• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry and Concealed

jruck

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I am new to guns and new to the law. I just went through 8 hour NRA CPL class recently.

I just received my CPL permit this week from Wayne County, Michigan, and I am still nervous on what I should do, I would probably just produce my license and cpl permit, however what will happen if I do that when they ask me for it? I seen on other sites and youtube where they denied it. I would personally produce it, however would that be bad idea for me to do that?

Have you ever been pulled over while carrying? Do you actually announce that you are carrying or do you just give him your cpl permit and license?

Where do you normally NOT carry?

Like WalMart, Meijer, etc? After going through the course and everything, getting my card, i feel like you basically cannot carry it anywhere.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I am new to guns and new to the law. I just went through 8 hour NRA CPL class recently.

I just received my CPL permit this week from Wayne County, Michigan, and I am still nervous on what I should do, I would probably just produce my license and cpl permit, however what will happen if I do that when they ask me for it? I seen on other sites and youtube where they denied it. I would personally produce it, however would that be bad idea for me to do that?

Have you ever been pulled over while carrying? Do you actually announce that you are carrying or do you just give him your cpl permit and license?
----------------------------------------------
Wow - assuming you are not one of the resident trolls of this forum, I would ask for your money back if you paid attention in your cpl class and do not know the answer. Not picking on you but for an instructor not to tell you that you must disclose immediately if carrying under a cpl while driving or carrying concealed on foot when stopped by a agent of the law, is troubling. :confused:

------------------_-------

Like WalMart, Meijer, etc? After going through the course and everything, getting my card, i feel like you basically cannot carry it anywhere.

Again your instrutor did you a dis-service. You can carry concealed or open at any of these places IF you have a cpl. If you do not have a cpl you cannot carry OPENLY at any place that has a license to sell booze and other places such as polling place, event with seating over 2500 etc... please read the stickies here and at michigan open carry .org :D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

jruck

What exactly do you want to know? The legal sites and all the info you need are at the places I suggested above.

lol my apologizes, I did not see your replies within my quote.

I am def. not a troll. I actually am in Wayne county, I see you are from Taylor. I am from Lincoln Park. So I would like to get more details from you.

I was trained to verbally announce that I am armed with a firearm and produce my CPL and drivers license to the officer.

The other question I was trying to figure out more details than the literate and class teaches.

Especially in terms of open carry and officers, and concealed/opencarry etc

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Got it.

While open carrying on foot you are not required to identify yourself at all. See MSP legal update no. 86.

You're CPL exempts you from many of the restrictions that affect non CPL open carry. Yes technically you can open carry in a movie house in MI, however private property law trumps your exemption and upon request you must leave a places that the owner or agent of said owner asks you to, or face tresspass charges.

jruck

Got it.

While open carrying on foot you are not required to identify yourself at all. See MSP legal update no. 86.

You're CPL exempts you from many of the restrictions that affect non CPL open carry. Yes technically you can open carry in a movie house in MI, however private property law trumps your exemption and upon request you must leave a places that the owner or agent of said owner asks you to, or face tresspass charges.

Yeah, I def. do not want to do that.

So does downriver police seem pretty good or no?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, I def. do not want to do that.

So does downriver police seem pretty good or no?

Just depends on the city, they have all been trained but the rule of 10 applies, meaning in any workforce there are 10% of the staff that just do not give a damn and will try to bend the rules. Why should police be any different?

Remember - rinse, wash, repeat. You can find that on michigan open carry or the stickies here too if I remember correctly.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
If you are going to carry on a regular basis, please consider carrying at minimum a voice recorder. It can make a huge difference in what was actually said - done versus what ends up in a report.:sly:

Never hurts to have documentation of yours and others actions and words. In general you should be fine carring downriver. Southgate has been sued and lost. Many other cities in the area have met with or been contacted by open carry advocates. It is always best to start slow - try to make one of the events that my friend mrmike40cal has planned for this area. It is always easier when you have a pool of knowledge to dip your toes in before you jump in head first. :p

Last edited:

jruck

If you are going to carry on a regular basis, please consider carrying at minimum a voice recorder. It can make a huge difference in what was actually said - done versus what ends up in a report.:sly:

Never hurts to have documentation of yours and others actions and words. In general you should be fine carring downriver. Southgate has been sued and lost. Many other cities in the area have met with or been contacted by open carry advocates. It is always best to start slow - try to make one of the events that my friend mrmike40cal has planned for this area. It is always easier when you have a pool of knowledge to dip your toes in before you jump in head first. :p

for sure... thanks bro. appreciate it

HKcarrier

If you get pulled over it would be good to have your Lic and CPL ready and in your hand with your hands on the steering wheel ready for the officer before he approaches the vehicle... then as he approaches you can take your hand with the cards off the steering wheel hand them both to him thru the 1/2way rolled down window and tell him "I need to let you know I have a CPL I am in fact carrying today".

