• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seahawks fans will be searched with handheld metal detector

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Police-upset-about-gun-ban-at-CenturyLink-Field-187248841.html

Company officials say the decision to ban firearms at CenturyLink Field is a safety issue, but the move has touched a nerve with many local law enforcement agents.

CenturyLink management has decided that off-duty officers going to events at CenturyLink as fans can no longer bring guns through the gates.

That move isn't sitting well with many officers, who say bringing their weapons to events while off duty is part of their job to protect and serve, even as spectators.

While many officers are upset about the new policy, some civilians believe it's the right thing to do.

"I guess my first thought is that they should be required to do whatever the average citizen can do, and if the average citizen isn't allowed to take a concealed weapon in then I'm not sure police officers should be either," said Erica Rintoul.

The president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild said the policy is "misguided" and "insulting."

badkarma

I forgot to post something here the last game I went to. I carried a G26 w/ an extra mag. I forgot to take my mag out of my pants pocket and every time he waved the wand over it the thing went off. I kept removing my wallet and putting it back in but it kept going off. He couldn't "Touch" me so he just let me in. It was pretty easy to get in and had the kid liked his job a little more I might have not go through.

deanf

CenturyLink management has decided that off-duty officers going to events at CenturyLink as fans can no longer bring guns through the gates.

Fine with me. Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander. If cops are not going to stand up in a very public way, as a group, for the Second Amendment, they do not have my support.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Washington State Public Stadium Authority to oversee public ownership of the venue and since the Stadium is public owned and operate they cannot restrict firearms per RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption.

RCW 9.41.300 (2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

Why would anyone feel it is okay for this restriction when it includes citizens as well? They must really hate law enforcement to voluntarily give up their own rights to do so!

hermannr

It does not apply to private entities and in this case Seattle Seahawks or another sports team, it is just a shame they want to restrict possession.

However, It is public property, owned by the City of Seattle, the stadium is NOT owned by the Seadogs

hermannr

Fine with me. Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander. If cops are not going to stand up in a very public way, as a group, for the Second Amendment, they do not have my support.[/I][/COLOR]

Actually, some county Sheriff's arlready have. Like the Linn County Sheriff in OR. Actually, I think he wrote as rep from the OR Sheriffs association. (sorry I do not have the link handy, should be easy to find)

There have been a couple from TX too, and I am pretty sure our Sheriff is right there with them, as are some others here in WA.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It does not apply to private entities and in this case Seattle Seahawks or another sports team, it is just a shame they want to restrict possession.

However, It is public property, owned by the City of Seattle, the stadium is NOT owned by the Seadogs

From my understanding it is not the Seahawks but Washington State Public Stadium Authority wanting to restrict firearms.

Jeff Hayes

Washington State Public Stadium Authority to oversee public ownership of the venue and since the Stadium is public owned and operate they cannot restrict firearms per RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption.

RCW 9.41.300 (2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

Why would anyone feel it is okay for this restriction when it includes citizens as well? They must really hate law enforcement to voluntarily give up their own rights to do so!

I have been fighting this battle for almost a year now with the Spokane Public Facilities District over my OC at the Ron Paul Rally. The SPF keeps citing Cherry, Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association and Chan. It appears that the only way I will get them to budge is to hire a lawyer and sue them for not following state law. I would love to hear everyone's opinion. My opinion is Cherry does not apply and NWSPA clearly states that a municipality can not make laws or rules that affect the general public, Chan mentions the NWSPA. I will be out of town till sometime in March at which time I plan to pursue this matter.

So far they have refused to reply to my requests for information as well.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have been fighting this battle for almost a year now with the Spokane Public Facilities District over my OC at the Ron Paul Rally. The SPF keeps citing Cherry, Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association and Chan. It appears that the only way I will get them to budge is to hire a lawyer and sue them for not following state law. I would love to hear everyone's opinion. My opinion is Cherry does not apply and NWSPA clearly states that a municipality can not make laws or rules that affect the general public, Chan mentions the NWSPA. I will be out of town till sometime in March at which time I plan to pursue this matter.

Cherry has to do with an employer employee relationship and Chan clearly as you have stated Cities cannot prohibit firearms outside what State Preemption allows.

Remind me, did you go to the city council with your complaint?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild said the policy is "misguided" and "insulting."

Notice the arrogance there. They're insulted if they're not given the privileges they think they deserve above ordinary citizens.

Insult them some more, I say.

amlevin

Public Property - Yes

Leased to the Paul Allen Group. Lessee's CAN and DO make rules legally as to what they restrict. They are essentially the "temporary owners" of the property as long as they pay the rent and comply with the terms of the Lease.

Seattle, King County, or the State, all have no part in banning, or not banning firearms.

As for me, no issue. I watch the games in a nice comfortable seat, eating affordable snacks/food, drinking reasonably priced drinks, and don't have anyone standing in front of me. Ditto for not having what I think is beer flowing past my feet.

bennie1986

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Tax payer funded means they cant restrict carry. Why does it matter if they are leasing? They are leasing a public facility. If they were leasing a private facility only then can it be a trespass issue.

Thor80

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Tax payer funded means they cant restrict carry. Why does it matter if they are leasing? They are leasing a public facility. If they were leasing a private facility only then can it be a trespass issue.

Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association v. City of Sequim, 158 Wn. 2d. 342, Oct. 2006

¶31 A municipality acts in a proprietary capacity when it "acts as the proprietor of a business enterprise for the private advantage of the [municipality]" and it may "exercise its business powers in much the same way as a private individual or corporation." Hite v. Pub. Util. Dist. No. 2 of Grant County, 112 Wn.2d 456, 459, 772 P.2d 481 (1989); Branson v. Port of Seattle, 152 Wn.2d 862, 870, 101 P.3d 67 (2004). When acting in a proprietary capacity, a city may enter into any contract "'which is necessary to render the system efficient and beneficial to the public.'" Hite, 112 Wn.2d at 460 (quoting Puget Sound Power & Light Co. v. Pub. Util. Dist. No. 1, 17 Wn. App. 861, 864, 565 P.2d 1221 (1977)); see also Stover v. Winston Bros. Co., 185 Wash. 416, 422, 55 P.2d 821 (1936). By issuing a temporary use permit, the city was leasing its property to PNSPA and acting in its private capacity as a property owner.

This case screwed the pooch on that one....... If the facility was open to the public then this wouldn't apply but since the games are not open to the public the "lessee" can make rules just like private property owners.... If the stadium/arena was open to the public for an even like most city/municipality buildings then RCW 9.41.290 and 300 would apply.

Thor

Thor80

What we have going for us Orphan was that we were asked to leave the BUILDING which was open to the public as we were standing in the hallway/lobby, not just the "leased area". They were citing a City Ordinance that was not enforceable since we both were licensed under RCW 9.41.070. In our case I believe that .300 would apply since the entire building was not "leased" just a specific room.

-Thor

bennie1986

Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Association v. City of Sequim, 158 Wn. 2d. 342, Oct. 2006

This case screwed the pooch on that one....... If the facility was open to the public then this wouldn't apply but since the games are not open to the public the "lessee" can make rules just like private property owners.... If the stadium/arena was open to the public for an even like most city/municipality buildings then RCW 9.41.290 and 300 would apply.

Thor

So your saying it based on case law?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
For those interested, here is a link to the master lease received via FOIA request between the Public Stadium Authority and First And Goal (The booking agent for the venue).

SkyDrive: http://sdrv.ms/YdzQeM