• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does OC make you a target?

SteveH2210

This is my first post on this forum. I am finding it quite informative.

I am curious about what people think of the idea that Open carry might make you a target? For example, a bad guy comes into a store with the intent to rob it, sees your gun, and therefore shoots you first. Or, even better, a James Holmes wannabe sees you are armed and therefore takes you out first before moving on to unarmed people...

Thanks,

Steve

Bellum_Intus

I am curious about what people think of the idea that Open carry might make you a target? For example, a bad guy comes into a store with the intent to rob it, sees your gun, and therefore shoots you first. Or, even better, a James Holmes wannabe sees you are armed and therefore takes you out first before moving on to unarmed people...

Thanks,

Steve

Bad guy comes into store to rob it, he sees the barrel of my firearm before he even gets the chance to react...
(of course, as most here know, I train almost daily)

--Rob

PikesPeakMtnMan

Most people (criminals included) are so focused on going about their business that they don't even notice that people have a gun on their hip. A liquor store on Colorado Springs' west side was robbed a couple days ago and both robbers ended up in the hospital with gunshot wounds administered by the clerks. Had the robbers taken even a COUPLE SECONDS to look around when they walked in they would have seen that the employees there OC...but the robbers likely walked in and rushed to the counter flashing their guns and demanding money, which obviously didn't turn out well for them.

If OC made people such a target then we would never see cops OC...and they deal with lowlifes and scum on a daily basis, people who absolutely do NOT want to deal with police.

I personally don't OC much because I'm not much of a people person and I don't want to be interrupted with questions about whether or not I'm LEO or what I'm carrying...I just want to get my business done and get back home. But when I do OC, I have had ZERO issues.

Edit to add: If you read some of the threads here (or for most of the other states) about OC outings you'll see this phrase occur frequently "nobody reacted, if they even noticed in the first place"

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

Most people (criminals included) are so focused on going about their business that they don't even notice that people have a gun on their hip. A liquor store on Colorado Springs' west side was robbed a couple days ago and both robbers ended up in the hospital with gunshot wounds administered by the clerks. Had the robbers taken even a COUPLE SECONDS to look around when they walked in they would have seen that the employees there OC...but the robbers likely walked in and rushed to the counter flashing their guns and demanding money, which obviously didn't turn out well for them.

If OC made people such a target then we would never see cops OC...and they deal with lowlifes and scum on a daily basis, people who absolutely do NOT want to deal with police.

Id haveto agree, Most people i pass day to day dont even notice, now amplify that "tunnel vision" by adrenaline from them about to rob somebody and i really dont think they have enough state of mind to run in and look around first, or even think, remember criminals are mostly not the thinking type, at least not most that will just run in and rob somebody. But then theres things like the recent event where a OC'er was shot with his own weapon, which hasto be looked at as a single case, which i dont have all the information on so i wont comment on what i think may have happened untill i know more.

But it almost seems like he was "Stalked" by the attacker for a weapon because he didnt have one himself and saw that was a "open target." which is more likely than a robber running in and targeting you first, both are real threats that we must always be aware of. Im more worried that some of us may be "stalked" for our weapons by unarmed criminals wanting to take our weapon, and must always be aware of our surroundings for that reason. Might feel weird, or almost like your makeing yourself look suspicious looking about every few seconds or watching your own back, but remember it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks as long as you and your family are safe at all times. just my thoughts.

Saxxon

Most robbers, if they see someone in the store has a gun - will elect to go somewhere else or wait till later. They are after money, not a gunfight. Same with rapists & other personal/property crime perps.

Random crazy like Holmes, sure they might just continue on with their conduct and maybe shoot you first, if they noticed you had a gun. There are a small minority of robbers that are also in the crazy department who will get into a gunfight because their real business is mayhem and robbery is just a means of financing it.

Being in condition yellow will help you avoid being the victim as these type of people travel with a literal aura of crazy about them, they'll make your hair stand on end and when it does you'd best be paying attention. Its the 1% of the 1%ers though. In Holmes case I doubt he had the stones to actually be in a gunfight, he just wanted victims.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
First things first: Anything offered to a generality must, perforce, be generalized in response. There will always be exceptions to any given generality.
That being said, let's consider the following:

Bad guys ain't looking to be dead hero types. They'd much rather be live cowards.

Bad guys tend to be cowardly. They don't hold up well when confronted.

Bad guys don't want to be shot, they want to do a little miscreancy, and will tend to go after an easy mark.

Your open carrying presence in a potential crime scene means you might give them trouble they don't want or need.

Your open carrying presence is confusing, because they might think you're a cop. It also may cause them to believe you have advanced training.

Bad guys seldom have any training, let alone advanced training.

Cop killers tend to get the harshest treatment in court, so they really don't much care to tangle with a cop.

If they see you walking around with an openly carried handgun, it will cause them to wonder how many concealed carry guns might also be present.

Bad guys who see your open carried handgun may decide it lends an element of peril to their nefarious plans they do not wish to chance. The odds, if they are capable of figuring odds, strongly suggest they may be hurt badly or killed in a gunfight. They ain't looking for a gunfight, they're looking for easy pickin's.

The same logic applies to gun free zones. They are crime scenes precisely because bad guys know they aren't likely to encounter resistance.
Your open carried handgun suggests a very powerful element of resistence.
One where odds are far too great they will lose.