He will probably ask you where it is and respond informing him of the location. He will give you instructions from there.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Hey everyone,

When pulled over, much like the other responses, I have just informed the officer that I have a CPL and that the pistol is (wherever it is located).
I carry everywhere. If I am carrying concealed and need to go into an area deemed "Pistol Free"(sic), I then just switch to Open Carry. But, since I Open Carry most of the time, no changeover is needed.
The only places I go in which I don't carry is the Kent County Court Building and the Friend of the Court Offices in downtown GR which are areas under the control of the Michigan Supreme Court's order prohibiting firearms.

lapeer20m

For clarification:

If you are carrying concealed or carrying in your vehicle and are stopped, you are required to immediately disclose. You are also required to present id/cpl upon request.

When you hear audio of people who refuse to present id, these people are generally open carrying. While open carrying, one is not required to produce or even carry id or other paperwork.

jruck

Say, "I have a CPL and a handgun". Keep your hands visible, any movenents should be slow.

Say you have a CPL then say you have a gun. prolly not the best for your first words to a cop to be "i have a gun". :p

I was trained to say "I have a CPL and a firearm, it is ______ Located here"

I think my main thing was if I was to open carry or get stopped by police, I want to cooperate out of respect, but I also do not want to get in trouble. So trying to figure out the best way from a political and cooperating standpoint.

I have viewed some of videos of people being confronted by police and sure they are legal but they are being ******** to the cops, and I am affraid if I pull that card cops like ones in Detroit will not give two ***** and just take me out of my element.

DanM

jruck said:
I have viewed some of videos of people being confronted by police and sure they are legal but they are being ******** to the cops

When it comes to law-abiding gun carriers, what you either fail to mention or the video didn't capture and you didn't see was the preceding scene with the cop(s) being ******** to the law-abiding gun carrier.

It is morally permissible, indeed a moral imperative sometimes, to respond in kind. As Jesus said, "Do unto others as they are doing unto you." That was Jesus Morales, one of my Army buddies, and he's a pretty smart dude.

Officer Friendly gets (guarded) cooperation.

Officer Rude gets assertion of rights or silence. Bad officer! No donut for you!

jruck said:
, and I am affraid if I pull that card cops like ones in Detroit will not give two ***** and just take me out of my element.

If you have reason to fear the LEO in front of you will abuse his powers against you, of course you should actually exercise your right to silence. No one here is an idiot telling you to verbally assert your rights if it reasonably looks like it probably will result in an illegal LEO beat-down. The time for asserting your rights will be later, when you submit a rights-abuse complaint with the officer's department and/or the FBI.

Last edited:

Phil McCracken

When it comes to law-abiding gun carriers, what you either fail to mention or the video didn't capture and you didn't see was the preceding scene with the cop(s) being ******** to the law-abiding gun carrier.

It is morally permissible, indeed a moral imperative sometimes, to respond in kind. As Jesus said, "Do unto others as they are doing unto you." That was Jesus Morales, one of my Army buddies, and he's a pretty smart dude.

Officer Friendly gets (guarded) cooperation.

Officer Rude gets assertion of rights or silence. Bad officer! No donut for you!

If you have reason to fear the LEO in front of you will abuse his powers against you, of course you should actually exercise your right to silence. No one here is an idiot telling you to verbally assert your rights if it reasonably looks like it probably will result in an illegal LEO beat-down. The time for asserting your rights will be later, when you submit a rights-abuse complaint with the officer's department and/or the FBI.

In June 2010, the Supreme Court ruled in Berghuis v. Thompkins that criminal suspects must now unambiguously invoke their right to remain silent. Unless and until the suspect actually states that she is relying on that right, her subsequent voluntary statements can be used in court and police can continue to interact with (or question) her. The mere act of remaining silent is, on its own, insufficient to imply the suspect has invoked her rights. Furthermore, a voluntary reply even after lengthy silence can be construed as implying a waiver.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I was trained to say "I have a CPL and a firearm, it is ______ Located here"

I think my main thing was if I was to open carry or get stopped by police, I want to cooperate out of respect, but I also do not want to get in trouble. So trying to figure out the best way from a political and cooperating standpoint.

I have viewed some of videos of people being confronted by police and sure they are legal but they are being ******** to the cops, and I am affraid if I pull that card cops like ones in Detroit will not give two ***** and just take me out of my element.

I dont tell them where unless they ask.

Respect?!? They dont respect you... Respect trust and friendship are too valuable to just be handed out. Those three must be earned, then they must be maintained, once they are lost, they are seldom if ever, returned.

Respond in kind as DanM has said.