• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Oregon

Rune

Cross-posted from the WA forum.

I need some advice guys. I've looked through the laws of Oregon and I can't really find a clear answer. I will be travelling to the Oregon coast in a few weeks for vacation. I do not have a concealed permit for Oregon. I will be bringing my toy hauler down. Whenever I have crossed into Oregon in the past I have always made sure to unload my firearm, and because I have a truck I have a small gunsafe in the truck that I lock it in. I figured in that aspect I'm safe because of the Interstate transport rules. My question, is how do the rules apply while I am long-term staying in Oregon. My original plan was simply to keep it locked in the gun safe in the trailer. I would assume that because the Trailer is then my "home" I would be legal, but I've come to learn that with firearms...never assume anything. Can anyone help shed some light on things that I need to be aware of? And yes...I realize I need to just go take my class and just apply for Oregon's permit. I simply have not had the time to do so.

Thanks..

We-the-People

Read ORS 166.170 to 166.380

Without a CHL you can open carry a loaded weapon EXCEPT:
In "public building" (as defined in the regulations which the listed sections will point you to);
In cities or counties with a prohibition on loaded open carry (they are not allowed to regulate unloaded carry)

You should check the stickied threads (only two) in the Oregon forum and download the Open Carry Pamphlet as well as read up on the ban cities. THEN you should check the specific cities through which you will be traveling to determine the status of each jurisdictions regulations on loaded open carry.

I am not a lawyer and you should never take legal advice from anyone other than a lawyer with whom you have an established client relationship (including a consultation), read the regulations personally and understand them.

Keeping your weapon unloaded and locked in a locked weapons box in your trailer should be perfectly good throughout Oregon. The only issue would be loading it and carry (even within the vehicle) if you are within a loaded carry ban city.

hermannr

Cross-posted from the WA forum.

I need some advice guys. I've looked through the laws of Oregon and I can't really find a clear answer. I will be travelling to the Oregon coast in a few weeks for vacation. I do not have a concealed permit for Oregon. I will be bringing my toy hauler down. Whenever I have crossed into Oregon in the past I have always made sure to unload my firearm, and because I have a truck I have a small gunsafe in the truck that I lock it in. I figured in that aspect I'm safe because of the Interstate transport rules. My question, is how do the rules apply while I am long-term staying in Oregon. My original plan was simply to keep it locked in the gun safe in the trailer. I would assume that because the Trailer is then my "home" I would be legal, but I've come to learn that with firearms...never assume anything. Can anyone help shed some light on things that I need to be aware of? And yes...I realize I need to just go take my class and just apply for Oregon's permit. I simply have not had the time to do so.

Thanks..

ORS 166.250(3) states that a gun openly carried in a holster on your hip cannot not be considered concealed. ORS 166.260 has exemptions to the prohibitions in ORS 166.250 (kind of like RCW 9.41.050 and RCW 9.41.060) Loaded Open Carry is legal in and out of your vehicle (how in ORS 166.250(3)) except with local government option given in ORS 166.173. Very few cities have utilized this provision but some are Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Salem, Astoria...

If you are going down the coast, those places are Astoria, and Lincoln City if I remember correctly...absolutely Astoria. However, they can only restrict you to being unloaded Open carry, unless you have a license to carry...for open carry, this can be a out of state license...but only for open carry (see ORS 166.173) If you are going to be fishing, and have an OR fishing license...I would read ORS 166.260 carefully...your fishing license can be your carry license..

You still have to be careful of the "public building" restriction in ORS 166.370 and 166.380 as stated by "we-the-people" as that restriction is to OR CHL license holders only. Read the definition (means like city hall, library..etc) in ORS 166...and you will be good.