Thread: Banned area

Banned area

Does anyone know of any cities or parishes in Louisiana that does not allow open carry?

I don't think local ordinances can supersede state law on this matter.

That is how it has been explained to me... but I was also told to print out these laws and carry them with me in case I ever needed them.

Thanks. Thought I read once that some places may have had an anti carry law in place before the OC was passed and theirs would stay in place

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
    I don't think local ordinances can supersede state law on this matter.

That is how it has been explained to me... but I was also told to print out these laws and carry them with me in case I ever needed them.
    See RS 40:1796. Local laws restricting weapons carry in place before July 15, 1985 are not preempted by state law.

LOCAL has a list of several relevant statutes, court decisions, and AG opinions regarding open carry. You can Google the statute references, or go directly to the Louisiana Legislature Search and search/browse for the statutes.

Remember, it's your butt on the line when you carry, so do your own research and don't rely on any layman's opinion (including mine).
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 08-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post

Remember, it's your butt on the line when you carry, so do your own research and don't rely on any layman's opinion (including mine).
    I'm always amused by folks who don't want to do their own legal research regarding these matters. They'll say "stupid_idiot" at this or that website gave me bad advice ... while they are sitting in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm always amused by folks who don't want to do their own legal research regarding these matters. They'll say "stupid_idiot" at this or that website gave me bad advice ... while they are sitting in prison.
    I suspect that part of it is the perception that "only lawyers can understand laws". I used to think that, until I actually dug into Louisiana and Mississippi laws regarding firearms carry, justifiable use of deadly force, etc. Now I find it fun to deconstruct a statute and tease out the meaning.

I'm always amazed at folks that post their opinions instead of answering what was asked. It could be that some are just looking to be pointed in the right direction so they can do their own research.

I think 4angerybadgers got it. Thanks.

Would this still be legit considering your latest change to your state constitution? I would think that any restriction would be put under the microscope (strict construction means that there has to be some very strong public purpose to the restriction...I would think carry in a secure area of a jail or courthouse might fit, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Would this still be legit considering your latest change to your state constitution? I would think that any restriction would be put under the microscope (strict construction means that there has to be some very strong public purpose to the restriction...I would think carry in a secure area of a jail or courthouse might fit, but not much else.
    Propsed change... it will be on the ballot this November.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 08-23-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Not being a resident of Louisiana, where better to start research in laws on firearms than this site. I found this response because I am looking for the laws of your fair state and this is a good place to start.
    Last edited by Grizz272; 09-30-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Even with the constitutional amendment adopted it would be unwise to simply ignore existing laws. Civil plaintiff is a more pleasant position from which to challenge the law than criminal defendant.

Abbeville?

If I am Reading this correctly even a CHP doesn't help you in Abbeville La?

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10339/ ... 3-21ILPOFI

Can anyone Clarify this or should I call the LEA?

Quote Originally Posted by gatordrag View Post
    If I am Reading this correctly even a CHP doesn't help you in Abbeville La?

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10339/ ... 3-21ILPOFI

Can anyone Clarify this or should I call the LEA?
    Welcome to OCDO and LOCAL!!

Some might consider it poor forum etiquette to post the same question in multiple threads.... just saying.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 12-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.

I apologize I didn't realize it was one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gatordrag View Post
    I apologize I didn't realize it was one and the same.
    OCDO is not LOCAL. You posted the question at LOCAL and then posted it here at OCDO twice. I referred to you posting here at OCDO twice.

No big deal though... glad to have another OCer join the fold.

again sorry for the double post, I will work on my forum etiquette, as you call it...and thanks for the information. I am sure I will have many more questions come up as I open carry more and more often.