• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC experience in Chipotle, Bellevue

theaero

Im a regular at the chipotle on 4th in Bellevue. Employees dont say anything to me about my carry pistol (full size 1911). No weird glances, all positive everytime.

Today, however, I was having a delicious burrito with my girlfriend on the lower floor, and I'm facing the window and my girlfriend is facing the cola machines. All of a sudden, she starts telling me the man behind me is taking photos of me with his phone. Flash and everything. I turn around, and double check with her. She says hes definitely taking about 3 photos, noticably. I turned around and asked him to stop photographing me, he said he wasnt. He then got up and left. I was partially expecting a MWAG gun, but nope. Just a few photographs of me carrying.

Thoughts on this? This was a first for me, and made my girlfriend pretty uncomfortable. She is with me all the time when I OC, and this was the first time she really didn't like it. I know we are the minority, and to expect some attention, but blantant photography?

Fallschirjmäger

You were in public and had no expectation of privacy unless the photos were for publication (and possibly not even then if you weren't the focus of the article.) Legally, you can photograph anything you can see, and it's only out of politeness that someone would comply with a request to cease and desist.

take_a_picture_it_will_last_longer_tshirt-p235708385072864454enstl_400.jpg

You didn't do anything wrong, but neither did the curious phonephotographer.
The only thing you might Possibly have done any better would be to have given a cheerful "Hi!" and made a new friend, or at least convinced a concerned citizen that just because someone is "different" doesn't make them "bad".

Last edited:

theaero

Wasnt questioning the legality. I was questioning the etiquette.

I might add that I was very polite in asking him to stop, and if there were more proof his action was related to my sidearm, I would have been more incline to talk to him about it. That being said, I was also on a date at the time...

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Ah, etiquette's tricky. Something one person may find extremely rude is something another may not recognize as being rude (or in this case, probably not care :( )
The rudeness wasn't worth more than a rebuke, certainly no one was willing to go to fisticuffs or brand anyone a coward in the local newspaper.

Let it go, neither you, your date, nor your firearm were harmed. He might show the pictures to all his friends and say "hey, lookie this a-hole" but he could do the same if you were wearing socks with sandals or white after Labor Day. People like that, who obviously did something, denied it and then immediately leave to avoid the issue, aren't worth your time.

You have a right to privacy, he has a right to photograph. Live and let live, go watch butterflies in the park with your girl :)

theaero

Ah, etiquette's tricky. Something one person may find extremely rude is something another may not recognize as being rude (or in this case, probably not care :( )
The rudeness wasn't worth more than a rebuke, certainly no one was willing to go to fisticuffs or brand anyone a coward in the local newspaper.

Let it go, neither you, your date, nor your firearm were harmed. He might show the pictures to all his friends and say "hey, lookie this a-hole" but he could do the same if you were wearing socks with sandals or white after Labor Day. People like that, who obviously did something, denied it and then immediately leave to avoid the issue, aren't worth your time.

You have a right to privacy, he has a right to photograph. Live and let live, go watch butterflies in the park with your girl :)

We actually followed up with Laser Quest. **** got REAL tactical, REAL quick.

MKEgal

Fallschirmjäger said:
it's only out of politeness that someone would comply with a request to cease.
FTFY
I hate having my picture taken, and I seem to run into a lot of people who take it as a challenge to get pictures of me, even after I've politely said I don't want to be in their picture, & moved out of the way.
I don't understand the mentality.

Last edited:

F350

Im a regular at the chipotle on 4th in Bellevue. Employees dont say anything to me about my carry pistol (full size 1911). No weird glances, all positive everytime.

Today, however, I was having a delicious burrito with my girlfriend on the lower floor, and I'm facing the window and my girlfriend is facing the cola machines. All of a sudden, she starts telling me the man behind me is taking photos of me with his phone. Flash and everything. I turn around, and double check with her. She says hes definitely taking about 3 photos, noticably. I turned around and asked him to stop photographing me, he said he wasnt. He then got up and left. I was partially expecting a MWAG gun, but nope. Just a few photographs of me carrying.

