• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms laws PDF for smartphones

Ezerharden

Firearms laws for smartphones

Made this for myself because I can never keep the MCL numbers straight. It is not secured so feel free to use/modify for your own needs. Any comments of suggestions are of course welcome.

**UPDATED WITH FEDERAL GFSZ ACT

Attachments

• Firearms Laws.pdf
    388.4 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

That's great because I'm like you, I cant remember all those wretched MCL numbers. Can you work getting the definiton of a "school zone" in there as well? During one of my stops a Wayne State Lt. LEO argued that because I was "near" a conglomeration of schools I was in essence inside a school zone. I disagreed. Twice, he told me to go home and read the Constitution. Had I had something akin to this at my fingertips, it wouldve been great to have been able to read the definition back to him verbatim.

Orion

That's great because I'm like you, I cant remember all those wretched MCL numbers. Can you work getting the definiton of a "school zone" in there as well? During one of my stops a Wayne State Lt. LEO argued that because I was "near" a conglomeration of schools I was in essence inside a school zone. I disagreed. Twice, he told me to go home and read the Constitution. Had I had something akin to this at my fingertips, it wouldve been great to have been able to read the definition back to him verbatim.

Bolded area for easy refernce.

You should have told him that there is nothing in the Constitution about school zones and that he may want to brush up on the laws as well as the Constitution.

Ezerharden

Bolded area for easy refernce.

You should have told him that there is nothing in the Constitution about school zones and that he may want to brush up on the laws as well as the Constitution.

His eyes probably would have glazed over lol.

File updated to add Federal GFSZ Act.

Ezerharden

Ok still playing with the formatting some. Does anyone use an Ebook app such as Ibook? Basically reads .epub files? I have made a version in that and it is much easier to read without the zoom and scroll hassle. I also experimented with a 2" x 3" pdf but text is way big that way, maybe 3 words per line. Again, any feedback welcome.

Ezerharden

Ebook version

Ok still playing with the formatting some. Does anyone use an Ebook app such as Ibook? Basically reads .epub files? I have made a version in that and it is much easier to read without the zoom and scroll hassle. I also experimented with a 2" x 3" pdf but text is way big that way, maybe 3 words per line. Again, any feedback welcome.

Ok, I have a Ebook version (.epub). I use iBook to read these but most any ebook app should work. Advantages this has is easier to read, adjustable font, search, no zoom and scroll, table of contents that you can actually read, bookmarks, and notes.

Added a couple other laws from the MSP Update and the Brochure, plus both main AG opinions.

I will post it if someone can tell me how to upload a 235kb .zip file (says 97kb is max) or how to get the system to accept a .epub file.

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

I am not tech savvy, so how do you alter the PDF file to add more content? I wish to add these things below to what you already have in the document. Why? Because I have had a DPD plainclothes LEO tell me he was going to confiscate my gun if it was found not registered to me. I explained that because I have a valid CPL I can possess any registered pistol. He disagreed and said he was "Taking it!" pounding his fist in the palm of his hand for empahsis.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

(g) The regular and ordinary possession and transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

(2) The amendatory act that added subsection (1)(h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I need to get the State of Michigan definition as to what is a school zone and weapon free zone on this document because I have had LEOs make up their own definitions out of thin air. It would be great to be able to read aloud exactly what the statutes say.

750.237a Individuals engaging in proscribed conduct; violation; penalties; definitions.

Sec. 237a.

(6) As used in this section:

(b) “School” means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12.

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

(d) “Weapon free school zone” means school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property.

cmdr_iceman71

This one here is specifically for anyone who is stopped by a DPD LEO. I feel this is necessary because too many DPD LEOs believe they have the "authority to stop anyone for anything" and arrest you for failure to present I.D.. Below are the criterion for which a DPD LEO must meet before they can stop, question, and search someone. I copied this from Municode.com:

Detroit, Michigan Code of Ordinances - Part III - City Code - Chapter 43 - Police - Article I. - In General:

Sec. 43-1-1. - Authority of police officers to stop, question and search suspicious persons.

(a) When a police officer has reasonable cause to believe that the behavior of an individual warrants further investigation for criminal activity, the officer may stop and question such person.

(b) When a police officer has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to subsection (a) and has reasonable cause to believe there is danger to himself or others, he may conduct a limited search of that person for dangerous weapons. The police officer may take and keep such weapon or any other thing, the possession of which may constitute a crime, until he has completed the questioning at which time he shall either return such property so taken, if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person and dispose of such property according to law.

(c) In enforcing subsections (a) and (b), the police department and the individual police officer will take special care not only to honor the rights of citizens as defined in the United States Constitution but also to safeguard the personal dignity of all those affected by it.

(Code 1964, §§ 39-1-52.3—39-1-52.5)

Case law annotation—Ordinance which authorized police officers to arrest citizens for failure to produce identification was void for vagueness in that it failed to give persons of ordinary intelligence fair notice as to when a police officer might have "reasonable cause to believe" that a person's behavior warranted further investigation for criminal activity and that subsequent failure to identify one's self would lead to arrest. The ordinance also violated the probable cause standard of the fourth amendment by effectively sanctioning full searches on suspicion, without regard for dangerousness, of persons whose activities fell within the ordinance's vague perimeters; People v. DeFillippo, 80 Mich. App. 197, 262 N.W.2d 921(1977). (This applies to wording of section prior to its revision.)

MI_XD

I am not tech savvy, so how do you alter the PDF file to add more content? I wish to add these things below to what you already have in the document. Why? Because I have had a DPD plainclothes LEO tell me he was going to confiscate my gun if it was found not registered to me. I explained that because I have a valid CPL I can possess any registered pistol. He disagreed and said he was "Taking it!" pounding his fist in the palm of his hand for empahsis.

cmdr,
You need to have the program Adobe Acrobat to edit a PDF. Most people only use the free Adobe Reader to view finished PDFs.
Once you create a PDF and lock it, then you need the program to "re-open" the file and edit it.

You can also try using one of the free editors found here.
http://www.labnol.org/software/edit-pdf-files/10870/

Happy New Year to you and Carry on!

MI_XD

Gort

Another option,
Must have e-mail setup on Phone.
Also make a folder called (Gun laws) at your E-mail provider under your Inbox

1. Highlight and copy any document from any web page or downloaded Pdf.
2. Open your Office writer or note pad on your computer, Paste document and make any modifications, when finished, Highlight and Copy.
3. Open your E-mail and compose message to Yourself@address, Paste document into message and send.
4. The message will arrive in Inbox, select and move to (Gun laws) folder
5. On phone open your E-mail find the gun laws folder.

This works for me.