Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seahawks fans will be searched with handheld metal detector

Seahawks fans will be searched with handheld metal detector

I was hoping they would not resort to this !

If you're going to the Seahawks game tonight, you'll face a couple of things that may slow you down. In addition to traffic tie-ups all over the area, you will be subject to a search with a handheld metal detector.

The new rule is in accordance with the National Football League.

You will be asked to remove all metal objects from your pockets and hold them visibly in your hands. Metal objects include, but are not limited to, the following: coins, keys and cell phones.

Full Story
    I am sure everyone is aware of how dangerous it can be walking to and from your car at a professional sporting event, The Tuba Man Ed McMichael what was killed comes to mind.
    Last edited by BigDave; 08-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

When I went to a Redskins game a couple of years ago they were already doing pat-downs. I'm not surprised by this recent development.

I did not go to many NFL games, but I have attended my last now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I was hoping they would not resort to this !

I am sure everyone is aware of how dangerous it can be walking to and from your car at a professional sporting event, The Tuba Man Ed McMichael what was killed comes to mind.
    Wasn't he kicked to death OUTSIDE the stadium? Yes, they were patting down some 95 yrs old fan during this ..

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    I did not go to many NFL games, but I have attended my last now.
    DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Wasn't he kicked to death OUTSIDE the stadium? Yes, they were patting down some 95 yrs old fan during this ..
    I was under the impression the assault occurred outside the park after a game, but I found it was just after midnight at a bus stop near by.

On Oct. 25, police say, McMichael, 53, was near a bus stop in the 500 block of Mercer Street when thugs attacked, beating and robbing him after midnight. He was taken to the hospital for head wounds and was home recovering. But he died sometime Sunday or early Monday.

"We believe his death was directly connected to the assault," Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb told me Monday night. Gang and homicide detectives were handling the case.

Two juvenile suspects were in custody, and detectives are looking for three other people. "This is tragic," Whitcomb said. Police are seeking the public's help.

"Ed passed away overnight," Ronny Chesvick said Monday. Chesvick works at the Vermont Inn, where McMichael lived. "Ed was a great guy. Funny. Friendly. Easygoing. We all loved him."

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...#ixzz23HXlKcAO
    It still shows a direct need to be able to defend oneself and disarming the public to attend a sporting event, I have better things to spend my money on.
    Last edited by BigDave; 08-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

Just a friendly reminder.

I noticed that 9.41.060.... Get a fishing license carry a small fishing pole with you, could be fun.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 08-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

This is the same as years past. I have carried to every Seahawks game. They simply do not do an effective job.

I wonder if they will have this for Sounders games... hope not - will report back after the next match...

"Keep it under your hat."

That's what I love about my Kel-Tec P3-AT

Anyone ever notice that you get a better view when watching the games at home? Sometimes with slightly less beer spilled on you

Snacks are cheaper too.

Just think how nice a TV/Home Theater one could buy with the amount a couple of Season Passes cost not to mention you can watch the team on away games with the same premium seating (no beer or urine running under it like in some stadiums). No blocked view either.

Don't have to worry about some crackhead breaking into your car you parked 2 miles away in an alley as it was the only thing you could afford after buying the season passes.

Also don't have to stand in line just to pee in a trough.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Anyone ever notice that you get a better view when watching the games at home? Sometimes with slightly less beer spilled on you

Snacks are cheaper too.

No blocked view either.

Don't have to worry about some crackhead breaking into your car you parked 2 miles away in an alley as it was the only thing you could afford after buying the season passes.

Also don't have to stand in line just to pee in a trough.
    Good Lord, man; you just dissed everything that IS the American football experience. Do you hate apple pie, too?

Quote Originally Posted by 3/325 View Post
    Good Lord, man; you just dissed everything that IS the American football experience. Do you hate apple pie, too?
    Not yet. But if it starts costing me $180 bucks or so for each piece I might just start hating it too.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

How does any of ths relate to the Seahawks and/or the NFL?

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

I noticed that 9.41.060.... Get a fishing license carry a small fishing pole with you, could be fun.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 3/325 View Post
    i don't hate apple pie either, but i hate football, so does that count?
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    How does any of ths relate to the Seahawks and/or the NFL?

stay safe.
    It does not apply to private entities and in this case Seattle Seahawks or another sports team, it is just a shame they want to restrict possession.

It does not apply to private entities and in this case Seattle Seahawks or another sports team, it is just a shame they want to restrict possession.
    Thought it was a public stadium. Was it not paid for with tax dollars?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Thought it was a public stadium. Was it not paid for with tax dollars?
    It is though the restriction in RCW 9.41.300 is addressing governmental entities not public.

I read it like this; If I have a CPL and get the wand, I present the CPL and I'm in. Correct?

It is though the restriction in RCW 9.41.300 is addressing governmental entities not public.
    So who owns it?

Why would the law address stadiums unless it meant stadiums?

So who owns it?

Why would the law address stadiums unless it meant stadiums?
    It is owned and ran by the Washington State Public Stadium Authority and thus subject to that RCW. You should be able to show your CPL and get in. Now whether or not the guards realize the law, I'm not sure.

IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    i don't hate apple pie either, but i hate football, so does that count?
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildars View Post
    It is owned and ran by the Washington State Public Stadium Authority and thus subject to that RCW. You should be able to show your CPL and get in. Now whether or not the guards realize the law, I'm not sure.

IANAL.
    It's a Leased Facility. Lessee gets to make their rules. Now if you want to be a test case--------

It's a Leased Facility. Lessee gets to make their rules. Now if you want to be a test case--------
    Even if what you're saying is true and I was a test case, the worst that could happen is they remove me from the property. It is not against any law to carry into a stadium.

IANAL.
    First take a look at 9.41.290 State preemption. where the State maintains control over firearms regulation through out the State.
    The State Legislature enacted RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

In this RCW the State Legislature has place certain restrictions in place to include provided limited authority to "(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances" thus the Washington State Public Stadium Authority cannot restrict firearms possession though who the lease or rent the space to can as a private entity being able to control access to their events.
    An example you reserved a portion of a park for a family reunion, you are setup for food, soft drinks, activities for those invited and then you have a group of unwanted decide to come in and interrupt your activities, each your food and drink, do you have a right to tell them to leave and call law enforcement if necessary?....................Yes and they can be removed from this area as it is under your control when you reserved the area.

Even if what you're saying is true and I was a test case, the worst that could happen is they remove me from the property. It is not against any law to carry into a stadium.
    Kildars it would not be a firearms violation but a trespass issue and if you refuse to leave then it becomes criminal trespass, but all in all they can and do restrict firearms, sadly.
    Last edited by BigDave; 08-13-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast