• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental or Negligent?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
A coworker of mine was carrying his RIA compact .45 (series 70) in condition 2 as always. He was moving a bed and bent over to pick it up when *BOOM* his 1911 burned his butt cheek and put a round through his pants. He was confused when I told him that it is unsafe to carry with the hammer down. For one, to get to that position you have to pull the trigger with a round in the tube when your intent is not to fire the weapon. Pull trigger - don't want to fire weapon = "does not compute." I'm assuming his shirt caught the hammer and before the half cock position it became free and had enough energy to send the firing pin into the primer.

I post this just as a reminder that cocked and locked is the safest way to carry a chambered 1911 (series 70).

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
When asked about the holster he said he had an IWB leather holster. That's it. He has no idea what kind it was. I'm assuming open top.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A coworker of mine was carrying his RIA compact .45 (series 70) in condition 2 as always. He was moving a bed and bent over to pick it up when *BOOM* his 1911 burned his butt cheek and put a round through his pants. He was confused when I told him that it is unsafe to carry with the hammer down. For one, to get to that position you have to pull the trigger with a round in the tube when your intent is not to fire the weapon. Pull trigger - don't want to fire weapon = "does not compute." I'm assuming his shirt caught the hammer and before the half cock position it became free and had enough energy to send the firing pin into the primer.

I post this just as a reminder that cocked and locked is the safest way to carry a chambered 1911 (series 70).

Negligence is my take ...

PistolPackingMomma

His negligence caused an accident.

The real question is, is he going to learn from this and be more responsible? Or will he merely stop carrying with one in the pipe?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
His negligence caused an accident.

The real question is, is he going to learn from this and be more responsible? Or will he merely stop carrying with one in the pipe?

after informing him about the difference between series 80 and series 70 and the proper way to carry a loaded 1911 I think he will be switching to cocked/locked.

can you just imagine if someone at the table across from you at a restaurant bent over to pick something up and a round just goes off next to you and your family? luckily no one was hurt. it just makes me think though, how many people are out and about every day around me concealing a series 70 1911 in condition 2?

*sigh* if open carry was legal in FL we would probably see more people carrying in more secure OWB holsters. Not that you can't safely carry a 1911 IWB, or that this was at all the holsters fault, but a condition 2 1911 in a nice OWB not underneath however many layers of clothes probably wouldn't have got the hammer caught on clothes... (assuming that is exactly what happened, I can't imagine another way of it being set off just from bending over.)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious if he has one of those 2-pound triggers 1911 guys love to brag about.

Nah, it was just a stock compact RIA 1911. Someone who doesn't care to know what kind of holster they carry with isn't interested in a trigger job.

43404d1334074385-ria-compact-img_1106.jpg

WalkingWolf

Nah, it was just a stock compact RIA 1911. Someone who doesn't care to know what kind of holster they carry with isn't interested in a trigger job.

43404d1334074385-ria-compact-img_1106.jpg

I was going to ask how the grip safety got depressed but I see, beaver tail grip safety. There was a reason Browning designed it with the original grip safety. I like straps over or under my hammers, depending on the gun, at the very least a leather thong. Still confused as to how the trigger got pulled in a IWB holster. May be a defective firearm. Half cock has a notch machined in it, so without the trigger pulled and the grip safety pressed it will not fire, unless dropped. Beaver tails do get caught on clothing, I personally would never use them.

WalkingWolf

Can somebody explain how the 1911 grip safety works?

Well I will try~~When the safety is not depressed it blocks the trigger bar from rearward movement that would engage the sear. When depressed the link or bar off that is inside the 1911 raises up to allow access to the sear.