• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seahawks fans will be searched with handheld metal detector

amlevin

It is owned and ran by the Washington State Public Stadium Authority and thus subject to that RCW. You should be able to show your CPL and get in. Now whether or not the guards realize the law, I'm not sure.

IANAL.

It's a Leased Facility. Lessee gets to make their rules. Now if you want to be a test case--------

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It is owned and ran by the Washington State Public Stadium Authority and thus subject to that RCW. You should be able to show your CPL and get in. Now whether or not the guards realize the law, I'm not sure.

IANAL.

First take a look at 9.41.290 State preemption. where the State maintains control over firearms regulation through out the State.
The State Legislature enacted RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

In this RCW the State Legislature has place certain restrictions in place to include provided limited authority to "(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances" thus the Washington State Public Stadium Authority cannot restrict firearms possession though who the lease or rent the space to can as a private entity being able to control access to their events.
An example you reserved a portion of a park for a family reunion, you are setup for food, soft drinks, activities for those invited and then you have a group of unwanted decide to come in and interrupt your activities, each your food and drink, do you have a right to tell them to leave and call law enforcement if necessary?....................Yes and they can be removed from this area as it is under your control when you reserved the area.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It's a Leased Facility. Lessee gets to make their rules. Now if you want to be a test case--------

Even if what you're saying is true and I was a test case, the worst that could happen is they remove me from the property. It is not against any law to carry into a stadium.

Kildars it would not be a firearms violation but a trespass issue and if you refuse to leave then it becomes criminal trespass, but all in all they can and do restrict firearms, sadly.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Now that depends it may not be a lease it may be a license to use. Most but not all government owned facilities that others use are under a license to use. If it is a license to use the occupier has no property rights. The Spokane arena Convention Center etc all use licenses to use they never ever rent or lease the facilities because the City or in this case The Washington Public Stadium Authority would lose all rights to the building under a lease whereas under a license to use the retain all rights.

Has anyone seen a copy of the agreement???

I have sent 2 FOIA requests to Spokane PFD and have not received a reply.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I have sent a FOIA request for: Any License, Lease or Contract for use of land and/or facilities

Ill reply back once I hear back.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
An example you reserved a portion of a park for a family reunion, you are setup for food, soft drinks, activities for those invited and then you have a group of unwanted decide to come in and interrupt your activities, each your food and drink, do you have a right to tell them to leave and call law enforcement if necessary?....................Yes and they can be removed from this area as it is under your control when you reserved the area.

That seems like a stretch for me, depending on how the agreement for the reservation was made. In this scenario, the city more than likely licensed the family to use the facility/portion of the park. From what I have seen in licenses for use they a) do not give full property rights such as in a lease (mostly they [city] retain such rights as called out in the agreement) and/or b) do not give exclusive access. A license or permit of use I feel gives a lot less control of the area then what you are suggesting.

While I agree that the police could respond and a) cite the individuals for stealing your food or b) disturbing the peace? Perhaps intimidate them into leaving the area giving the alternative of a citation or jail. Maybe even some other law could be thought up by the officers that respond but I don't think they would cite them for trespass.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I have sent a FOIA request for: Any License, Lease or Contract for use of land and/or facilities

Ill reply back once I hear back.

Let me know when you get this info. Let's make this our next project for the long term.

What I would like to see: Carry allowed, with CPL presented. (Probably CC due to the nature of the venue/crowds)
What may be an avenue: Lock Boxes available.

Thoughts?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Let me know when you get this info. Let's make this our next project for the long term.

What I would like to see: Carry allowed, with CPL presented. (Probably CC due to the nature of the venue/crowds)

Thoughts?

I am all for the concept of approaching them on the issue of being able to carry be it open or concealed or just concealed as to the lock boxes if they were located in a secure area I would feel more comfortable then just an unwatched area.

sirpuma

I haven't been to a pro sports event of any kind since I was in High School. I pretty much stopped watching football on TV about 15 years ago and even stopped watching NASCAR in the past few years. I don't buy their team product either. The last time I had a favorite NFL team it was Tom Landry's Cowboys.

SeattleWingsfan

This is very intresting. I had never thought about the fact that the venue is most likely licensed. That makes a big difference. And since the venue is used by many different organizations the chances it is a license and not a lease are very likely. Licenses in general basically give the right to occupy and very little else. I could just imagine the amount of paperwork involved in an agreement for a stadium licensed or leased.
essential characteristics of a real estate
license: 1) a clause allowing the licensor
to revoke “at will”; 2) the retention by the
licensor of absolute control over the
premises; and 3) the licensor’s supplying
to the licensee all of the essential services
required for the licensee’s permitted
use of the premises.

taken from http://www.blumberglegalforms.com/html/05508103080008AdamL.pdf

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

Well after a little research online. I believe Paul Allen's company First and Goal has a lease on the property. And in turn they License it to the seahawks, sounders, motocross or whatever is there. Although it sounds like a complicated agreement. I believe the only way First and Goal could License it out is for them to have a lease.

WIKI... In September 1998, First & Goal signed a 30-year stadium lease that includes options to extend for another 20.[15] Per the agreement, the Public Stadium Authority receives $850,000 a year from First and Goal (adjusted for inflation), and First & Goal keeps all revenue from the stadium and parking garage. The company receives 80% of the revenue from the exhibition center while the other twenty percent is allotted to a state education fund. First & Goal is responsible for all operating and maintenance costs, expected to be $6 million a year, and must keep the facility in "first-class" condition.

I think the only way to get to carry leagally there would be to convince First and Goal to allow it.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

Thoughts?

I received the FOIA documents.

Whats Included:
  • Master Lease to First & Goal (dated 1998) (First & Goal is the event organizer that books Seahawks and other events at the stadium)
  • Any and All amendments to the Master Lease (Between 1998 and Current)
  • Any and All supporting documents for the master lease and any amendments

In all its 252 pages long and 23MB in size.

Freedom1Man

I received the FOIA documents.

Whats Included:
  • Master Lease to First & Goal (dated 1998) (First & Goal is the event organizer that books Seahawks and other events at the stadium)
  • Any and All amendments to the Master Lease (Between 1998 and Current)
  • Any and All supporting documents for the master lease and any amendments

In all its 252 pages long and 23MB in size.

Can send it via Skype or Yahoo Messenger or maybe e-mail?

SigPacker

Carrying into the Sounders match this evening was no issue... the usual check out the bag.... didnt get felt up... no issues....