• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

7 blocks OK, but don't get to the 8th -- cops shoot guy - 1 mile walk-chase

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/police-shoot-kill-man-near-nyc-times-square-233435419.html

According to the police account, officers pepper sprayed the man six times but he held onto the knife throughout the seven-block pursuit. At West 37th Street, he lunged at police and two officers shot him in the torso, police said. He was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital.

Really? It took 7 blocks to catch this guy? Keystone cops. NYC has three cops per block ...

11" knife -- that's a 6 inch blade ... nice the cops let him run around swinging at people.

Proof that cops have no duty to protect YOU but when the guy gets within 10' of them ... its a hellfire of bullets ..

Needed to kill him? Subject to debate ... he likely had 20 cops shooting at him (eyewitnesses indicate that more than 2 cops shot at him so I'm guessing 20 cops and its a typo in the article) and they all are not great shots so they may have been aiming for his toes and accidentally shot him in the head.

Cops never should have let him get 1/4 of a block...

If NYC you allow CC or OC, this guy would have never even pulled a knife.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Hey you pull a knife on anyone you should get shot.

But why are the Gestapo harassing a 55yo guy for smoking a joint?

Beretta92FSLady

I wonder why they decided to shoot him at that moment. You would think a couple of them would have tasers, and just open fire on him to see what happens...I say that, because they were all close enough.

MainelyGlock

Geez, so they pepper sprayed him six times and then let him walk several blocks before shooting him? That seems off to me. No one had a taser?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I wonder why they decided to shoot him at that moment.

America's Most Wanted was coming on ... watching that is considered "training". Cops receive training.

I never did ... we only train animals .... like monkeys :):monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

there's one now ... good monkey !!!

Smoke pot??? Punk? We'll hunt you down like we did with this guy who thought he could outrun us at 3 MPH ... our policemen are trained to run at 3 MPH as well so its only a matter of time before we catch up to you - knife welding crazy pot smoker! Then BAM ! 200 9mm rounds .. (2 of which will actually hit you) .. so think about that PUNK! And put down that 32 oz Pepsi .. NYCPD is watching YOU (and feeling you up on the street - NYC or elsewhere - we have bus tokens that are good in NJ baby !!!)

Jack House

our policemen are trained to run at 3 MPH
This must be where they go for that training.

PBMrc.jpg

Ca Patriot

How do you guys think this event should have been handled ? What would be the proper actions police should have taken ?

From what I have seen crazy guys with knives present a difficult situation.

davidmcbeth

Banned
How do you guys think this event should have been handled ? What would be the proper actions police should have taken ?

From what I have seen crazy guys with knives present a difficult situation.

http://www.humanecapture.com/media/

Not a difficult situation ... but police want guns and tazers ... I have one for my rifle .. believe me, it works and works well. I also have a rope that can be shot from my rifle ... I use that more often.

Now Ca Patriot, what would you do if your 14 yr old kid was 1/2 a block down form you and this guy, who just went 6 blocks with cops walking behind him , stabbed your child to death? I imagine you would be a little bit pissed off at the cops, right?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last edited:

Redbaron007

The guy was in Bloomberg's City with a weapon...Bloomberg's followers were demonstrating what happens to people with weapons that are not allowed to have them in the Big City! :banghead:

I know there is more to this story....but the video speaks volumes.

MainelyGlock

Update...

One officer fired nine shots, the other fired three

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/times-square-shooting-why-police-shoot-to-kill-2012-8#ixzz23SpQv1Tc

9 shots? really? 9. Wow.

Even then police fired 12 times Saturday and only seven rounds found their target, the rest went wild and fortunately didn't ricochet or find an innocent bystander.

They were 10 feet away and about 1/2 were off target ... great shootin tex.

Do NYPD officers not get range time outside of the initial qualification test? How do you miss that close?!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do NYPD officers not get range time outside of the initial qualification test? How do you miss that close?!

Because of 2 things: first, handguns are not as accurate as a rifle .... second, people generally don't want to kill other people...I guess that they put some type of value on human life (go figure).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wonder why they decided to shoot him at that moment. You would think a couple of them would have tasers, and just open fire on him to see what happens...I say that, because they were all close enough.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-shooting-many-witnesses-chase-200659999.html According to this and other reports the guy "lunged" at the cops.

Yes, the question of why he was not tazed is puzzling. Maybe NYPD has a policy against it?

As for the 12 shots fired (9 and 3) I see more than anything else one cop essentially performing a magazine dump and the other one joining in the fray out of a startle response. Force Science Institute www.forcescience.org has several reasearch reports on the phenomenon.

stay safe.