Thread: Looking for an audio recorder or maybe a better app.

Looking for an audio recorder or maybe a better app.

I know this topic has most likely been discussed until well past time for the comes to home, but I thought I would post my question. I did search , but it mostly came up with discussion of the need for one rather than options of purchasing one. So far, I have been using my phone as my open carry recording device. Today I thought I would listen to some of the stuff it records(which is usually deleted unless I save it), and to my surprise - none of it was understandable. I am not sure if this is the crappy app or the audio recordining capability of my phone (Droid Bionic) either way there is no way that it would do me any good. So my question is: What is a good and affordable audio recorder? Or, if you know of a better android app - I would be willing to give that a try. I found a ton of recorders online but, that doesn't mean they are worth a flip for OC purproses.

I recently bought the Olympus WS-802. It's lightweight. I carry it with the recording turned on all the time. It has a button to lock it so that it doesn't get accidentally switched off. I can stick it in the outside pocket of my bag and it still picks up all audio very clearly.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

I have the Motorola Atrix2 with a 32 gig card. I use "tape a talk". The pro version cost $5and you can customize it. One thing I really like about the program is the ability to send the recording to my email and save it that way too.

Just bought an Olympus VN-702PC. So far, it does everything I want it to do, plus comes with a cable to connect it to a PC for downloading the audio files. I had an older Olympus which was also quite good.

Funny part of the story is that the wife gave her old Olympus (same model as my old one) to our daughter while she was in China. Wife asked me to buy her a new one. I did. She didn't want it; she wanted my old one!! Women!! Love'em, but no man will ever completely understand them!!

On the VN-702PC, you can also add a microSD card which can, depending on the recording mode, give you up to 715 hours of recording time. Better have a couple of sets of spare batteries, though.

One other comment: You can set the voice-activated Record level to where it will pick up the very lowest sounds. Got a lot of interesting capabilities.

No, I do not get a commission on sales..doggone it!!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned
    Should check out its OS compatibility ... I have one that I have to drag out my old XP PC to get it to read.. Works great but getting data off is a pain.

Some will format the sd card too ... so you want to have to buy a new one with every windows change...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Should check out its OS compatibility ... I have one that I have to drag out my old XP PC to get it to read.. Works great but getting data off is a pain.

Some will format the sd card too ... so you want to have to buy a new one with every windows change...
    This is the website for the brand that I bought: http://www.olympusamerica.com

They have several on there. Like I've said, I've gotten good service out of the Olympus products. No compatibility problems, either.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

The Olympus re order I have has the USB jack built right in. It's very convenient. It can upload and charge on the computer - PC & Mac. Supposedly it'll also charge from a USB port in your car.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

I have a small Sony. It's very good at auto-leveling the recording volume.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.