Thread: Another campus related shooting.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Another campus related shooting.

Multiple victims, little info so far.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Texas A&M University says a shooter has been taken into custody near its campus in College Station after he allegedly shot and injured two police officers.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Update

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- 3:45 p.m.
    Police say at least one law enforcement officer and one civilian have been killed in a shooting near Texas A&M University's campus.
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...us-ar-2128244/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

News outlets are now saying the suspect also died from gunshot wounds, Grape. So that makes it three dead.

At least it wasn't a campus shooting. Reportedly involved an "assault" rifle whatever the definition of that is in media parlance.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post

Reportedly involved an "assault" rifle whatever the definition of that is in media parlance.
    The media thinks that this is a gun that can shoot more than 1 round in its lifetime as a weapon.

Confirmed 3 dead, Constable, Civilian, and the shooter. One woman still in serious condition in the hospital. One other officer shot in the leg. A few other victims with unknown injuries in unknown condition (hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen).
    The constable was serving an eviction notice when the shooter opened fire.
    Since we still can't carry on campus around here, I have chosen to stay home rather than attend the Vigil that is currently being held on campus.
    Check out www.kbtx.com for the local news report.
    Just 'for the record'... This was NOT a 'campus' shooting as it was originally being reported. This same tragedy happens all over the country without getting this type of coverage all the time. Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy especially since this happened in my town! I simply am trying my best to convey the FACTS as they are.
    Praying for the victims and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator5713 View Post
    Confirmed 3 dead, Constable, Civilian, and the shooter. One woman still in serious condition in the hospital. One other officer shot in the leg. A few other victims with unknown injuries in unknown condition (hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen).

The constable was serving an eviction notice when the shooter opened fire.
    Since we still can't carry on campus around here, I have chosen to stay home rather than attend the Vigil that is currently being held on campus.

Check out www.kbtx.com for the local news report.
    Just 'for the record'... This was NOT a 'campus' shooting as it was originally being reported. This same tragedy happens all over the country without getting this type of coverage all the time. Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy especially since this happened in my town! I simply am trying my best to convey the FACTS as they are.

Praying for the victims and their families.
    Case of shooting the messenger of unwanted news - always a bad thing.

Don't know what original report to which you refer, but was first reported here as "near" the campus. I find that coverage is very intense in any/all multiple shootings. Locally people often react with "there but for the grace of G*d go I" - brings it home and it becomes decidedly personal.

Stepping up to the plate -----

Romney told reporters that gun laws aren’t the answer to such incidents, and Perry told Fox News that he does not agree with the notion that disarming law-abiding citizens will make the country safer.

http://www.examiner.com/article/perr...alerts_article

Well then, Perry, stop talkin about it and start pushing for campus and constitutional carry.

The other man shot was reported to be the landlord evicting the shooter. Tax records show he owned several houses in the area, but I have not confirmed that this was his house. We should avoid saying that he was a bystander or other uninvolved party. The victims were not random or accidental. The killer was obviously disturbed, having been through a divorce and other tribulations recently. Again showing the need to get help for people in crisis.

Although we don't have details, we may find that being harsh and uncaring isn't always the best solution, even for people who don't pay their rent.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    The other man shot was reported to be the landlord evicting the shooter. Tax records show he owned several houses in the area, but I have not confirmed that this was his house. We should avoid saying that he was a bystander or other uninvolved party. The victims were not random or accidental. The killer was obviously disturbed, having been through a divorce and other tribulations recently. Again showing the need to get help for people in crisis.

Although we don't have details, we may find that being harsh and uncaring isn't always the best solution, even for people who don't pay their rent.
    Because forcing people get treatment because a 3rd party believes they need it is so not like forcing people to pay for health insurance that they don't want. I don't believe the government HAS (or is supposed to have) the authority to make us get treatment for ANYTHING. Next we will have government mandated mental health screening complete with a cabinet full of medications to calm us down because we are a danger to society. And a tax (and/or incarceration in a psych facility) for failure to take the medication.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

I think my point was that if a landlord think there will be a problem with an eviction, having law enforcement visit them for a forced eviction may not be the best way to handle it. It is all landlords have in many places, but maybe there is a better way to handle these things.

A friend of mine is a well regarded officer who personally knew Constable Bachmann, and he respected him as a fair and friendly officer. No matter how well it was handled, the situation was by nature adversarial and anything would likely have been better than this outcome.