Thread: Had enough gun violence? Time for 28th Amendment

Angry Had enough gun violence? Time for 28th Amendment

Had enough gun violence? Time for 28th Amendment

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/op...amendment.html

Stuff like this sucks...

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Mr. McGrath,

Thank you for your intense "call to arms" (pun intended) for " American citizens...to take matters into their own hands by proposing a 28th Amendment to the Constitution that would alter, if not abolish, the Second Amendment."

Is it so good to see progressive thinking leftist persons like yourself tell the American people want you really want to see happen in America. That you're goal is not token laws and regulations that don't accomplish anything substantial.

Thank you for not sugar coating your intent, but clearly and concisely presenting your true desire to completely abolish the II amendment to our sacred Bill of Rights, and steal every fire arm from every American.

An important step to the complete enslavement of the American people by their government is, of course, to first disarm them.

Thank you for sending such a clear and alarming rallying cry for Americans to band together in spite of our small differences to stand against such absurd, ignorant, unthinkable actions such as the one you purpose.

Sincerely,
    Pleased Reader
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    I don't think I'll see this on my ballot box this fall. And police organizations threaten US every day ... more money or we'll slow down, better benefits or we'll slow down, no guns (except for us) or we'll quit working.

Police will never quit working; they would find out that people will learn that they are not needed. Whaaat? We can't have that. We can police ourselves just fine.

Gov't should just issue 2 guns (1 rifle/1 handgun) to every citizen ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I don't think I'll see this on my ballot box this fall. And police organizations threaten US every day ... more money or we'll slow down, better benefits or we'll slow down, no guns (except for us) or we'll quit working.

Police will never quit working; they would find out that people will learn that they are not needed. Whaaat? We can't have that. We can police ourselves just fine.

Gov't should just issue 2 guns (1 rifle/1 handgun) to every citizen ...
    Dont forget some ammo too.
    Clerk: Is that a weapon?
    Me: No, it is my tool.
    Clerk:
    Me: A tool that takes some time to master!
    Clerk:
    Me: Have a nice day!

How about the 28th amendment repeals cruel and unusual punishment for violent offenders that abuse 2a right in the furtherance of murder. And should in no uncertain terms define the death penalty as not c&u , including minors.

How about this

Amendment 28:

All laws and regulations passed by congress or by executive order after 12/31/1899 and the date of ratification of this amendment are null and void.

They cringed when states from Florida to Colorado were turned into the OK Corral with stand-your-ground laws that essentially make it legal for any gunman, including a felon, to shoot an unarmed victim and claim self-defense.
    I didn't know felons were allowed to possess a firearm. When did the evil NRA lobby to get that changed?.....I hate people like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine
    I didn't know felons were allowed to possess a firearm. When did the evil NRA lobby to get that changed?
    I don't know if it's federal law, or only in some states, but there is something like an "exigent circumstances" clause to allow (legally) felon in possession.

I remember reading a court decision on an appeal of a FIP charge, where the court ruled that the man's brief possession of a firearm as unknown people (who turned out to be police) were breaking into the house he was visiting was reasonable & he didn't break the law.

Once he saw who it was, he set the gun down & assumed the position.
    But the court said it was legal & reasonable for him to respond to an apparent home invasion by taking up arms, as long as the possession was brief & for that purpose.
    Notice also that he did not own or possess the gun other than those few seconds. It belonged to the relative he was visiting.

He was still arrested & had the expense & hassle of defending himself in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I was trying really hard not to respond to his increasingly idiotic assertions, but this I couldn't ignore:
    They watched as the NRA turned each state into a de facto Dodge City, eliminating gun registration and giving every civilian the chance to carry a concealed handgun.
    Except that none of that is true.
    Some states still have registration, and there's one state (IL) + at least 1 federal territory (DC) where there's not even a legal fiction that citizens [most of whom are civilians, even the ones employed as LEO] are allowed to carry.
    Then there are the several states where it's next to impossible for a citizen to legally carry (such as Hawaii).

The United States is the most violent country in the civilized world.
    Guess he doesn't consider England, Australia, or Russia 'civilized'.
    I've left a string of comments, mostly quotes from research, showing that his statement is complete & utter fertilizer.

David McGrath, a former resident of Evergreen Park and Oak Forest, is among the 90 percent of U.S. gun owners electing not to join the NRA. He can be reached at mcgrathd@dupage.edu
    Except that there isn't a "dupage.edu" site.
    The college is at http://www.cod.edu/ and apparently he used to be an English prof there.
    If his current reasoning & research abilities are any indication of his teaching ability, I feel sorry for his students.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I don't know if it's federal law, or only in some states, but there is something like an "exigent circumstances" clause to allow (legally) felon in possession.

I remember reading a court decision on an appeal of a FIP charge, where the court ruled that the man's brief possession of a firearm as unknown people (who turned out to be police) were breaking into the house he was visiting was reasonable & he didn't break the law.

But the court said it was legal & reasonable for him to respond to an apparent home invasion by taking up arms, as long as the possession was brief & for that purpose.
    Notice also that he did not own or possess the gun other than those few seconds. It belonged to the relative he was visiting.

I stand corrected. I have heard about loopholes like that. Which in most cases I'm fine with. To think you're life is in danger and the best weapon to use is illegal to posses...I'd reach for that gun. But I do doubt the author was talking about a scenario such as this...

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    I stand corrected. I have heard about loopholes like that. Which in most cases I'm fine with. To think you're life is in danger and the best weapon to use is illegal to posses...I'd reach for that gun. But I do doubt the author was talking about a scenario such as this...

If they didn't commit a violent felony then why should any felon be denied their rights as American citizens? We need to SEVERELY punish violent felons, and we need to treat the non-violent ones. Over 60% of felony convictions are for drug abuse, and we are destroying these people's lives for making a mistake (normally when they are young and impressionable). They will remain on drugs if they are not treated to get off of them, so we are doing nothing but raising deficits and incarceration rates. Violent felons once convicted should never see the light of day again (when you decide to harm Human life you lose your rights), but these days the "Justice" System gives more time to drug offenders than they do to violent people determined to cause harm to Human life; seems a bit backwards huh?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasjayhawk View Post
    Amendment 28:

All laws and regulations passed by congress or by executive order after 12/31/1899 and the date of ratification of this amendment are null and void.
    That's one I would support wholeheartedly. Might actually move this nation in the direction of more Freedom.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post

Not sure all the aspects apply, but here is a case that shows that felons do not lose the right of self defense. http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinio...wp/1982002.pdf

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The ironic thing about "common sense gun control" is that many gun owners support such legislation thinking that the government will never come for their guns, only the "bad ones", without ever realizing that gun grabbers think all guns are "bad". look at England as a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    If they didn't commit a violent felony then why should any felon be denied their rights as American citizens?
    +1. While I don't have a felony record, or any record for that matter, I fully support the restoration of an ex-felons rights upon full conclusion of their debt.