• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Owner not welcome at Tobacco Company

richarcm

I gotta say that is surprising for an industry that is being legislated out of business.

The government is not going to let smoking go bankrupt. They demonize it to rationalize increasing the taxes. They make way too much money off of tobacco.

richarcm

And intentionally wrote my letter to be as respectful as possible. For two reasons....first I am not only pro gun but pro private property rights. I see no good reason to seek government regulation (lawsuit) to make them pay for or to prohibit them from making their own rules in their own private property. That is not a direction we need to be headed right now in my opinion. Second I feel that, whether we like it, care for it or not...I believe we need to show as little aggression as possible in protecting our gun rights. The government and the media are trying VERY hard right now to demonize us...to portray us as crazy and mentally insane people..in order to create the public opinion needed to finally push for massive gun control measures. Right now, care for it or not, we would be best to entice these busInesses to respect us, and be our allies. We don't need to create the aggressive persona for the gun grabbers. They want that to be the perception VERY badly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
said Wednesday that the city has not done enough to curb violence in Shockoe Bottom and declared that criminal activity will not be tolerated. "

The 2010 killings led the city to pass an ordinance to clamp down on problem nightclubs.

Jones said Wednesday night that "there are some things we have to do to tighten up the nightclub ordinance."

The city's ordinance includes a definition for a public dance hall and requires venues to obtain a $100 annual permit that can be revoked if problems arise.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And intentionally wrote my letter to be as respectful as possible. For two reasons....first I am not only pro gun but pro private property rights. I see no good reason to seek government regulation (lawsuit) to make them pay for or to prohibit them from making their own rules in their own private property. That is not a direction we need to be headed right now in my opinion. Second I feel that, whether we like it, care for it or not...I believe we need to show as little aggression as possible in protecting our gun rights. The government and the media are trying VERY hard right now to demonize us...to portray us as crazy and mentally insane people..in order to create the public opinion needed to finally push for massive gun control measures. Right now, care for it or not, we would be best to entice these busInesses to respect us, and be our allies. We don't need to create the aggressive persona for the gun grabbers. They want that to be the perception VERY badly.

To each his own Richarcm but the meek really won't inherit anything!

WalkingWolf

Don't let the name confuse you.

The Tobacco Company is an upscale restaurant in a converted tobacco warehouse.

Rut Row~~You caught me with my hand in the Assumption Cookie Jar. Thanks for politely correcting me, now where is that tippin the hat smiley?:dude:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I truly believe this type of sign is read clearly by and attracts the mass murderer.

Would a mass murderer chose a pro-OC event to open fire on where citizens are allowed and encouraged to exercise their God given right to self defense? i.e. NRA event/OC meet and greet? I DARE THEM! :banana:

They hunt for unarmed fish in a barrel-- this sign is honey in a camp ground where campers expect no bears.

<laneswerve>

"...NRA event..." ????!!!!?!?!??!

The NRA disarmed people at their annual meetings in Charlotte. The supposedly-good, supposedly-pro-gun, NRA chose to hold an event where their attendees would be disarmed. Tell me how THAT is any different.

</laneswerve>

Last edited:

TFred

lolwhut?

You have to go outside to smoke at a place called The Tobacco Company?

:eek:
As noted, current name derived from former occupation of the building.

Whether or not they would allow smoking inside, it was all OBE a couple years ago with a new state law. Very few restaurants in Virginia have smoking inside now, they are required to have a completely closed and separately ventilated area if they wish to do so.

I don't really go out of my way to look for them, but I only know of one restaurant that still has a smoking section.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As noted, current name derived from former occupation of the building.

Whether or not they would allow smoking inside, it was all OBE a couple years ago with a new state law. Very few restaurants in Virginia have smoking inside now, they are required to have a completely closed and separately ventilated area if they wish to do so.

I don't really go out of my way to look for them, but I only know of one restaurant that still has a smoking section.

TFred

Not to get too far OT TFred, but there are a lot of Beer joints that just ignore the law. Enforcement is almost impossible.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And isn't it something like a $25 fine? Not worth the time to collect.

I guess you can tell I don't go to too many beer joints! :)

TFred

I don't go to to many beer joints either but I do smoke. There is a very concentrated effort to encourage places to ignore the law....which as I said, is almost unfordable.

A number of the beer joints have gone on record in the press that they will thumb their nose at No Smoking.

This is one case where not giving the bill any teeth is a good thing. The Health Department administers the law but was never given any ticketing powers. In order to fine someone, they have to make the case, contact the police who have to go to a magistrate to get a warrant in order to issue a $25.00 ticket.

There are a few restaurants that look the other way. If you browse this forum you might see someone in a Tux after a political Gala, smoking in a respectable family restaurant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Rut Row~~You caught me with my hand in the Assumption Cookie Jar. Thanks for politely correcting me, now where is that tippin the hat smiley?:dude:

Just doing what we do - keeping each other informed.
hattip.gif

The Airframer

<laneswerve>

"...NRA event..." ????!!!!?!?!??!
The NRA disarmed people at their annual meetings in Charlotte. The supposedly-good, supposedly-pro-gun, NRA chose to hold an event where their attendees would be disarmed. Tell me how THAT is any different.
</laneswerve>

Didn't know that happened. Inserting foot in mouth now.

My original point was the fact that mass-murderers see the "NO FIREARMS" signs and are drawn to them as their killing ground because they know that no equal or greater resistance will be encountered as they mow down unarmed women, children, and men. You just don't see mass murderers showing up at pro-2a establishments that allow and promote CC/OC because they know better.

fjpro2a

Right on the money

"And intentionally wrote my letter to be as respectful as possible. For two reasons....first I am not only pro gun but pro private property rights. I see no good reason to seek government regulation (lawsuit) to make them pay for or to prohibit them from making their own rules in their own private property. That is not a direction we need to be headed right now in my opinion. Second I feel that, whether we like it, care for it or not...I believe we need to show as little aggression as possible in protecting our gun rights. The government and the media are trying VERY hard right now to demonize us...to portray us as crazy and mentally insane people..in order to create the public opinion needed to finally push for massive gun control measures. Right now, care for it or not, we would be best to entice these businesses to respect us, and be our allies. We don't need to create the aggressive persona for the gun grabbers. They want that to be the perception VERY badly."
Stay on course, richarcm!! You are doing it right! Don't be swayed by others saying - THE MEEK WON'T INHERIT ANYTHING, OR - TFRED IS ACTUALLY BEING A LITTLE MILD. Showing the kind of respect you are showing may not get an immediate positive response, but in the long run, it usually works out. It just takes time, something our side should embrace. Stay vigilant.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Didn't know that happened. Inserting foot in mouth now.

My original point was the fact that mass-murderers see the "NO FIREARMS" signs and are drawn to them as their killing ground because they know that no equal or greater resistance will be encountered as they mow down unarmed women, children, and men. You just don't see mass murderers showing up at pro-2a establishments that allow and promote CC/OC because they know better.

Ya know, I don't know if crazies care or not; anyone have a study? It certainly matters nonetheless as to the ability to create more carnage.

Bowesmobile

I know personally I dont need a study to see exactly where the most recent crazies all targeted. Every one was an area where people were not allowed to carry! Movie theater, school, school, school. So to me it seems obvious that these areas are targeted. The reason why seems like it should be common sense as well. No guns means no resistance. One time when the gunman was faced with resistance, he surrendered. So the study is life. Look around at the results.