Thoughts on this? This was a first for me, and made my girlfriend pretty uncomfortable. She is with me all the time when I OC, and this was the first time she really didn't like it. I know we are the minority, and to expect some attention, but blantant photography?

I would have followed him out to his car and used my phone to take pictures of him, anyone else in the car, his car from multiple angles and closeups of his license plate; sauce for the goose and all that.

Difdi

FTFY
I hate having my picture taken, and I seem to run into a lot of people who take it as a challenge to get pictures of me, even after I've politely said I don't want to be in their picture, & moved out of the way.
I don't understand the mentality.

Taking pictures in public is kinda like carrying a holstered pistol. Some people get offended when you demand they stop exercising their rights.

oldkim

Umm... doing something legal and you want to call attention...

So OC'ing and you don't want to draw attention... ?

All is cool and then someone doing something legal - taking pictures in public... and you want them to stop?

Your drawing more attention and making a fuss... just like those idiots that want folks not to OC will come and complain or make a fuss about you OC'ing...

I find it strange. It's all good - things are cool, you are enjoying a good meal out with your GF and you OC... You know you'll get some attention. Your well informed of your rights and what you can do and can't...

So something to think abou. Continue on - live your life and don't sweat the legal "small" stuff (someone taking pictures of you in public). It's when folks want to pounce on your legal rights you want to make a fuss.

So what if he's taking pictures. Smile and wave. Why make a fuss... over nothing?

(granted he wasn't in your face... you didn't even know until your GF told you).

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
I do my best to find the positive in things when I do not know all the answers. He may have been taking pictures of "normal people" out in public while armed so that he could show his wife. Or maybe he likes the look of your gun/holster but doesn't want to interrupt your dinner. Or, it may not have anything to do with you but was instead taking shots of someone/something in your direction.

Thinking positive isn't always easy, but it is a lot more enjoyable.

Maybe it's the fact that you and your girlfriend make such a cute couple that he just had to get a picture. :)

Rich

hermannr

OK, lets think about this....your back was turned to him...your girl was facing him...Correct?

Maybe he was taking a picture of your girl, and not you/your sidearm at all, or at the most incidentally.

Why do some that carry get so paranoid?

theaero

OK, lets think about this....your back was turned to him...your girl was facing him...Correct?

Maybe he was taking a picture of your girl, and not you/your sidearm at all, or at the most incidentally.

Why do some that carry get so paranoid?

I wasn't paranoid. She was. If he is photographing her, then her paranoia would be all the more valid. The only thing that ever makes me paranoid OCing is becoming a target because I am armed. I told her the exact things that were said in this thread. He could have been absolutely surprised to see someone carrying a firearm; it could have been his first time. He could have taken that picture, shown someone, been interested, and looked up the laws. This all went through my head. Another educated person could have been the result. That being said, my girlfriend was a bit uncomfortable because of it, for whatever reason. I think for the most part, thats valid, and that was the basis of this thread. Anyone can photograph ME for whatever reason they like. For all I know, they think it will be evidence for a follow up MWAG call. Does this concern me? Not at all. If I saw something I thought was illegal, I'd probably do the same.

I just wanted people's thoughts on this. I didn't make it out to be a bad thing, I just stated my GF was a bit uncomfortable with it. It was very minor, and just felt like sharing. Wasn't making him out to be a rude, law-breaking, privacy-invading nut job did I? :p Didn't mean to :)

Last edited:

FMJ 911

If someone takes a picture of me, the worst thing that will happen is I'll get them trapped into a long conversation about anything! If they like Guns, Cars, or Camping, then you can count on a 2 hour talk occurring!

k.rollin

Maybe you were being photographed to be made an example of. What I mean by this is that if an individual can get close enough to take a clear picture of you with their phone (about 10') without you knowing, that they are within range to make that day your last. I know that armed citizens such as ourselves speak at length about the importance of maintaining situational awareness, and I've noticed a good number of them who fail to practice what they preach. Hell, I've been guilty of it a time or two as I've gotten complacent and accepted a pistol as part of my daily wear.

