Thread: Nitpicking old bugger

Nitpicking old bugger

Folks, I don't often criticize other folks' grammar or spelling as I well know that mine is far from perfect. But please consider some things when posting so that you won't look ignorant or poorly educated. Also, these are things that spell check will not usually catch.

1. Loose - not tight. As in, "My belt is too loose."
    2. Lose - misplace or get rid off. As in, "I need to lose weight."
    3. Your - possessive form of "you". As in, "Is that your car?"
    4. You're - contraction of "You are". As in, "You're going to shoot next?"
    5. Their - possessive form of "they" As in, "That is their right."
    6. There - denoting a location. As in, "It's right there."

I know these are minor things, but I also try to look at our forum and the individual posts as our opposition does. Going on that premise, can you see how they would seize on these minor things to discredit gun owners in general and our group in particular?

Feel free to flame. I just bought asbestos underwear!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Going on that premise, can you see how they would seize on these minor things to discredit gun owners in general and our group in particular?
    Gun owners are supposedly just like everyone else in the US? Not gods among men? That is surprising to me. I held us to such high regard.

No one has perfect spelling/grammar, it isn't wrong to think that informal forum posts will have some flaw in spelling, grammar or structure. Unless we use multiple peer checking that will never completely disappear.

Check facebook, twitter, and every other internet based forum. I would say that we are most likely in the top 10% in spelling/grammar second only to most academia based forums.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Good on ya SFCRetired! I agree 100%.
    I often stop reading and click to something else when bad grammar and spelling indicate the poster has not even proofed his attempt to communicate.

Banned
    Folks, I don't often criticize other folks' grammar or spelling as I well know that mine is far from perfect. But please consider some things when posting so that you won't look ignorant or poorly educated...
    Or L-A-Z-Y .... hey, folks can just say "eh, they'll figure it out" ...

I refuse to attack grammar during a discussion--it's a waste of time, and what's the point?; it's not as if I am any better at making sure to: cross the I's, and dot the T's.--a side note: if I read what a person has posted, and it makes sense, but is racked with errors abound, I have no person to blame but myself, that I am capable of understanding said atrocities.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I refuse to attack grammar during a discussion--it's a waste of time, and what's the point?; it's not as if I am any better at making sure to: cross the I's, and dot the T's.
    I don't think he, like most is "attacking" grammar. When I point out problems with spelling/grammar/punctuation/structure, even in a heated debate, it is a side note to help the rest of us to understand his/her point.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I don't think he, like most is "attacking" grammar. When I point out problems with spelling/grammar/punctuation/structure, even in a heated debate, it is a side note to help the rest of us to understand his/her point.
    I realize what he's getting at. The difficult thing about online interaction is you don't know who you are dealing with.

An example: I received an e-mail from a person, that is now a friend, and their email was atrocious...I got the gist of what they were saying, though. Well, apparently, they were born deaf. Apparently, in the deaf community, there is a language of its own, for many reasons: Social, Education, lacking the ability to hear--to phonetically understand the sounds of the words.--it's almost like expecting a person who is blind to express themselves in color, when they have never seen color. The verbalization of language, and the hearing of language is an important key to the efficient, and effective exercise of language between individuals.

I suppose what I am stating is that there are individuals out there, for whatever reason, have great, and sometime insurmountable struggles with writing, and speech. We ought not be so quick to jump at their posts because we assume the individual is being lazy.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-11-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    Good on ya SFCRetired! I agree 100%.
    I often stop reading and click to something else when bad grammar and spelling indicate the poster has not even proofed his attempt to communicate.
    That honestly sounds like a personal problem.

@SFCRetired: When I was younger and in school, I really struggled with spelling and grammar. I blame the antiquated school system. But that's another discussion for another time. Nah, what I'm trying to get at here, is that it was people like you. People that offered truly helpful advice, rather than just trying to be condescending that has allowed me to improve my grammar skills. It was mostly spell check that's helped me with my spelling.

Just for what it's worth.

Folks, honestly, I was not attacking anyone's grammar or spelling skills. And I am well aware that there are individuals in our community that have problems with both written language and spoken language. There are members of my family who have great difficulty with the English language and that tends to make me much more aware of the language.

FWIW, those members of my family are not native English-speakers. Their native language is Chinese and include my wife, one son, and one daughter.

@Jack House: Thank you, sir. I had the same problems with mathematics way back in the Dark Ages when I was in school. I had hoped that what I wrote would be taken in the vein in which you took it; a desire to be helpful rather than either critical or condescending.
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Folks, honestly, I was not attacking anyone's grammar or spelling skills. And I am well aware that there are individuals in our community that have problems with both written language and spoken language. There are members of my family who have great difficulty with the English language and that tends to make me much more aware of the language.

FWIW, those members of my family are not native English-speakers. Their native language is Chinese and include my wife, one son, and one daughter.

@Jack House: Thank you, sir. I had the same problems with mathematics way back in the Dark Ages when I was in school. I had hoped that what I wrote would be taken in the vein in which you took it; a desire to be helpful rather than either critical or condescending.
    I didn't think you were attacking anyone. I get what you were stating.

Folks, I don't often criticize other folks' grammar or spelling as I well know that mine is far from perfect. But please consider some things when posting so that you won't look ignorant or poorly educated. Also, these are things that spell check will not usually catch.

1. Loose - not tight. As in, "My belt is too loose."
    2. Lose - misplace or get rid off. As in, "I need to lose weight."
    3. Your - possessive form of "you". As in, "Is that your car?"
    4. You're - contraction of "You are". As in, "You're going to shoot next?"
    5. Their - possessive form of "they" As in, "That is their right."
    6. There - denoting a location. As in, "It's right there."

I know these are minor things, but I also try to look at our forum and the individual posts as our opposition does. Going on that premise, can you see how they would seize on these minor things to discredit gun owners in general and our group in particular?

Feel free to flame. I just bought asbestos underwear!
    Do they itch?

"I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Do they itch?

Never said I put them on!! But if I did, judging from my experiences with both asbestos and fiberglass back in my shipyard days, yes, they would!!

Me to hate win your tryin to help someone wit they're wordz and them don't not pay attenshun wit there brain. Its enuf to make you loose you're mind!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Me to hate win your tryin to help someone wit they're wordz and them don't not pay attenshun wit there brain. Its enuf to make you loose you're mind!
    Why, oh, why is there not a hair-pulling smiley when you need one? The head against the brick wall doesn't quite express it!

Smart alecky young'uns!!

It taked me tree tryz 2 unnerstan wut u rote thar.

Seriously.

Why, oh, why is there not a hair-pulling smiley when you need one? The head against the brick wall doesn't quite express it!

Smart alecky young'uns!!

Well...when you stir the pot, you generally get fumes from it!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

You hate it when you help someone and they pay attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    You hate it when you help someone and they pay attention?
    Haha, I did use the double negative intentionally to see if anyone caught it. Congrats, you win!

Haha, I did use the double negative intentionally to see if anyone caught it. Congrats, you win!
    WOOT! Now give me a cookie! Preferably peanut butter, with peanut butter in the middle. Or a nice double chocolate chip.