• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SIRT laser training pistol

REALteach4u

I finally have one of the Shot Indicating Resetting Trigger (SIRT) pistols built by Top Shot Season 3 runnerup Mike Hughes in-hand! I have this one for 30 days for T&E.

The version that is currently in production is based on a Glock (M&P version is on the R&D blocks), an AR bolt is also available. The version that Next Level Training sent me was the SIRT Pro that has the red trigger take-up laser and the green trigger break laser as well as a metal top cover. The user can adjust the trigger 6 different ways to tune it to their preference. The metal top version is difficult to disassemble without a punch and an armorer's tap hammer. Tuning the trigger and inverting the red/green to green/red are easy once it's disassembled.

The SIRT comes with a training magazine that is designed to mimic a fully loaded Glock magazine and it can be tuned to a specific round count and balance point to simulate the proper weight and balance of a specific number of rounds. The product is completely inert, though it will accept factory Glock magazines. This is so you can work empty mag to fully loaded mag drills without any ammo present. Everything that fits the Glock will fit the SIRT as far as holsters and rail accessories go.

FYI: If everything goes according to plan, Mike Hughes will be calling in on Matt Canovi's The Gun Show on KSGF radio (104.1 Springfield) on 8/25/12 from 7am-9am (likely will be during the first hour). We will be conducting a radio show review of the product and have invited Hughes to call the show to discuss the product.

I've personally been running the SIRT Pro through its paces and I'm impressed so far; so much so that I cannot wait to get the red/red student version and the AR bolt in my hand. I hope to have those before the 25th so I can ask about those as well on the show.

If you're in the Springfield area and would like a chance to get your mitts on the SIRT Pro, drop me a PM with your contact information and I'll set up a day and time to let you check it out.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

Sweet! My student version arrived today as did the AR bolt. Sadly, I think I may have a damaged AR bolt so it's going back on Monday. I should have time this weekend to finally get some video work done with the Student and the Pro. I'll get some side-by-side pictures of them as well. The finish is notably different and the weight is slightly different, but other than that and the lasers being all red on the student they're identical.

I'm in love with the SIRT pistol so far as an alternative training tool. Mike suggests to use it to augment your live fire, but I have a unique need and use for it.

If anyone is interested, Mike Hughes (Top Shot Season 3 Runner-up) will be calling in on Matt Canovi's radio show on Saturday the 25th of August, 7:20am roughly is call-in time.
www.ksgf.com live on the web and for podcast if you miss the show
104.1 if you're in the Springfield area and can catch it from 7am-9am
Call in line: 417-447-5743 if anyone wants to call the show (not just for this one, any show)

We'll be covering the SIRT on Saturday which is why Mike is calling.

Last edited:

REALteach4u

What is the point of a SIRT pistol and why is it sooooo expensive?

Thanks.

A great pair of questions!

The SIRT gives you the ability to incorporate dry-fire practice with a visual indicator of your fundamentals and shot placement it you're using the single laser. If you use the dual laser it can serve a pair of purposes. The first is it can be used to train how to transition between multiple targets off of the trigger's reset rather than a fully released trigger. (think comfort levels folks) The second is that it can be a tell-all if a student has bad habits putting their finger in the trigger guard when they're clearly not ready to. (think safety on this one) It's meant to be a high-repetition, high-value dry fire product. To me, this is like buying an Advantage Arms 22 kit for my Glock in that once I have the product it's cheap to shoot, in the case of the SIRT it's the life of a CR123 battery and it's eventual replacement to shoot it.

Mike Hughes says it is not intended to replace live fire, but rather to be incorporated with your live fire practice to hone in your skills. That said, I have a particular market and unique use for the SIRT with my business since the location I teach in (inside a client's home) wouldn't be a safe location for live fire. This means that I would need dry fire alternatives, including those with emphasis on either the visual cue with something like the SIRT or the pain-response that airsoft products provide.

The product isn't cheap, which is why I opted for the SIRT Performer (their student package). One-off molds needed to be made for the polymer frames and the polymer slides. The Pro series has a metal slide and that required machining. There are two different laser options: red/red and red/green (invertible). The dual laser capability is an obvious price point, factor in those with the green and it starts to add up. Then there's the one-off 6 position adjustable trigger. All of these one-off concepts require funding for R&D as well as funding to bring them to market.

Now Mike doesn't stop there. Next Level Training rolls things into other products. Currently there's the following listed low to high on price: The AR Bolt, the SIRT Performer, SIRT Performer Pro, and the SIRT PRO. There is a SIRT on the M&P platform coming, a rackable slide Glock 19 SIRT coming, and hopefully they can get permission to build on the XD platform as well.

That said, if you would like a small discount on one you can use the following code to get 10% off: CANOVI
Mike set this up as part of being on Matt Canovi's radio show on 8/25. You can listen to the podcast to verify that it's legit. If for some reason the code will not work, contact Ryan Higgenbotham at Next Level Training, reference the radio show code that Mike Hughes mentioned, and ask him to apply the 10% discount.

Last edited: