• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops do NOT prevent crime

Skip D

+1

There is another case I remember about a woman with a restraining order that ended up making it to SCOTUS as well.

I try to remind people that the "To Protect and Serve" on the side of patrol cars is an advertising slogan similar to the McDonalds "I'm lovin' it.".

Both serve to project a corporate image, neither should be taken at face value.

After reading this,,, I agree

Deanimator

I'm sure that cops PREVENT a certain number of crimes at various times, merely by deterrence. Most criminals avoid active resistance. It turns crime into actual WORK, which they avoid like the plague. If there's a visible cop some place, there probably won't be an overt criminal act in THAT place.

What cops DON'T do is protect individuals who don't have personal bodyguard details.

1. Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
  2. Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
  3. Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

Police don't protect individuals. They draw chalk outlines around individuals who don't protect themselves.

If you're not willing and able to protect yourself, you're just not going to get protected AT ALL. Anybody who tells you different is a liar.

Deanimator

But they do "serve and protect" .. just not you ...

They are not imbeciles, just brainwashed into thinking the guberment has the ability to protect them...
No, some of them are imbeciles, in particular the ones who stick with fantasy when you explain reality to them, including citations of Supreme Court cases.

Some people can be educated.

Others just have to be ignored.

sudden valley gunner

I had a bunch of stuff ripped off on a job across the street and up a little on the same block as the police station. You can see the cop shop from my work place.....they didn't prevent that one.

twoskinsonemanns

I had a bunch of stuff ripped off on a job across the street and up a little on the same block as the police station. You can see the cop shop from my work place.....they didn't prevent that one.

Cops may prevent crime by accident. :D
But there main job is to draw chalk outlines and reports of what the body looks like. :lol:

Sorry this is a jest. I have nothing good to add I just haven't said anything in a while.

thunderbolt

Lol ..

Again... I do not dislike cops, in general. Some I do not trust, some I do, and some are good friends.

Most genuinely believe that they are making a difference. Even if it means blurring the line of citizens' rights. I don't agree, but that's their position, right or wrong.

But I think that most police officers, deep down, know that they can only be so effective. They can't be everywhere at once.

I think that also they occasionally, by proxy, may prevent a crime or two, simply by being "at the right place, at the right time". But based, on the # of cops per person in population, the percentage is pretty damn low. Just a guess.

T.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2