center. My comment was meant to highlight the caliber (pardon the pun) of the clientele which I’ve seen frequent the GS in the last few years. This factor in addition to the *constant* disregard to public safety displayed by said clientele (e.g. sweeping of vendors, sweeping of other patrons), coupled with the trend to have at least 1 or 2 ND’s per year related to this particular GS, coupled with the inexplicable and continued attendance of non-firearm vendors (e.g. guys selling coins, guys selling magazines, guys selling artwork of wolves and eagles, guys selling Nazi paraphernalia, guys selling cheap reproduction ninja swords, et al) as well as the low percentage of any true deals too be found as opposed to buying online. . .I intended to highlight how this most recent issue cemented to me, in my own estimation how the negatives outweigh the positives in continuing to support or provide revenue to this venue.

Again, this recent incident (Hooters) occurred outside of the Expo Center and has no *direct* liability to their operation that I am aware of; however given this person came directly from the GS, it tells me that the level of patronage by the apparent “lowest common dominators” is still as prevalent as in previous shows. I do not want to be associated with an organization with such little regard for the safety of their customer base.

Keeping the threads straight is difficult sometimes Chin Chin.....but I recall someone mentioning that Hooters filled up with gunshow people. That certainly ties the two together. Apparently this Hooters is/was not anti either (As opposed to some) and I suspect that is in part, because of the increased gunshow business.

I happen to agree about the quality of the shows but that's all over. Even Hillsboro has gone way downhill.

I'm not sure one idiot with a new gun is indicative of the whole organization or all the patrons. But then again, one or two ND's a year is bad.