• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying confused....

Bronson

i have been through the cpl class back in 06....but i never did apply which i wish i would have now i'll have to take the class all over again

Why? The certificate you got from the class doesn't expire. As long as it has the required wording I'd just submit the thing.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5s...&query=on&highlight=concealed AND certificate

(c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. Not later than October 1, 2004, the certificate of completion shall contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”

Bronson

Maine Expat

Thanks Maine....

I thought i did post it in MICHIGAN....lol
at least thats where it's showing up at, guess i'll wait and see if i get some locals to chime in on it. And i agree.....an empty chamber is useless, but the law is the law and thats why i need to find out about it, because i'm sure a "bad guy" doesn't have an empty chamber and the the difference between life and death is a mere miliseconds...

FOOP! Yeah I noticed that later and forgot to come back and edit the MI board part in my post. Looks like you're getting the low down on your Q now though. Sucks gettin old, the memory is like a steal sieve. :lol:

Didn't see a new thread dealing with your preemption issue, but a well worded email to your town manager & Police Chief should get the ball rolling to make the change to legality for the town.

YOUR MOC mates should know exactly what to do.

Last edited:

Bubba72

@ Bronson......That's what i thought as well that the certificate DOESN'T expire, but from i've been told from friends and relatives is that Wayne County will NOT accept the certificate if it's older than 6 months.

Bubba72

Here's what I was told told by the I LEO that i was told to call today and talk to.....

He said that Romulus doesn't have an ordinace against oc because the state law says we have the right to oc and local ordinances can't trump state law. He also said that if someone was to call the police and when the officer arrived/stop me the LEO coudln't do anything, as long as it's in the holster and that you CAN have a round chambered in while oc, then he went on about if i was to get into a vehicle, put on a jacket or anything in the way to conceal it THEN i would have to have a cpl cuz it's then considered carry concealed.....

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Here's what I was told told by the I LEO that i was told to call today and talk to.....

He said that Romulus doesn't have an ordinace against oc because the state law says we have the right to oc and local ordinances can't trump state law. He also said that if someone was to call the police and when the officer arrived/stop me the LEO coudln't do anything, as long as it's in the holster and that you CAN have a round chambered in while oc, then he went on about if i was to get into a vehicle, put on a jacket or anything in the way to conceal it THEN i would have to have a cpl cuz it's then considered carry concealed.....

Okay to make you feel better here's a cliff noted story. I have a friend who lives in Romulus. We decide to meet up at McDonalds for some food. We are both carrying our pistols (in a legal manner) when every kind of cop known to man starts appearing... I think man good thing I have video and audio records rolling, cause this is one hell of a response for a couple of OCers....he and I not being aware that the presidential motorcade is about to go by on the way to the airport. Guess what? Not one word from them about our weapons. So clearly OC is legal, in Romulus and MI. :D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

His words to you are correct, but there are many little catch 22's that can get you jammed up if you are not careful. Read, read and read more...then come back here, call the radio show, or attend a meeting, look for posts by mrmike40cal he's been holding events in your area. You just missed one in wyandotte, but there is one in monroe very soon I think? Yes see the sticky about the rally on Aug. 25 in monroe that's just 15 min down 275 for you. You'll get to meet onnie, ezra, and other oc gurus. I'd tell you to talk to the Q but you'd never get a word in...unless you are that guy who did the old micro machines commercials who talks SUPER fast :p

Last edited:

Bubba72

i think i might just have to hit monroe on the 25th, and i even told to LEO i talked to today what the other officer told me on the phone last night and he even chucled and said it legal to open carry in Romulus. I hope the officer for last gets at least a talking to about knowing oc is perfectly legal in Romulus and gets a refresher course on laws and civil rights......

TheQ

His words to you are correct, but there are many little catch 22's that can get you jammed up if you are not careful. Read, read and read more...then come back here, call the radio show, or attend a meeting, look for posts by mrmike40cal he's been holding events in your area. You just missed one in wyandotte, but there is one in monroe very soon I think? Yes see the sticky about the rally on Aug. 25 in monroe that's just 15 min down 275 for you. You'll get to meet onnie, ezra, and other oc gurus. I'd tell you to talk to the Q but you'd never get a word in...unless you are that guy who did the old micro machines commercials who talks SUPER fast :p

"You can always tell a German, but you can't tell him much!"

