• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Taylorsville Lake Park - prohibited??

esperman

Went hiking with the kids today at Taylorsville State Park. Noticed they had listed fire arms & ammo prohibited, except for the range. This makes little sense to me...I realize the Army Corp of Engineers runs the dam ect ect, but I see this as a violation of the Common Wealth 2A. Also, because there is a range on the park...this makes no sense to me.

I plan on emailing the Park Manager -
LRL-Pagemaster-UKT@usace.army.mil

Thoughts?

Last edited:

09jisaac

Thought? If it is corps property then it is legal and we need to get it changed so we can carry. If it completely state property then I don't THINK it is allowed. I THINK you can legally carry into state parks. I don't really know though, so don't take this as legal advice.

aadvark

The Common-Wealth of Kentucky Preempts The Regulation of Firearms under Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870.

The Federal Congress is Expected to Vote soon on The Inconsistency between Federal Park Carry and Carry on Corps of Engineer Property.

DrakeZ07

The Commonwealth of Kentucky Preempts The Regulation of Firearms under Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870.

The Federal Congress is Expected to Vote soon on The Inconsistency between Federal Park Carry and Carry on Corps of Engineer Property.

Fixed; 'Commonwealth' is one word;capitalized. - Not even going to fix your capitalization of every noun... that's a stick and a dead horse.

Until such time as either the Congress, or the Supreme Court makes haste in its judgement and capacity, to fix the massive loop holes; Federal code/law or the lack thereof, trumps anything the State can write up, including preemption.

esperman

"Listed" where? What do you mean by "listed"? Was there a sign, brochure, reservation agreement, policy statement, rulebook or what? If a sign, what did the sign say? Did the sign say who put it up? Where was the sign? Did you get a picture of the sign? I don't think that email address will get to the Park Manager. The Taylorsville Lake State Park website lists the Park Manager as: Sam Devine, Email:taylorsvillelake@ky.gov. I can assure you, positively, the Commonwealth of Ky. does not restrict the carry of firearms in state parks. I can also assure you that the Corps of Engineers does prohibit firearms on any property it controls. It depends on who controls the property you are talking about and you have given us no information on where that property is, except near Taylorsville Lake. I suspect you were on COE property.

I clearly stated We hiked along the trails inside Taylorsville Lake State Park. The parks informational brochure listed the State Park rules, map, etc, and stated the entire State park is managed by army corps of engineers. So my question is can they trump oc if they manage park. This makes little sense to me, as they also offer a gun range inside the park itself.

The on site info clearly states only guns and ammo allowed at the range, no where else on the entire park, unless Leo or special license to hunt.

Last edited:

esperman

The Common-Wealth of Kentucky Preempts The Regulation of Firearms under Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870.

Thanks for posting this Statute, I'll research it.