• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Report on my first OC experience

SteveH2210

Hi all,

I just returned from my first OC experience (other than carrying as an armed guard back in the 90s).

While openly carrying my SIG 229, I took a walk from my condo to the Albertsons on 104th and CO Blvd. in Thornton (maybe 4 blocks round trip , so an "OC baby step.") During the trip, I passed by numerous people. No one even batted an eyelash. Not during the walk, and not in the store. Still, I would love to have known what they were thinking, if they even noticed at all. My guess: This guy is a LEO. I was maintaining situational awareness the whole time, visually scanning every person, trying to make eye contact, and making sure I knew where everyone was around me. All-in-all a positive experience. :D

I am still pondering my next steps. They will most likely involve more carry on weekends. I need to figure out how to handle carrying during the week. I work in a Federal office building (not owned by the FEDs but leased by the agency I work for), so carry there is not an option. I am not even clear on whether carry outside the building/having a firearm in my car while it is in the lot outside the building, is legal. Any thoughts or advise on this? I would also be interested in your thoughts/advice regarding leaving a firearm in a car for a long period of time, such as while at work? For now, I am going to do the prudent thing and not take my gun to work.

Bellum_Intus

Pretty typical experience.. =)
I'd say the only thing is don't act any different than you'd normally act, other than living in Yellow (we should do that armed or not)

As far as carrying to work, I carry at work and lock the firearm in the glovebox while in the office.

--Rob

Wolfstanus

Caste law it's an extension of your home. Cc open whatever it's your car.

Example.
Walgreen policy says I can't have it in my truck or on Walgreen property. They also say they reserve the right to inspect my truck if they think I have it there.

I have it. Its there. They can tell me they can do this and that. I say warrant? Then I say lawsuit.

But federal buildings property are other matters than a corporate policy.

Also yes people ignore you through ether not seeing it or not wanting to get involved or not caring. They may take note of you but that's about it. Very few do anything more than that.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Hi all,

I am still pondering my next steps. They will most likely involve more carry on weekends.

Howdy Steve!
If you'd like to tag along with a 'seasoned' carrier, I'd be happy to help you through those initial jitters folks cope with when starting to OC.
PM me if you'd like to run around town and learn more about OC'ing with somebody who has more experience and visit a variety of locations to help you become much more comfortable with the whole concept.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

bogidu

Howdy Steve!
If you'd like to tag along with a 'seasoned' carrier, I'd be happy to help you through those initial jitters folks cope with when starting to OC.
PM me if you'd like to run around town and learn more about OC'ing with somebody who has more experience and visit a variety of locations to help you become much more comfortable with the whole concept.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TWO BIG THUMBS UP to this idea. I kinda wish I'd had that peer-mentoring type situation when I started, it would have really expedited the learning curve and plus you'd have someone to talk about things like firearm retention techniques and training with.

Bellum_Intus

TWO BIG THUMBS UP to this idea. I kinda wish I'd had that peer-mentoring type situation when I started, it would have really expedited the learning curve and plus you'd have someone to talk about things like firearm retention techniques and training with.

MT is our resident NANNY .. :p .

He's good at it..

--Rob

M-Taliesin

He's good at it..

--Rob

Howdy Rob!
Oh.... you didn't actually go there did you? Nanny????
I prefer to think of myself more as a mentor, companion, sidekick or shpadoinkle amigo!
But nanny????

Okay, back to being serious for a moment.

I think we all would like to help advance OC in Colorado. I also like to help folks who are getting started.
When I took up OC, I went out scared spitless. It didn't keep me from doing it, but I certainly had some apprehensions.
It got me to wondering what I could do that might help others starting out.
It's a pretty simple thing, really. Just go run routine errands with a new carrier tagging along.
Don't take much startch out of my gauchies, and they get to ask questions, get answers, see how folks 'in the wild' react,
and sometimes even how to deal with an LEO encounter. (has happened twice while I was mentoring a newbie on a first outing).
They get to see what a non-event carrying can be, observe my decorum when I'm out OC'ing, and how I set people at ease.
They also get the enjoyment of seeing me run around town with a really expensive hat.

I don't think of myself so much as a nanny as a guide into unknown territory. Helps to have a guide so they can learn what they're up against.
Usually having a guide helps, unless your name is George Armstrong Custer. But his problem was mostly that he didn't heed his guides.
They warned him it was gonna be a bad idea to just charge down that valley, but did he listen? Nnnnnoooooooooo! Not Custer!

Anyhow, all that aside, and still trying to return to serious mode, I think it would be great if we could all spend a few hours with newcomers to help them gain confidence.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dilligad316

He's good at it..

--Rob

Besides that if your lucky you might get him to wear his really cool hat and maybe be cool like MT for a day. :lol:

Sorry MT to good to pass up.

I open carried all weekend (Longmont and Lafayette) with only " Thank You for carrying " said if anything.
I only get to open carry on weekends because of the line of work I am in does not permit me to open carry while at work but I am able to CC.
Rather be armed and CCing than unarmed and wishing I had.