The result of such reflection is, they'll go away and seek a softer target.
Or perhaps, reconsider their intention to perform miscreancy altogether.

The Aurora theater shooter did not wish to be shot. Hence, he wore tac gear. Once outside, confronted with guns pointed at him, he surrendered.
Had somebody put a round or several back in his direction, he'd likely have given up the attack. He clearly did not wish to be shot, hence the tac gear.

Claims that open carry makes one a target assumes a variable that is likely not in play: A level of awareness by the carrier that he makes himself a target whether he is armed or not. Situational awareness should always be operational with 360 focus. Victims often say "I never saw him coming" because they do not use much situational awareness. A citizen is much more likely to become a victim when focused on texting than openly carrying a sidearm.

Make eye contact with everyone in your vicinity. Let them know you see them. This is especially true when in an area that has potential as a target.
somebody walks into a convenience store where you are shopping, and you are aware of their arrival because your situational awareness is 'switched on'.
You make eye contact with the new arrival, and they know you've seen them (potential witness in their prosecution).
They spot your handgun. They know you've seen them come in.
You have the ability to defend against miscreancy.
You may be an LEO, for all they know.
You have an aura of confidence, while they may be nervous.
They may have a gun, but lack confidence born of practice and training.
They also do not know how many other guns may be at the location.
Guns that will be turned on them should they engage.
The more of these elements are in evidence, the less the odds seem to be in their favor.

With any luck, the simple act of seeing an armed carrier may dissuade them from doing this particular crime,
and may even result in their making a different career decision.

The open carrier sends a message.... Do not try it here!

As a generality, they won't!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

But it almost seems like he was "Stalked" by the attacker for a weapon because he didnt have one himself and saw that was a "open target." which is more likely than a robber running in and targeting you first, both are real threats that we must always be aware of. Im more worried that some of us may be "stalked" for our weapons by unarmed criminals wanting to take our weapon, and must always be aware of our surroundings for that reason. Might feel weird, or almost like your makeing yourself look suspicious looking about every few seconds or watching your own back, but remember it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks as long as you and your family are safe at all times. just my thoughts.
I always know whats going on around me. I have great situational awareness and I would know if I'm being stalked. It's happened before, and I made eye contact with them to let them know I'm watching them. There were 2 guys at Walmart following me, looking and pointing at my sidearm and chatting with each other about it. I could just tell they were harmless and just curious and it was probably their first time seeing an OCer, just like I did when I saw my very first OCer up in Georgetown a few years back and stared at his sidearm (which gave me the idea to start OCing). Those guys followed me from aisle to aisle pointing and talking, but they stopped once they saw I was getting a bit concerned and I kept my distance. Looking back at it, I should have at least stopped and said hello to them to start a conversation. Now if I'm being stalked in a bad way, like they want my gun, I will let them know I'm watching them and I'll probably come up with a tactic to bust them. I can discreetly get the police called and until they get there, I will keep a wary eye on them and pretend I'm just going on with my own business. One of my tactics could be to go to customer service and request a store credit card. On the application, I will write down what is going on, that I'm being stalked and to quitely call the cops. The thugs will just think I'm doing normal business and wait for me. When the police show up, and it turns out they were indeed pure thugs and get arrested, then I did my job and got them off the streets. Now, most shady people will think that someone OCing a sidearm is not someone to be messed with and they will move on. The Richmond case is a rare one, and the guy let his guard down. Keens

Hamans-gallows

Thanks,

Steve

Try reading this:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Freiheit417

Id haveto agree, Most people i pass day to day dont even notice, now amplify that "tunnel vision" by adrenaline from them about to rob somebody and i really dont think they have enough state of mind to run in and look around first, or even think...

Tunnel vision indeed. I've posted this video before, but it illustrates LoneEchoWolf's point well. The criminal robbed the store while standing right next to a police officer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-wfOo36qY&feature=related

Fallschirjmäger

Wearing a firearm openly might make you a target.
Looking weak and vulnerable can make you a target.
Looking wealthy and wearing nice clothes can make you a target.
Driving a nice car can make you a target.
Being the biggest guy in the bar can make you a target (or so I've heard from tall strong friends)
So can being the second-biggest guy in the bar.
Carrying items in both hands might make you a target.

... which ones of the above might also discourage you from being a target?

M-Taliesin

Being the biggest guy in the bar can make you a target (or so I've heard from tall strong friends)

Howdy Amigo!
You neglected to mention wearing a real expensive hat. That'll surely make one a target!

Or worse, running around wearing a uniform from your job at the Target store when off the clock.
That'll definately do it!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Thanks,

Steve

Both of those have been well covered, been beaten to death on this forum.

Neither has ever happened to LAC in modern times anywhere in the United States - there have been many attempts to cite, all have failed.

SteveH2210

Point taken.

cgutierrez0688

So would it be better to OC with a round in the chamber and ready to fire, or not ready just in case some thug decides to try to take it from me?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So would it be better to OC with a round in the chamber and ready to fire, or not ready just in case some thug decides to try to take it from me?

A handgun not fully loaded and charged is just an expensive paper weight.

You should factor in situational awareness and retention.

What is this "just in case some thug decides to try to take it from me" thing about? Why further promote urban myths?

cgutierrez0688

I guess I'm just still not comfortable yet OCing, and I've never seen anyone OC anyplace I've been. I guess I just need to get more practice in till I'm fully confident in my actions.