It may not be a great reason, and I half expect to be called out for suggesting it, but it is true that the man with a cameraphone could be replaced with an adversary and in such a scenario, potentially end your life.

theaero

Maybe you were being photographed to be made an example of. What I mean by this is that if an individual can get close enough to take a clear picture of you with their phone (about 10') without you knowing, that they are within range to make that day your last. I know that armed citizens such as ourselves speak at length about the importance of maintaining situational awareness, and I've noticed a good number of them who fail to practice what they preach. Hell, I've been guilty of it a time or two as I've gotten complacent and accepted a pistol as part of my daily wear.

It may not be a great reason, and I half expect to be called out for suggesting it, but it is true that the man with a cameraphone could be replaced with an adversary and in such a scenario, potentially end your life.

Doubtful, but interesting nonetheless. To be honest, I don't want to be on watch 100% of the time. I ride a motorcycle, and have to focus enough with that as it is. I'm not even a huge fan of open carry. I carry in case I am in a situation where I might have the opportunity for a small amount of surprise or at least a bit of time to react correctly under pressure.

I don't like constantly looking over my shoulder. I want to feel safe. If someone just wants to randomly shoot me, then chances are, it wouldn't be that hard. I look forward 100% of the time, and no matter what I'm doing, my back is always turned in some direction. I will name a few situations that justify my carrying:

1. Road rage incident. Especially with a motorcycle. Someone getting pissed because of a lane change they didn't like, or whatever. They follow me, get out of their car, and come at me with a bat, or whatever. I can draw safely and end the situation without risking much harm to me. People might think this is silly, but these road rage incidents happen ALL the time.

2. Someone ELSE being robbed - If I am in a store, and an armed man decides to hold up the store/bank/whatever, with me in close proximity, I will likely be able to draw my firearm, and be able to prepare themselves if they make a move, aim for me, or whatever.

3. Home defense - my firearm is always within reach. If I hear a noise, or suspect something, I am able to get to my firearm, and prepare myself before anything happens

4. Crazy batman movie shootings, etc. I'm not always going to be on the lookout for a shooter in my everyday life. However, if someone comes into a cafe/theatre/wherever and starts shooting, hopefully I won't be their first target, and I'll be able take cover long enough for me to draw, aim, fire, and end the situation.

These scenarios are why I carry. Will they protect me 100%? No, but at least I have some sense of safety, and I don't have to worry about watching my back 100% of the time. I personally feel like I have pretty good situational awareness. I am an interested person... I like to observe and I do so with everything around me, but not out of fear. I don't want to live my life that way, and pity the people who do. You might live longer, but I don't want to live in fear. I feel safe and content the way I do things now.

My $0.02

sudden valley gunner

I get pictures taken of me every once in awhile , I noticed our group at Starbucks gets photos taken every once in awhile too. I think up here it has more to do with Canadians who rarely encounter firearms wanting to show something to their friends about our state. I don't worry about it.

Last edited:

retrodad

I get pictures taken of me every once in awhile , I noticed our group at Starbucks gets photos taken every once in awhile too. I think up here it has more to do with Canadians who rarely encounter firearms wanting to show something to their friends about our state. I don't worry about it.

Some Canadians are "hilarious". In the past I've seen them in Wade's Guns, pull AK47 clones off the shelf and pose & mug for their friend taking a picture. Fingers on the trigger, of course.

jchen012

I would have whipped out my phone and started taking pictures of him... anyhow good to know that Chipotle is good to go with OC. I live in Old Bellevue so it is really close.

theaero

Yup. Im a regular there, and the employees recognize me when I come in. Nothing has ever been said about my pistol, nor do I think it will in the future.

sudden valley gunner

Some Canadians are "hilarious". In the past I've seen them in Wade's Guns, pull AK47 clones off the shelf and pose & mug for their friend taking a picture. Fingers on the trigger, of course.

The Big 5 here in Bellingham has a rather large sign, prohibiting Canadians from handling the firearms.....:lol: