• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had enough gun violence? Time for 28th Amendment

twoskinsonemanns

Mr. McGrath,

Thank you for your intense "call to arms" (pun intended) for " American citizens...to take matters into their own hands by proposing a 28th Amendment to the Constitution that would alter, if not abolish, the Second Amendment."

Is it so good to see progressive thinking leftist persons like yourself tell the American people want you really want to see happen in America. That you're goal is not token laws and regulations that don't accomplish anything substantial.

Thank you for not sugar coating your intent, but clearly and concisely presenting your true desire to completely abolish the II amendment to our sacred Bill of Rights, and steal every fire arm from every American.

An important step to the complete enslavement of the American people by their government is, of course, to first disarm them.

Thank you for sending such a clear and alarming rallying cry for Americans to band together in spite of our small differences to stand against such absurd, ignorant, unthinkable actions such as the one you purpose.

Sincerely,
Pleased Reader

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think I'll see this on my ballot box this fall. And police organizations threaten US every day ... more money or we'll slow down, better benefits or we'll slow down, no guns (except for us) or we'll quit working.

Police will never quit working; they would find out that people will learn that they are not needed. Whaaat? We can't have that. We can police ourselves just fine.

Gov't should just issue 2 guns (1 rifle/1 handgun) to every citizen ...

DeltaOps

I don't think I'll see this on my ballot box this fall. And police organizations threaten US every day ... more money or we'll slow down, better benefits or we'll slow down, no guns (except for us) or we'll quit working.

Police will never quit working; they would find out that people will learn that they are not needed. Whaaat? We can't have that. We can police ourselves just fine.

Gov't should just issue 2 guns (1 rifle/1 handgun) to every citizen ...

Dont forget some ammo too.

lockman

State Researcher
How about the 28th amendment repeals cruel and unusual punishment for violent offenders that abuse 2a right in the furtherance of murder. And should in no uncertain terms define the death penalty as not c&u , including minors.

Lasjayhawk

How about this

Amendment 28:

All laws and regulations passed by congress or by executive order after 12/31/1899 and the date of ratification of this amendment are null and void.

CCinMaine

They cringed when states from Florida to Colorado were turned into the OK Corral with stand-your-ground laws that essentially make it legal for any gunman, including a felon, to shoot an unarmed victim and claim self-defense.

I didn't know felons were allowed to possess a firearm. When did the evil NRA lobby to get that changed?.....I hate people like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

MKEgal

CCinMaine said:
I didn't know felons were allowed to possess a firearm. When did the evil NRA lobby to get that changed?
I don't know if it's federal law, or only in some states, but there is something like an "exigent circumstances" clause to allow (legally) felon in possession.

I remember reading a court decision on an appeal of a FIP charge, where the court ruled that the man's brief possession of a firearm as unknown people (who turned out to be police) were breaking into the house he was visiting was reasonable & he didn't break the law.

Once he saw who it was, he set the gun down & assumed the position.
But the court said it was legal & reasonable for him to respond to an apparent home invasion by taking up arms, as long as the possession was brief & for that purpose.
Notice also that he did not own or possess the gun other than those few seconds. It belonged to the relative he was visiting.

He was still arrested & had the expense & hassle of defending himself in court. :mad:

MKEgal

I was trying really hard not to respond to his increasingly idiotic assertions, but this I couldn't ignore:
They watched as the NRA turned each state into a de facto Dodge City, eliminating gun registration and giving every civilian the chance to carry a concealed handgun.
Except that none of that is true.
Some states still have registration, and there's one state (IL) + at least 1 federal territory (DC) where there's not even a legal fiction that citizens [most of whom are civilians, even the ones employed as LEO] are allowed to carry.
Then there are the several states where it's next to impossible for a citizen to legally carry (such as Hawaii).

The United States is the most violent country in the civilized world.
Guess he doesn't consider England, Australia, or Russia 'civilized'.
I've left a string of comments, mostly quotes from research, showing that his statement is complete & utter fertilizer.

David McGrath, a former resident of Evergreen Park and Oak Forest, is among the 90 percent of U.S. gun owners electing not to join the NRA. He can be reached at mcgrathd@dupage.edu
Except that there isn't a "dupage.edu" site.
The college is at http://www.cod.edu/ and apparently he used to be an English prof there.
If his current reasoning & research abilities are any indication of his teaching ability, I feel sorry for his students.

CCinMaine

I don't know if it's federal law, or only in some states, but there is something like an "exigent circumstances" clause to allow (legally) felon in possession.

I remember reading a court decision on an appeal of a FIP charge, where the court ruled that the man's brief possession of a firearm as unknown people (who turned out to be police) were breaking into the house he was visiting was reasonable & he didn't break the law.

But the court said it was legal & reasonable for him to respond to an apparent home invasion by taking up arms, as long as the possession was brief & for that purpose.
Notice also that he did not own or possess the gun other than those few seconds. It belonged to the relative he was visiting.

He was still arrested & had the expense & hassle of defending himself in court. :mad:

I stand corrected. I have heard about loopholes like that. Which in most cases I'm fine with. To think you're life is in danger and the best weapon to use is illegal to posses...I'd reach for that gun. But I do doubt the author was talking about a scenario such as this...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I stand corrected. I have heard about loopholes like that. Which in most cases I'm fine with. To think you're life is in danger and the best weapon to use is illegal to posses...I'd reach for that gun. But I do doubt the author was talking about a scenario such as this...

If they didn't commit a violent felony then why should any felon be denied their rights as American citizens? We need to SEVERELY punish violent felons, and we need to treat the non-violent ones. Over 60% of felony convictions are for drug abuse, and we are destroying these people's lives for making a mistake (normally when they are young and impressionable). They will remain on drugs if they are not treated to get off of them, so we are doing nothing but raising deficits and incarceration rates. Violent felons once convicted should never see the light of day again (when you decide to harm Human life you lose your rights), but these days the "Justice" System gives more time to drug offenders than they do to violent people determined to cause harm to Human life; seems a bit backwards huh?

Freedom First

Amendment 28:

All laws and regulations passed by congress or by executive order after 12/31/1899 and the date of ratification of this amendment are null and void.

That's one I would support wholeheartedly. Might actually move this nation in the direction of more Freedom.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Not sure all the aspects apply, but here is a case that shows that felons do not lose the right of self defense. http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavwp/1982002.pdf

stay safe.

unreconstructed1

The ironic thing about "common sense gun control" is that many gun owners support such legislation thinking that the government will never come for their guns, only the "bad ones", without ever realizing that gun grabbers think all guns are "bad". look at England as a prime example.

If they didn't commit a violent felony then why should any felon be denied their rights as American citizens?

+1. While I don't have a felony record, or any record for that matter, I fully support the restoration of an ex-felons rights upon full conclusion of their debt.