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
thanks glock9mm, and bikenut......i understand the law, i have been through the cpl class back in 06....but i never did apply which i wish i would have now i'll have to take the class all over again which is also fine with me, but i don't remember them touching on if your handgun can be loaded or unloaded while doing an oc. does anyone know of when an oc picnic/gathering/meet and greet thats in the romulus are, detroit metro airport is in my backyard?

thanks mor the insight
You don't have to take the class again. Where does it say you do?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
i actually called the PD cuz my wife was uncomfortable about it, she WASN"T uncomfortable with me carrying BUT uncomfortable about getting the police called on me and me getting arrested. My phone call went like this:

Me: Michigan is an open carry state and i don't have a cpl, is it legal for me to open carry when my wife and i walk at night?
Officer: Ummm.....yes it is, But you HAVE to have a cpl to carry a handgun in Romulus
Me: If Michigan is an open carry state, then why can't i oc?
Officer: You'll have to call tomorrow and ask for Sgt. ********* , he knows the in's and out's about the oc laws, bye

That's in a nutshell how our whole minute to minute and a hlaf conversation.

I did read about the military person that was arrested, detained, handgun siezed, and verbally harassed over on the west side of the state. Yes he was released and charges dropped but he had to get a lawyer, and he then turned and sued the county and city in federal court for harassment and damages, the outcome of it is yet not known......well, at least I haven't heard the outcome of his case.

Bottom line......local ordinace should not trump state law, and it doesn't.....But! is it worth the possible outcome of being arrested and lawyer fees that i can't afford and then turn around and sue the city? Not at this time, but i assure you this......I'm going to get to the bottom of this and take on the fight if i have too.

I also read the thread from 2yrs ago with the letter written to the mayor of Romulus and was responded to by a city council member, and the council member says he will check into it. But from what I read in that thread it didn't show a update since the response for Romulus.

I will call the police department tomorrow and see what information I'm given and pass it on to everyone through this thread. Not just for my knowledge, but for anyone who wants to oc in Romulus either a resident or a nonresident of Romulus.....

That was in the very early stages of the OC movement in Michigan. The man sued and got a settlement and the PD trained on OC.

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

thanks glock9mm, and bikenut......i understand the law, i have been through the cpl class back in 06....but i never did apply which i wish i would have now i'll have to take the class all over again which is also fine with me, but i don't remember them touching on if your handgun can be loaded or unloaded while doing an oc. does anyone know of when an oc picnic/gathering/meet and greet thats in the romulus are, detroit metro airport is in my backyard?

thanks mor the insight

Your certificate does not expire.

Small_Arms_Collector

If you learned the law from a CPL class, you more than likely learned it wrong! We get more people here than you would believe taht get some really screwed up ideas from class. Its almost funny.

The first worst place to get info on gun laws is from a cop. The second worst place to get info in gun laws is from a CPL instructor.

As a CPL instructor, I resent that remark. It's true that there are to many instructors out there that are idiots, and have no business teaching, but there are good ones to. I go out of my way to mention OC, and the legalities of it in my classes.

Small_Arms_Collector

WOW!!! I just found out that my city has an ordinance saying that you CAN"T open carry a hand gun, you can only carry if you have a cpl.....

Does this mean that local ordinance trumps STATE LAW? If so.....how can that be?

Nope, see MCL 123.1102.

The local ordinance is illegal, and unenforceable. If they attempt to enforce it, not only will it not stick, but you can sue them not just for violating the State Preemption law (MCL 123.1102), but also for false imprisonment, Color Of Law Violations, slander, defamation etc., and civil rights violations under title 18 USC.

stainless1911

Banned
As a CPL instructor, I resent that remark. It's true that there are to many instructors out there that are idiots, and have no business teaching, but there are good ones to. I go out of my way to mention OC, and the legalities of it in my classes.

I would say that you are the exception, not the rule. I now know that you do, Scott Webb does, and Mark Cortis does, but I have heard stories upon stories of those with too much misinformation.

griffin

Small_Arms_Collector, my first CC class (pre-shall issue days) was full of misinformation! And it was taught by the local Asst. Prosecutor and sheriff.