Thread: OC with statute

OC with statute

I know a lot of people OC with a video/audio on them to protect themselves and keep LEO's in check. But why not also carry a print out of the statute in your state, folded up in your back pocket. That way when a LEO tries to argue, you can show them the statute in writing taked from your state's web site. Seems fairly cut and dry. Has anyone tried this?

Bremerton, Washington
    Wouldn't work in Washington State, since there is no RCW authorizing open carry, it is a right, not a privilege or permission slip item. I suppose carrying a printed copy of state preemption RCW 9.41.290

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

might be helpful, but I doubt any LEO that is telling you that open carry is illegal is going to worry about a piece of paper you are holding.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Cops are always right, even when they're wrong. There's little chance that he'd even look at any paper you tried to show him. Claims that it's an illegal arrest would bring eyerolls and mutters about "curbside lawyers." Not to mention what the previous poster said, most states don't explicitly say that OC is legal, they simply say what is illegal regarding guns, such as brandishing.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Georgia, USA
    Picture this -

Okay... I'm a cop and I'm interrogating (field interview) someone I have no reasonable suspicion is doing anything wrong but that's not gonna stop me....
    Anyway, he wants to pull something, I don't know what out of his back pocket, does he have a knife or gun back there?
    Whew, it wasn't a gun, but he wants me to read something? Really? He wants me to take my eyes off his hands and look away?
    That ain't gonna happen.

Windham, Maine
    I have my state statutes bookmarked on my phone internet and select statute reference numbers easily accessible on my home phone page. Nice and easy to site.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Ukraine & Bangor Maine
    All the more reason to get a one page State info trifold/brochure, etc put together.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom

South Bend, Indiana, USA
    If it's illegal, he should be able to cite a law saying it's illegal. Failing that, they'll just detain you for an hour and a half and make up a bogus statute. Sometimes. Allegedly.
    Last edited by cce1302; 09-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.