• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shine some light on this for me?

newbigunner

First off I'm new here and am enjoying all the information I have found on here thus far!

I'm new to the Washington state gun laws, I have been looking online for some time now about them I even went to my local police station and picked up my "CPL" papers and their firearms law booklet. I do not have my WA "CPL" at this moment I still have to turn it in and wait the required 30 days, my question here is about "open carry" while on foot, can I have a "loaded" pistol on me in WA state while open carry while walking also is a OC okay with a shoulder holster? I jog and walk at night so I wan't to have my open carry on me loaded and ready to go if needed

davidmcbeth

Banned
welcome ! There are a few folks who know there stuff about WA ... best to learn before you talk to police who may or may not know what they are talking about depending on who you speak to.

newbigunner

Thank's Vitaeus I read it and I gather it is lawful to oc a "loaded" weapon is the state of Washington. I went in today to pay for my CPL but the police station is closed on the weekends I'll have to wait till Monday

I'm still nervous to OC I never have and I don't want to be stopped by police and get in trouble for doing something wrong I have never been in trouble I have never even got a speeding ticket in my life I don't like cops and would rather not even talk to them they scare me to death

hermannr

Thank's Vitaeus I read it and I gather it is lawful to oc a "loaded" weapon is the state of Washington. I went in today to pay for my CPL but the police station is closed on the weekends I'll have to wait till Monday

I'm still nervous to OC I never have and I don't want to be stopped by police and get in trouble for doing something wrong I have never been in trouble I have never even got a speeding ticket in my life I don't like cops and would rather not even talk to them they scare me to death

Hej!

Put you fears away and I will tell you my story..

In 1970, this new US citizen went to the loggerrodeo in Sedro-Woolley. One of the events was a "quick draw" competition on the main street of town. After the competition I noticed there were a lot of people still OCing their weapons, and there were other people too that were OCing that had not been in the compitition...I stopped one of the competitors and asked him about everyone OCing...He told me that it was perfectly legal, no license required...

Well, I went home, got my 6" Colt revolver, put it in it's holster, strapped up and went back to town. Being young, dumb, and trusting the stranger's word, I went into every store that was open, the bank, the festival grounds, everywhere,,,no one noticed, no one cared, no one said one word about that big Colt. Been OCing ever since. (I did eventually get my CPL years later when they changed the law so you couldn't carry loaded in a vehicle, but I still OC, all the time I don't have a coat on for the weather.

Talks to LE? 2 times I have talked to LE. First was about 25 years ago, Chelan County Deputy..I was purchasing supplies for our hunting camp in a grocery store in Manson...someone called in MWAG. By the time the Deputy Sheriff got there I was loading our purchases into the camper. Deputy "Hunting?" Me "yep" That was our conversation...then he went off muttering about having to find the caller and explaining there was nothing illegal going on.

The second LE encounter was a couple weeks ago at the Clear Lake boat ramp in Clear Lake. Skagit Co Deputy..."What is it?" Me "CZ85". Deputy "cool, nice gun." End of that part of the discussion.

Since 1970, I have never been asked for my ID because of my carry. I have never been asked for my CPL, or even if I had a CPL. I have never been disarmed or hassled in any way by LE. I have been told to leave the weapon in the car at some businesses and I always respond, you do not want my carry, you do not want my business... This happens very infrequently, but it does happen. If it happens to you, just leave...and take your business elsewhere.

Unlicensed OC in WA is totally legal..(though you MAY need to unload if you are in a vehicle). In your booklet, particularly pay attention to RCW 9.41.050, RCW 9.41.060 and 9.41.300. Also remember, to the F&W people (RCW 70 ref) a "firearm" is a long gun..(Rifle or shotgun)...and a lot of festivals that have music do not meet the "outdoor music festival" restriction (RCW 77 ref)

The 30 days for your CPL? that is the MAX time they are allowed...in my county (Okanogan) it usually takes about 2 days.

