• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a Theater?

Rand0m411

I open carry just about everywhere I go. Is it bad form to OC in a movie theater now? I really don't want to see a movie without my firearm (no need to be a sheep to the slaughter). I have always taken it in the past. I have CHL, but would like other Oregonian opinions on the matter. Should I just conceal or should I OC like I always have?

Been lurking on the forums for over a year, new to posting.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Is it bad form? Not in my opinion. Is it likely to cause you unwarranted trouble? Most likely. I rarely go to the theater but I would most likely conceal carry, at least until I got to my seat.

purlrider

First of all I NEVER leave my house with out my side arm. Now this:

My one and I were informed at a Regal theater we went to last Saturday that Regal now has a no gun policy just like the theater in Colorado.
How sick and ignorant is that?

Guy

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
My answer is yes. Every corporate chain has a rule against carrying in their theater, so you have three choices:

1) Honor their choice and leave, and probably not have many places to ever go to a movie.

2) Honor their choice and leave the gun at home while watching a movie.

3) Conceal carry (in Oregon, signs mean nothing).

If I were in your position, choice #3 would be best.

That all being said, I think even at a place without a corporate chain over it, open carrying to a theater is an extremely bad idea, especially now. The cops WILL be called, you will have your moviewatching ruined for certain, and the theater will consider you too much trouble and eject your ass out.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Gray Peterson said:
Every corporate chain has a rule against carrying in their theater
Apparently Marcus Corp., with HQ in WI, does not.

The cops WILL be called, you will have your moviewatching ruined for certain, and the theater will consider you too much trouble and eject your ass out.
Much as I hate to say it, I agree.
I think that in far too many theaters they'll have the knee-jerk reaction to want to throw someone out... while never considering the many cc pistols.
I'd at least have a shirt over it until I got to my seat.
Walking out OC isn't a problem. In fact, might be instructive for the staff.

Rand0m411

I just concealed carried. Really wanted to see the movie and not get kicked out. No incident. It was a Coming Attractions Theatres.

I might just boycott the movies, I don't feel like I need to make myself a victim so that everyone else can feel better about it.

Thanks for all the input.

FireFighterchen

Activist Member
I open carry just about everywhere I go. Is it bad form to OC in a movie theater now? I really don't want to see a movie without my firearm (no need to be a sheep to the slaughter). I have always taken it in the past. I have CHL, but would like other Oregonian opinions on the matter. Should I just conceal or should I OC like I always have?

Been lurking on the forums for over a year, new to posting.

No it's not bad form. Just because one psycho does something evil doesn't make all of us who have OC'ed for years also evil. While I agree that most chain theaters have a firearms policy, not all theaters do. I live by 3 theaters, 2 of which have firearms bans. The Fairchilds Theater near my home is the only one I will go to, as I open carry there all the time. I was even there on the night of the Batman Premier, but when they told me all showings besides Batman were closed (I wanted to watch Ted), my wife and I left for home. Needless to say, that was a very sad morning to wake up to, and I too didn't know how to feel about the night before where all the patrons at the theater near saw me open carrying.

A few days later my wife wanted to go see Ted, so we headed off to Fairchilds. After asking what is in my wife's bag, he saw my firearm and completely forgot to check my wifes bag. We then spoke for a few minutes about what's needed to carry, and carry openly. While I was walking away to the the correct room, this is why I will only go to Fairchilds, he stated the owner of this theater wished more people would carry in his theater, because CO would have ended way different if they could defend themselves. All their doors are clean glass no restrictions at this theater.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you ever visit the Tri Cities in WA and go see a movie, I HIGHLY recommend Fairchilds Theaters off Rd 68.

45 Fan

Dont be nervous, that makes them want to confront you. If you just act normal and go watch your movie, they will leave you alone. I just never bother to ask them because they dont have any signs stating i cant do it.