Last edited:

newbigunner

I went on my first open carry walk today, two cops followed me for about 10 minutes then did one last pass and waved at me I was nervous as could be other than that my fiance and I had a pleasant walk :)

DeltaOps

I went on my first open carry walk today, two cops followed me for about 10 minutes then did one last pass and waved at me I was nervous as could be other than that my fiance and I had a pleasant walk :)

OC naturally. In other words, if you are nervous, you will show it. The cops might have seen the nervousness and picked up on it. Since they can not legally stop you, they may have decided to not push the boundries. Some LEOs will ask questions, my advice to you, read as many posts in these forums as you can. A lot of good advice here. From there, you decide what to do if ever approached by a LEO. Carry proud, and always stay alert and be cautious of your surroundings.

07Altima

Welcome :)

Not sure where you are but we live in the Lynnwood area, Wife, and I just got done today doing OC in Seattle at the SPD (seattle police) picnic, and it was great met some fellow minded people cross party even so happy with how it turned out, yet I have never once been stopped for OC just had some friendly hello's, and questions about what I carry, and why I carry it. Nothing negative has come of it so far. I have to say that those who get harassment tend to be those who are not always the best kept. I can say right now that if you look, and smell homeless or pull the banger homey look you are far more likely to be hassled or harassed. I have talked with Bikers for instance who are not part of any club, yet they have gotten hassled, and harassed regularly for OC, the fact is those that get the attn. are either looking for it, or fit the bill of what some bad guys look like. most who dress or act in such fashion are far less worried about the hassle as they can understand why they are getting it.

I have to say that my hand cannon is no small plastic toy, She is a 3in Raging Judge impossible to miss with the bright red back strap, and the ornate custom leather holster. I have yet to find myself dealing with any negative reactions.

I kind of hope you are up our way, if you can look for the area you are located in on here for Washington as we have meetups all over the state. I attend the Bothell meet every first Saturday of the mo. down south in north tac area just had their second saturday meet. these events will give you more confidence, and make you feel at home, allow you to lose the feeling of isolation, that one I know many in this state feel when they first OC.

If we as an OC group can I would like to pull off a camp out, and shooting weekend next year,for Open Carry folks. However I would like to at least set up a weekend soon where we can all go shoot at a pit some where as a group in a location where we can be free to show off what we carry, unload and if comfortable let others handle the firearm, maybe even swap for shots. I think it would be fun to give some of my OC friends a chance at this monster :) as she does 45LC 410shot shell, and 454 cassull that 454 has a nice kick to it, and when people get the chance to feel that 45lc they will know why I carry it. the 45lc is super super smooth in this one because it weighs so much. :)

once we all figure out a place, and time it would be great. I mostly want to go do this at a pit so showing or swapping guns shot for shot wont be getting us in trouble. I need to coordinate with some people so that we can get some volunteers for range safety officers. I hope you feel better and better as you carry, as that is how I have become more use to dealing with anti gunners, and those with some insane fear of them.

I hope you join us for the meets at least, and I hope to see you if I am able to set something up for the OC to go camp, and shoot :)

fire suppressor

If you live on kitsap county go to the sheriff's station in silverdale. They will laminate it in front of you and give it to you the same day

Boomboy007

Let's split the difference!

Hey, 07Altima, maybe you should drive a bit north. We here in Whatcom county are a pretty active bunch, and we have met some of our kindred folk a little south of here at a nice pit in Sedro Wooley. You guys come a bit north, we'll come a bit south, and we can plain ole makle a day of it. Heck, between us we could probably manage to come up with some camp chairs, a pop up or two for shade, and make a meal of the event. Hot dogs, hamburgers, and live ammunition; what a combo!

amlevin

OC okay with a shoulder holster?

If an ordinary person can see enough of the firearm to discern you are carrying one then it's considered Open Carry. This is why it's legal to carry inside your waistband as long as enough of the firearm is exposed so people know it is one. Don't buy any of those statements some make that if any part of your firearm is concealed then the entire firearm is concealed. Ask those individuals what a holster does.